Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting in TB Elections? Some things to consider.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:28 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite

I hope that everyone takes the time to read candidate platforms and the answers they gave to the Community Director in the "Debate" forum.

As a former Talkboard member, I have always followed this forum and been an active participant.

A few things I have noticed that will impact my vote this year:

1. Many new names on the candidate list. Is that good or bad? Some rarely post so difficult to know how they would represent us as members. Others have been around for some time and are very valuable and contributing members to the community. A great slate in terms of diversity!

2. In the debate forum, there were 10 questions posed to the 16 candidates. As of this posting, the following is noted:

-- Only 8 candidates (Bdschobel, CMK10, Goalie, Jason8612, Kokonutz, Marathon Man, Rwoman, Schley) chose to answer all 10 questions posed by the Community Director and members.

-- 4 candidates (Allvest, Cochinjew, Trayset, xmlsosa) chose to answer NONE of the questions. Access is not an issue as they have all been on FT since announcing candidacy; as late as today.

While I disagree with many responses (including their responses to the question I submitted!), I respect someone who takes the time to put their opinion out there.

If someone is not willing to support their own candidacy, will they be active participants in Talkboard? We have seen people get elected to TB, and then they just disappear. Do we want that to happen?

I hope everyone here takes the chance to review the platforms and the questions before casting their votes. There are some great candidates here....

I know my votes will be decided among the eight candidates that chose to actively participate in the debate.

TALK THE VOTE!

and do not forget to sign up for SECRET SANTA!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:47 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Very well said ^ and if I may add one more item (and this holds true for any election)

If you don't vote, you can't complain about the outcome
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
Very well said ^ and if I may add one more item (and this holds true for any election)

If you don't vote, you can't complain about the outcome
In some cases if you are overseas and don't have time to go to a consulate/high commission/embassy it can be difficult to vote.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by wharvey
We have seen people get elected to TB, and then they just disappear. Do we want that to happen?
Face it: it's going to continue to happen until Talk Board changes their own rules or the Community Director comes along and boots someone out. Has that ever happened? I complained about the level of participation here before, asking that some minimum amount of threads be involved (as little as 10%--surely a Talk Board member can post in 1 of 10 threads to show us they're still around), and there was just no support for that.

I did a quick search on a Talk Board member that I don't see a lot of. He has posted ONE TIME in the public forum since January while he has almost 200 posts in other forums ( that would be about 1% of the threads in the Talk Board forum--at least he is not at ZERO). For about four years running now we seem to have members go AWOL from the public forum. including the Talk Board president at one time.

Spiff reminded me a number of years ago that there is no requirement to publicly participate here. If I was a Talk Board member, I'd stop participating, too. Why carry the weight for the other members that don't want to participate in the various discussions taking place here? Would make it a lot easier to just shut down the forum and disband the Talk Board when the discussions stopped here.

I haven't decided whether I'm even going to vote this time. It's pretty frustrating to continue to elect members who don't want to interface with me, or other members, here on the public forum. But, hey, those Talk Board rules say you don't have to participate here, so please continue to take advantage of that, including any newly elected members who might not want to participate on the public forum. Remember the rules say you don't have to.

Tom in Galway
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
There is voting bias, though-you are more familiar with those who post on the same forum as you do, have the same nationality, and those you have met in person than the others. Those that you see post more often may also reveal more of their character and method of governance and opinions.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:46 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by wharvey
...I know my votes will be decided among the eight candidates that chose to actively participate in the debate.
Well..... I still consider ScottC's answer about the accusation of not participating to be entirely apt: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...ml#post4818135

I know some of the candidates by their posting history. In some of those cases, there is nothing a poster could post in the questions-and-answers forum that would ever cause me to vote for that person. More positively put, in some other cases, though, there is nothing that a poster could post in the question-and-answers forum that I can imagine dissuading me from voting for him/her. Posting history over the years is far more important to me than anything else. Which is why in 2005 I voted for ScottC and why he won.

Originally Posted by tom911
Would make it a lot easier to just shut down the forum and disband the Talk Board....
^

I hope a TalkBoard member will make that motion
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I hope a TalkBoard member will make that motion
I'm not certain why selective quoting and a gratuitous shot at the TB is necessary. Then again, I'm not surprised.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:28 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by RichMSN
...gratuitous shot at the TB is necessary.
Not gratuitous at all.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:38 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Not gratuitous at all.
Aw, you'd HATE it if the TB went away. Then what would you have to gripe about!?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:16 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
While most members are known by their posts, I do believe candidates for Talkboard have an obligation to support their own candidacy by responding to questions from the Community Director and members they are to represent.

If someone cannot take a few minutes to respond to 10 questions, that may be an indication of their ongoing participation in the Talkboard.

Again, it is just one of my criteria... I too voted for ScottC back then... but I knew about Scott and his commitment to Flyertalk... and knew he would represent well.

When you have so many new "faces" running, I think it is more important that they tell us more about themselves and their viewpoints.

In the end, I do hope people VOTE VOTE VOTE.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Aw, you'd HATE it if the TB went away. Then what would you have to gripe about!?
Oh, I'm sure I could find something.... We might even agree on an item or two
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At least the candidates who have participated in the debate forum seem to have voted.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:32 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Oh, I'm sure I could find something.... We might even agree on an item or two
Hm. Maybe.

But NOT steak with milk. Ever!! Ew!

Mmmmm...steak and Cabernet.

Getting back to the OP, as for how I decide for whom to vote: some of my my best friends are moderators. But they have enough say in how FT is run as it is. I vote for non-mods.

And whether I get re-elected or not, I fervently hope that, for the first time ever, a non-mod will be elected President of the TalkBoard in early December.

In any case, whatever criteria one uses, I do hope everyone takes the opportunity to vote!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:59 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Let's stay on topic kids...
Old Nov 16, 2013, 2:25 pm

obviously I am new to TalkBoard and I have never participated here.. never ventured this way before. When I saw the email inviting people to join and run, it said that people abroad would make it good for diversity sake, and thats what caught my attention. Honestly, I did not answer some of the questions because, some of the answers I saw made sense to me, and I felt I would add nothing saying "me too" or "I agree with such and such" so I kept mum. Also, I thought that once voting begun the questions were closed to us to answer, so, it seems that I can still go there and answer them now, which I will try to do, so people can know more of me and my views. I've never been in politics or aspire to do so, so my running was more based on if chosen, I will do my best to honor those who voted for me and participate to the best of my abilities. It seems that the inner works of FT to be very political, something that I never really dug in... anyhow, I too like those familiar names with lots of posts and wish everyone best of luck and most importantly, represent us well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.