Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:43 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I voted yes. Here's what I posted in the private forum:
I don't think I've ever seen such near-unanimity in member support for any TalkBoard motion on any subject. Dovster really hit this one out of the park.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't interpret this thread as near-unanimity support for the Smoking Section forum. There are a number of posts expressing strong opposition to the idea, although an obvious large majority favors the new forum.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't interpret this thread as near-unanimity support for the Smoking Section forum. There are a number of posts expressing strong opposition to the idea, although an obvious large majority favors the new forum.
It is a large majority of all who posted but it is near-unanimity of those who are smokers (and, hence, most likely to need help in finding places where smoking is permitted).

I don't recall a single post from someone who says he is a smoker and prefers to have questions about smoking facilities scattered all over the site.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by mholland1
I agree. More smokers per capita than other protected classes.

SUPPORT
Smokers are a protected class?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
Smokers are a protected class?
Smokers are more than 51% of the population? [At least for some purposes, women are a protected class.]
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The Smoking Section motion will pass

Because TalkBoard VP jason8612 is traveling, I am posting this on behalf of TalkBoard:

In accordance with the guidelines that we'll announce if a motion has passed or failed once enough yes or no votes have been recorded by TB members, this is the public notice that the motion to create a smokers' forum will pass. As of July 4, it secured at least 6 yes votes.

Please note that 8 out of 9 TB members voted, as of July 4. A final announcement with who voted yes/no will not be posted until the 9th member votes or the voting period ends in 10 days.

Bruce
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by blackjack-21
While the title of the motion to create a smoker's forum appears to have already been set, couldn't it be changed to something like "Smoker's Lounge" with the information subtitle "A place for smokers, and even those who don't, to find information on what hotels, airports, and car rentals still offer smokers a choice." Add the comment about non-flaming those of us who do smoke, unless you use a flameless electric lighter.

bj-21.
Sounds good.

Cheers.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

many opposed stated that they believed existence of forum would encourage smoking
there were also claims that TB/FT will be encouraging/supporting/etc smoking as policy
these are philosophical arguments (i dont think smoking forums are government regulated)

Originally Posted by bdschobel
at least 6 yes votes
8 out of 9 TB members voted
thanks for the update!

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 5, 2015 at 10:45 am
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
You're welcome!

Bruce
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Smokers are more than 51% of the population? [At least for some purposes, women are a protected class.]
Discrimination against someone because of their gender, race, religion, etc. is prohibited. I wasn't aware that smokers are a protected class that is covered by anti-discrimination laws. That is why I asked why someone would compare the number of smokers to "other protected classes".
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:10 am

Discrimination against someone because of their gender, race, religion, etc. is prohibited. I wasn't aware that smokers are a protected class that is covered by anti-discrimination laws. That is why I asked why someone would compare the number of smokers to "other protected classes".
IANAL but if someone is addicted to tobacco, this could be considered a medical condition and potential a medical disability by some farfetched reasoning. If smoking has caused other medical problems, some of those would be disabilities.

I vaguely remember the media discussing some legal challenges to companies having policies of refusing to hire people who smoke tobacco on their own time because this was leading to higher health and life insurance costs and arguably higher absentee rates. I don't recall the outcome or how far the lawsuit went. The issue was whether is is legal to discriminate in employment decisions against smokers, which is the antithesis of whether smokers would be considered a protected class.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What in the world does this have to do with FlyerTalk?

Bruce
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Because TalkBoard VP jason8612 is traveling, I am posting this on behalf of TalkBoard:

In accordance with the guidelines that we'll announce if a motion has passed or failed once enough yes or no votes have been recorded by TB members, this is the public notice that the motion to create a smokers' forum will pass. As of July 4, it secured at least 6 yes votes.

Please note that 8 out of 9 TB members voted, as of July 4. A final announcement with who voted yes/no will not be posted until the 9th member votes or the voting period ends in 10 days.

Bruce
^^^
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:39 am

You are correct. Smokers are not a protected class. They are, however, a class against whom there is considerable discrimination.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:57 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Dovster
You are correct. Smokers are not a protected class. They are, however, a class against whom there is considerable discrimination.
Being flanked by smokers at dinner tonight all I can say is that sometimes you guys deserve it!!!

After I finished my bruchette, accompanied by a heaping side of second hand smoke, I walked over between the two tables full of smokers and let out a long, loud stinky fart and said (crudely, with the help of Google translate). 'Ho succhiato il vento. Ora fai schifo mio.'

On that note, enjoy the new forum where rants like the one above won't be allowed! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.