Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Should the Travel News forum remain open as its own standalone forum?

Here is the Travel News forum. Should it remain open; or should it be closed? Please post objective reasons for either position below.

Keep the Travel News Forum Open

It provides a place where only news linked to other sources can be posted.

Travel News serves a different function than other forums. It is for news articles that can be quickly perused & not buried in other forums. TravelBuzz, for example, has topics such as 'should the spouse get the upgrade' & discussions re: that. Travel News has links to articles of interest that may or may not get commentary, but does get a lot of views so obviously of interest to FTers. Just as some will read articles in the NYTimes, Wall Street Journal, USAToday because the articles are of interest but not comment. That doesn't mean the articles have no value. They're easier to find in Travel News.

Close/Merge the Travel News Forum

It is redundant; and discussions posted in it are best served when residing in other forums on FlyerTalk — such as TravelBuzz, for example.

It is obsolete due to improved technology which has emerged over the years, allowing news pertaining to travel to be easily obtained elsewhere.

It is not at all clear what types of posts belong in it.

Travel News made a lot more sense before FT had a forum for any and every thing travel related. But now FT does and Travel News is out of step with how FlyerTalk is currently organized.
Print Wikipost

Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:42 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by tom911
I don't see that at all. If there was an overwhelming interest in putting Travel News "out of its misery", why aren't other members and other Talk Board members jumping into this discussion to support that theory? It's pretty much the same members going back and forth without any new material at this point.
If I suggested putting omni out of its misery or putting travel buzz down the hue and cry would be overwhelming, especially after notice being posted on the forum itself.

It appears to me that only a handful of posters are strongly attached to this redundant forum. A fact that is reflected not only here but also in the use statistics of the forum itself.

But I'm still willing to be convinced before setting up the guillotine. ^
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:41 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Or... one could argue the opposite... that not many people care if Travel News is closed....

I don't see that at all. If there was an overwhelming interest in putting Travel News "out of its misery", why aren't other members and other Talk Board members jumping into this discussion to support that theory? It's pretty much the same members going back and forth without any new material at this point.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Another 3 days have passed and not a single new poster to this thread (or new Talk Board member for that matter - a few have not popped in). Are they expected shortly? Let's go to a vote and be done with this. If you have the support among the Talk Board members there's no need to delay this any longer. You started this thread 3 weeks ago.
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I don't see a sense of urgency. Your point that" days have passed and not a single new poster"... is an argument which can be made in support of closing Travel News.
koko is clearly interested in closing Travel News.

As I said early on in this discussion, I think TN does have a place and is well moderated. It's not the most-loved forum but not sure it needs to go away. It does fill a gap for items that really do not quite fit elsewhere.

I have not followed up to my original comments because I have not seen anything that would change my earlier view.

I've also been in in the midst of a 26k mile trip and fought off DL-induced food poisoning. Stillllll catching up. @:-)

Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 4, 2015 at 7:19 pm
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I don't see a sense of urgency. Your point that" days have passed and not a single new poster"... is an argument which can be made in support of closing Travel News.
Can we have a site-wide poll set up so that we can put this to a general member vote?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Can we have a site-wide poll set up so that we can put this to a general member vote?
I suspect most would say 'what the heck is travel news?'
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Just curious, hasn't this been done when there is an actual motion on the Talkboard's table?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Semi-related question. If I proposed a motion on this despite the fact that I'm going to vote no, is that bad form?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
They did previously.
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Just curious, hasn't this been done when there is an actual motion on the Talkboard's table?
Yes.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:34 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by CMK10
Semi-related question. If I proposed a motion on this despite the fact that I'm going to vote no, is that bad form?
Imho, no-just as long as you have the 2/3rd's "no" votes guaranteed to defeat the motion and finally put this thread out of its misery
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
But there's nothing to prevent either the same or another TB member from making a new motion on this, perhaps slightly different. Rinse and repeat.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I just reread the '11 & bumped up in '13 thread, as well as this one.

In the '11/13 thread the yes/no close/keep open were evenly divided between the yes/no. In this thread the yes to keep TN open is double the no close it. Per the norm when I do a tally, I count each yes/no 1 time regardless if the FT/TBer posts multiple times in the thread.

IMO, if TB is listening to its members, it shouldn't even bother doing a motion to close the forum. The input seems to be to keep Travel News open based on '11/13/15 threads.

Cheers.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I just reread the '11 & bumped up in '13 thread, as well as this one.

In the '11/13 thread the yes/no close/keep open were evenly divided between the yes/no. In this thread the yes to keep TN open is double the no close it. Per the norm when I do a tally, I count each yes/no 1 time regardless if the FT/TBer posts multiple times in the thread.

Cheers.
What are the raw numbers? Have even more than 10 posters bothered to post in this thread? Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Originally Posted by goalie
Imho, no-just as long as you have the 2/3rd's "no" votes guaranteed to defeat the motion and finally put this thread out of its misery
How DARE you use such INSULTING language!!!
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
You mean, not a ringing endorsement for closing it? This is a solution in search of a problem IMO. Let it go.

Cheers.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:05 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You mean, not a ringing endorsement for closing it? This is a solution in search of a problem IMO. Let it go.
Not a chance.

I am awaiting the 2017 edition of this discussion...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.