Last edit by: Moderator2
Print Wikipost

Motion Passed 8-0-1: Amendment to TB Guidelines

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bdschobel
When one person engages in purposely disruptive and attention-seeking behavior, it's a bit much to ask the rest of us to maintain respect for that person. And, in fact, it became quite clear over the course of this year that many of us had lost respect, and the collegial atmosphere was lost. Nevertheless, we continued to plod along, devising changes to our procedures that would prevent one TalkBoard member from interfering with the good volunteer work that the rest of us wanted to do.

You may believe -- and you are entitled to believe -- that comity and collegiality trump everything else. I do not. I ran for TalkBoard to actually accomplish something occasionally. When one person repeatedly stood in the way of that goal, I reacted. And I was far from alone. Everything that I said and did over the past two years was intended to make FlyerTalk a better place, and I did that, despite various obstacles.

Bruce
It's easy to be collegial when everyone is on the same page and is getting along.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Yes, it is. But we have no control over who gets elected, and a person who decides to be disruptive may well succeed in that goal.

Bruce
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
a person who decides to be disruptive may well succeed in that goal.
Indeed as you've repeatedly demonstrated. The irony is the reaction is far worse than the action.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I disagree, but that's OK.

Bruce
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tcook052
I did several years back when I believed TB was relevant and necessary.
If TalkBoard is irrelevant and unnecessary why do you spend so much of your time here criticizing our actions?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:43 am

When one person engages in purposely disruptive and attention-seeking behavior, it's a bit much to ask the rest of us to maintain respect for that person.
I see so TB members can choose to ignore TB Guidelines they don't like if there are personality conflicts you're saying. Why amend TB Guidelines then if they aren't to be followed?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nobody has ignored, as you suggest, Talkboard guidelines. Civility does not equal never ever disagreeing. You need to examine your own standards.

Bruce
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:16 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Indeed as you've repeatedly demonstrated. The irony is the reaction is far worse than the action.
IMHO, the reaction to the 'working to the book' behavior has been muted and relatively civil: we groused a bit then changed the book so that working to it would be less disruptive. @:-)^

Same as the TB did last time one of its members was purposefully gumming up the works.

IMHO and YMMV!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:54 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The irony is the reaction is far worse than the action.
That's a hazard we all need to consider, especially if the problem is likely to continue.

I encountered an extreme example two days ago in real life. At a store an obviously mentally ill customer was berating the check-out clerk incomprehensibly. The clerk said nothing in response, finally handing the customer the receipt saying "Have a nice day". The customer left, muttering more complaints nobody could understand.

Had the clerk engaged in any debate the argument would probably have escalated, possibly requiring summoning the police. This way the situation ended as well as it could have. It was unpleasant for the clerk and for other customers like me, but it did not become dangerous.

The point is that sometimes quietly tolerating a tense situation is actually the best you can do.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:41 am

Nobody has ignored, as you suggest, Talkboard guidelines. Civility does not equal never ever disagreeing. You need to examine your own standards.
I'd suggest you need to examine yours as the TB Guidelines specifically prohibit the kind of conduct you've engaged in numerous times in the last year. It should be up to the rest of TB to act when it's codes of conduct are not followed.

Originally Posted by nsx
That's a hazard we all need to consider, especially if the problem is likely to continue.

I encountered an extreme example two days ago in real life. At a store an obviously mentally ill customer was berating the check-out clerk incomprehensibly. The clerk said nothing in response, finally handing the customer the receipt saying "Have a nice day". The customer left, muttering more complaints nobody could understand.

Had the clerk engaged in any debate the argument would probably have escalated, possibly requiring summoning the police. This way the situation ended as well as it could have. It was unpleasant for the clerk and for other customers like me, but it did not become dangerous.

The point is that sometimes quietly tolerating a tense situation is actually the best you can do.
Completely agree that the reaction must not always have to be equal to or greater than the action.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Sadly that doesn't seem to case as more TB dysfunction on display during the election for all to see here.
Guess I should prepare myself to be a one-term member, as I don't plan to stop calling out TB members who fail to live up to their responsibilities to the membership. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. TB members should be held accountable. If that involves snarkiness or name calling, I won't apologize. I expect the same coming back to me. If I don't vote on an issue or find a way to hold a TB/FT process hostage, I would want someone to call me out publicly and make the membership aware of my actions.

I'm for 100% transparency and accountability. I'm on record as wishing there was no private TB forum (but understand that's never going to happen). I will vote for others who share this view. Clearly several candidates do not.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva
TB members should be held accountable.
Completely agree.

If that involves snarkiness or name calling, I won't apologize.
Completely disagree. Perhaps you can explain given what's clearly written in the TB Guidelines as to member terms of conduct why you feel it necessary to resort to name calling and snark.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When a TalkBoard member is being intentionally disruptive and "gumming up the works," as I have said, then the general membership has a right to know what is causing delays and other problems. That is not the same at all as "name-calling." I confess that some of us became a bit snarky when publicly (and privately) discussing the situation. I am not going to defend snarkiness, obviously, but can we please stop acting like TalkBoard members are delicate flowers who shrivel up and die at the slightest criticism? We are big boys and girls. We can -- and have -- dealt with this situation. It has had no perceptible impact on FlyerTalk in general. As far as I can tell, all of this complaining is essentially politicking: attempting to impugn the character of certain TalkBoard candidates. That's undeserved.

Bruce
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Completely disagree. Perhaps you can explain given what's clearly written in the TB Guidelines as to member terms of conduct why you feel it necessary to resort to name calling and snark.
Exactly. "Resort". It's not a starting point. Fail to vote without communicating why or hold a process hostage and I'm going to convey that action to the membership and call you out for it. Because that's what it deserves. TB members have taken on a clearly defined role. We all know what the job entails on the front end. Can't do it? Don't run? Can't do it after you've taken on the job? Resign and let someone else do the job. It's really simple.

There's a huge difference between random snark for no reason and being called on the carpet for shirking one's duty. That's part of being a team. Again, I want to be held to the same standard. If I don't pull my weight, tell me and the membership in no uncertain terms.

I sense that there's a lot of thin skin on the part of some folks running for office this year. What I want to know is, what are the newcomers planning to do if the perceived snark and name calling persist?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Guess I should prepare myself to be a one-term member, as I don't plan to stop calling out TB members who fail to live up to their responsibilities to the membership. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. TB members should be held accountable. If that involves snarkiness or name calling, I won't apologize. I expect the same coming back to me. If I don't vote on an issue or find a way to hold a TB/FT process hostage, I would want someone to call me out publicly and make the membership aware of my actions.

I'm for 100% transparency and accountability. I'm on record as wishing there was no private TB forum (but understand that's never going to happen). I will vote for others who share this view. Clearly several candidates do not.
Hold on a second. I thought there was to be no electioneering here.

(1) I would've eliminated the private forum years ago. Not my decision.

(2) The amendment that recently passed solved any perceived problem.

(3) What's the point of piling on the existing member, especially since that member is not up for re-election?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.