Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended - Motion Failed: "Formalizing a Friendly Amendment process"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:17 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by goalie
Where do you draw the line at "a minor variation"?
"which does not alter the overall intent of the motion nor raise any new issues for consideration"

As determined by the motion maker, seconder and all to-date yes-voters.

How about "if the motion has problems, issues, <your term here>, simply vote no to defeat the motion and re-do the motion correctly"
Well it seems like a massive waste of time to go through all that to change, for example,

'Create an 'Airlines of Croatia' forum to include Cro Air and Atia Lines.'

to

'Create an 'Airlines of Croatia' forum to include Cro Air, Atia Lines and Croatia Express.'

Maybe it would make more sense to call these 'clarifying amendments.' Because they don't change the intent of the motion, just state it better or more clearly or more inclusively.

Last edited by kokonutz; Feb 27, 2015 at 1:11 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:10 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kokonutz
"which does not alter the overall intent of the motion nor raise any new issues for consideration"

As determined by the motion maker, seconder and all to-date yes-voters.

Well it seems like a massive waste of time to go through all that to change, for example,

'Create an 'Airlines of Croatia' forum to include Cro Air and Atia Lines.'

to

'Create an 'Airlines of Croatia' forum to include Cro Air, Atia Lines and Croatia Express.'

Maybe it would make more sense to call these 'clarifying amendments.' Because they don't change the intent of the motion, just state it better or more clearly or more inclusively.
They may state it better in the eyes of some and I'm sorry, if the motion is poorly worded regardless of what needs to be changed, vote it down by using the "premium fare deals fiasco in reverse and re-do the motion.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by goalie
Where do you draw the line at "a minor variation"?

How about "if the motion has problems, issues, <your term here>, simply vote no to defeat the motion and re-do the motion correctly"
I like that idea.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by kellio33
This is not the United Nations folks. Use some common sense.
Amen.

Bruce
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Amen.
Any thoughts/comments/questions on nsx's proposal back in post 1?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Of course. I fully support nsx's proposal, conceptually. Friendly amendments have been around for centuries and work perfectly well among a group of "friendly" folks. The various posts nitpicking his proposal have been unhelpful, for the most part, especially to the extent that they assume bad intentions and/or behavior on the part of unnamed, perhaps hypothetical, TalkBoard members.

In any event, as others have noted endlessly, TalkBoard merely recommends changes to the Community Director. We have neither absolute power nor any real power at all. Changes can occur with our support, contrary to our advice or even without our knowledge. The notion that some "evil" TalkBoard member could use the friendly amendment process to steer FlyerTalk in a bad direction is frankly absurd, even preposterous. People should worry about other things.

Bruce
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: HH Silver
The various posts nitpicking his proposal have been unhelpful
Not half as unhelpful as this stance as dismissing member input in such a fashion is frankly disappointing from the TB president. You may not agree with the views shared but is it really necessary to dismiss them as unhelpful nitpicking?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I could use other language, but unhelpful nitpicking describes my feelings pretty well, and I elaborated. You are free to disagree with me, obviously.

Bruce
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:03 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I could use other language, but unhelpful nitpicking describes my feelings pretty well, and I elaborated. You are free to disagree with me, obviously.

Bruce
If making suggestions is considered unhelpful, why bother with the charade of seeking opinions? Why not just vote and not even pretend to want suggestions and opinions?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't put words in my mouth. There are helpful suggestions, which we have seen, and unhelpful nitpicking, which we have also seen. Read what I said, rather than making me repeat it.

Bruce
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm glad you're participating in the public thread. Would love to get the three members sitting on the sidelines participating here, too, but I know that's not required. I hate seeing Talk Board forum threads monopolized by a few Talk Board members while others sit on the sidelines.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:46 am

And I do as this language which has been echoed by others on TB in recent months is hardly conducive to encouraging more members to find their way to this forum to share their views when they stand to be ridiculed in such a fashion.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:49 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by tom911
I hate seeing Talk Board forum threads monopolized by a few Talk Board members while others sit on the sidelines.
It's always that way. Limited engagement until the voting starts, and often even then. Human nature. We are unpaid volunteers, so there is no mechanism to force engagement.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
And I do as this language which has been echoed by others on TB in recent months is hardly conducive to encouraging more members to find their way to this forum to share their views when they stand to be ridiculed in such a fashion.
Ridiculed? Oh, please. Nobody has that thin a skin.

Bruce
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:29 am

Ridiculed? Oh, please. Nobody has that thin a skin.
I could use other language, but ridicule describes my feelings pretty well and don't think it's appropriate. You are free to disagree with me, obviously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.