Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Motion
Moved by CMK10 and seconded by nsx :

TalkBoard recommends creation of a new forum under Special Interest Travel

1. titled: The Smoking Section
2. subtitled: Discussion of Practical Issues for Travelers who Smoke, Chew, or Vape

On July 9, 2015 TalkBoard succeeded to pass 8-1:
"Creation of a Smoking Section"

Voting Yes: bdschobel, Canarsie, CMK10, jason8612, kokonutz, MSPeconomist, nsx, rwoman
Voting No: dchristiva
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a couple great posts >

Originally Posted by nsx
in my opinion the lack of any good home for a relevant subject is a trump card. As the person who drafted the forum creation criteria, I never anticipated such a situation. The criteria ask "Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject?" rather than "In the absence of a forum, is there any place on FlyerTalk for this subject?" For the Smokers' Lounge, that answer is currently "No". To me, that supports the need for a forum.
Originally Posted by kokonutz
given the paradigm we find ourselves in, I do feel the most appropriate thing to do is give the forum a chance. Because, as you say, a Smokers Lounge is apparently not going to be accommodated anywhere else on FlyerTalk.

There was no 'pent up demand statistics' for that forum either. Because GLBT were not comfortable posting in the general fora. Dovster has made a compelling case that the same is likely true with smokers.
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I vote in a manner in which I believe is best for the membership of FlyerTalk. In this particular case, I have voted in favor of the creation of the proposed forum for smokers

I have met many FlyerTalk members over the years; and I cannot believe how many of them smoke

It is simply to assist those FlyerTalk members who smoke to be able to travel — even if just a little bit easier
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was against this idea at first. What further encouraged me to vote yes is some of the nasty, judgmental posts about the forum...the vitriol expressed here towards people is extremely disappointing and reflects badly on us as a website. I'm glad people who do smoke will have a place they can discuss their issues away from such comments. Frankly, I thought some people were exaggerating at first when they said they needed that, now I see their point.
vitriol may have backfired...

especially great response >

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I am really astonished at the (fortunately, small) number of posts concerned that creating a forum where smokers could discuss the issues -- mostly problems -- of traveling as a smoker somehow, perversely, "encourages" or even "glamorizes" smoking.

I moderate the Travel with Children forum. To my knowledge, the existence of this forum has not encouraged anybody to run out and have a child -- especially so that they can experience the problems of traveling with one!
"mostly problems" and "problems of traveling" would imply 'discourage' rather then 'encourage'

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 10, 2015 at 7:14 pm
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Here's a picture of me celebrating the new forum

Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by CMK10
Here's a picture of me celebrating the new forum

Did you bring enough to share with rest of the class?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts dilatory to the topic discussed here have been deleted.

Please save posts regarding tobacco use to the new Forum, and please refrain from posting editorial or personally subjective content regarding tobacco use here.

JDiver, Moderator
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver

Please save posts regarding tobacco use to the new Forum, and please refrain from posting editorial or personally subjective content regarding tobacco use here.
Actually, I would suggest posting editorial or personal subjective content regarding tobacco use on Omni. That is not the intended purpose of the new forum.

The Smokers Forum is intended to let you know where you can use tobacco (and where it might be less expensive to buy it). These are objective facts, not subjective opinions.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts dilatory to the topic discussed here have been deleted.

JDiver, Moderator
Originally Posted by Dovster
Actually, I would suggest posting editorial or personal subjective content regarding tobacco use on Omni. That is not the intended purpose of the new forum.

The Smokers Forum is intended to let you know where you can use tobacco (and where it might be less expensive to buy it). These are objective facts, not subjective opinions.
Please re-read my post content. Speaking as Moderator of this forum, I recommended posting about tobacco use in the new Forum (as opposed to in the TalkBoard Forum) and made no suggestion of where to post the "editorial or personally subjective content regarding tobacco use" at all.

Nothing to discuss here at all; if you have questions or concerns about a Moderator action or post, the proper way to handle that would be by PM or e-mail, not in a Forum.

Thank you.

JDiver, Moderator
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:10 am
Suspended

Please re-read my post content. Speaking as Moderator of this forum, I recommended posting about tobacco use in the new Forum (as opposed to in the TalkBoard Forum) and made no suggestion of where to post the "editorial or personally subjective content regarding tobacco use" at all.

Nothing to discuss here at all; if you have questions or concerns about a Moderator action or post, the proper way to handle that would be by PM or e-mail, not in a Forum.

Thank you.

JDiver, Moderator
Is it still the plan that the new forum will not allow any editorial posts on the subject of smoking, pro or con?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:08 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by QtownDave
Is it still the plan that the new forum will not allow any editorial posts on the subject of smoking, pro or con?
That is my direction to the mods. I do not want to see acrimony in the forum. It's meant to be a place to share information, not to guilt other. Folks can do that in OmniPR.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
That is my direction to the mods. I do not want to see acrimony in the forum. It's meant to be a place to share information, not to guilt other. Folks can do that in OmniPR.
Thank you ^
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Thank you. ^
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I expect to open the new forum sometime next week. We want to set up a good description of forum content first. Forum moderators will be cblaisd (occasional cigar smoker) and goalie (cigarette smoker).
if doing a sticky thread, maybe even link OMNI/PR
Dovster, etc - thoughts if they do a sticky thread?

the forum is no place for vitriol against smoking.
vitriol in 2 threads in this forum only demonstrated smokers can use vitriol-free forum

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 10, 2015 at 7:25 pm
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Very true.

Bruce
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:14 pm
Community Director Emerita

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smoki...ng-lounge.html
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Congratulations to FT on glamourising the name of this forum (insert sarcasm emoticon here).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.