FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   "Like" Button? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/1493052-like-button.html)

CMK10 Jan 23, 2015 7:24 am

I'm not a MilePoint user but I'm very active on Facebook where I use the Like button frequently. More and more recently I've seen some FT posts that I would consider liking but don't really want to comment on to say "agree" or whatever.

GUWonder Jan 23, 2015 7:31 am

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 24219452)
Not that it would actually happen, but I think it would be interesting to know the background of each person making an argument in this thread (as well as our TalkBoard members).

I wonder how many of those opposing this feature are active Facebook and/or MilePoint users. Is the opposition simply due to a lack of familiarity with how it works?

I place more weight on the argument of someone who actively uses the feature elsewhere but believes it will not add to the community here, in which case, I would like to know that person's specific reasoning for his or her position.

As I see it, people who actively use the feature are people who like using the feature regardless of the overall consequences of the feature on the discussion.

If the objective is to tip the scale to the point of view of those who want this feature, then weighting things only toward people who like a feature enough to contribute to the feature's expanded use is sort of like a self-fulfilling prophesy. Even if that is not the objective, the outcome would be just that: a tipping of the scale in favor of something already favored by those who favor it.

nsx Jan 23, 2015 9:40 am

I place more weight on the argument of someone who actively uses the feature elsewhere but believes it will not add to the community here, in which case, I would like to know that person's specific reasoning for his or her position.

Are there any discussion sites which allow posts to be upvoted but not downvoted, and which do not compile an upvote count per member? That is a milder voting system than anything I have seen on the Internet.

Experience with harsher systems would be relevant only if the objections related to the milder subset of functionality.

nkedel Jan 23, 2015 11:57 am

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 24220396)
Are there any discussion sites which allow posts to be upvoted but not downvoted, and which do not compile an upvote count per member? That is a milder voting system than anything I have seen on the Internet.

None that I'm aware of, although how well-exposed the up-vote count is does vary pretty highly between boards -- I can think of several I'm on where you have to dig for it; having it as exposed on the left-side bar (as post count is here, and many, many other places) doesn't seem to be the norm.

kipper Jan 23, 2015 1:20 pm

Not that it would actually happen, but I think it would be interesting to know the background of each person making an argument in this thread (as well as our TalkBoard members).

I wonder how many of those opposing this feature are active Facebook and/or MilePoint users. Is the opposition simply due to a lack of familiarity with how it works?

I'm active on Facebook, and use the like button there. I just don't see the clique-type behavior, or the nastiness that can happen in forums on Facebook.

rwoman Jan 26, 2015 4:50 am

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 24221752)
I'm active on Facebook, and use the like button there. I just don't see the clique-type behavior, or the nastiness that can happen in forums on Facebook.

I've definitely seen some nastiness and snark on closed FB groups...

JonNYC Jan 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 24235000)

OH, yeah, absolutely!

GUWonder Jan 27, 2015 2:07 am

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 24235000)

And the nastiness (and "like" of nastiness) exists in open FB postings/groups too.

nkedel Jan 27, 2015 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 24241088)
And the nastiness (and "like" of nastiness) exists in open FB postings/groups too.

And quite a bit of it exists here without "Likes," especially once you get away from the core by-Airline boards which seem to have a bit tighter moderation standards than Travel and Dining boards or OMNI.

SkiAdcock Jan 27, 2015 7:16 pm

It occurred to me that, like before, not all that many folk are interested in the topic, especially now that the public announcement & TM are past. The thread keeps getting bumped by the same few folk who have posted previously (including me w/ this post in fairness) & not a lot by new folk clamoring for the feature. Methinks this is still a solution in search of a problem. ;)

Cheers.

GRALISTAIR Jan 27, 2015 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 24246357)
Methinks this is still a solution in search of a problem. ;)Cheers.

I would have to agree :)

halls120 Jan 28, 2015 6:52 am

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR (Post 24246620)
I would have to agree :)

+2

tcook052 Jan 28, 2015 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 24248815)
+2

+3

steveman518 Jan 28, 2015 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 24251506)
+3

n+1 :rolleyes:

CPRich Jan 28, 2015 6:02 pm

The fact that we choose not to use it elsewhere isn't meaningful? We need to like it and use it and not want it here to be meaningful? Sounds like your just setting criteria to exclude those who don't agree with you.

I participate elsewhere with the feature. I don't fnd it useful there, so I don't use it. So I don't believe it would be useful here. Sorry if you don't put much weight to that opinion.

I guess some members are more equal than others.