Wiki Posts
Search

MOTION PASSED: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Since the nickname of the forum is "Koko's Playground" , I think it makes total sense for him to be ambassador. Congrats koko!

Cheers.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Its EM&PR, my friend, not EMPR
His title now says EPPR, without any mention of miles.

I guess now we're supposed to address him formally as Mr. Ambassador. I hope he dresses appropriately for the role whenever he's on FT.

EMPR sounds like Emperor, which is an even more lofty title. Maybe he's now Ambassador of his Empire.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:14 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
His title now says EPPR, without any mention of miles.

I guess now we're supposed to address him formally as Mr. Ambassador. I hope he dresses appropriately for the role whenever he's on FT.

EMPR sounds like Emperor, which is an even more lofty title. Maybe he's now Ambassador of his Empire.
Your Eminence is preferable. His Excellency is also acceptable, however.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 1:37 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Ah, so you'll be providing the Ferrero Rocher to all visitors?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't ready any of this thread...but noticed that the forum -http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/ - is located under Travel & Dining.

Given that the title is External Miles & Points Resources - wouldn't it be logical to give this forum significantly better visibility and place it in the Miles & Points section (i.e. under MilesBuzz maybe??) where it would logically go? Putting it under Travel & Dining doesn't seem to make sense.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I haven't ready any of this thread...but noticed that the forum -http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/ - is located under Travel & Dining.

Given that the title is External Miles & Points Resources - wouldn't it be logical to give this forum significantly better visibility and place it in the Miles & Points section (i.e. under MilesBuzz maybe??) where it would logically go? Putting it under Travel & Dining doesn't seem to make sense.
Very good point^
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...lable-may.html
would be good to have in new forum as an example of blog (guerilla) advertising
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by bhatnasx

Now that the election dust has settled could the TB please look at the above? Some valid points were raised here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...el-dining.html
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Since the new TB seems to be reading the TB forum, may I respectfully bump this topic and ask for a TB opinion?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Apparently the location of this new forum was the CD's decision.

I've mentioned this discussion on the private TB forum and asked whether we want to consider making a recommendation about relocating the forum. So far, I have no sense of what most people think.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Apparently the location of this new forum was the CD's decision.

I've mentioned this discussion on the private TB forum and asked whether we want to consider making a recommendation about relocating the forum. So far, I have no sense of what most people think.
As I said in the private TB forum, I am pro moving it...pending Carol reminding us why she put it where she did.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:56 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Whilst there is little doubt that this forum has failed to attract the interest some may have hoped, perhaps this has more to do with the fact that the 'issues' are obsessions for some and of transitory interest to most. I doubt whether moving it will make any difference. A few moments spent there enables one to decide whether it is the sort of place one ones to visit.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Markie
Whilst there is little doubt that this forum has failed to attract the interest some may have hoped, perhaps this has more to do with the fact that the 'issues' are obsessions for some and of transitory interest to most. I doubt whether moving it will make any difference. A few moments spent there enables one to decide whether it is the sort of place one ones to visit.
My personal feeling is that the forum is doing just fine, and filling the niche it was designed to fill.

I wouldn't anticipate the move changing the forum in any substantive way. I simply think it is misfiled under travel since it's really about MILES AND POINTS blogs and external resources, not TRAVEL blogs and external resources.

YMMV!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:02 am

The things (supposedly) discussed in EM&PR are really more targetted at the advanced FTer, I doubt they open the Forum front page each day and look at the activity in each forum
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
This topic came to mind when discussing a different one, so am bumping the thread.

I'm supportive of moving the External Miles & Points Resources forum to the Miles & Points section from the Travel&Dining section. First, EM&PR about M&P more so than generic T&D so to me is a bit of a no-brainer.

Second, I think it will draw more people to FT being higher up/being visible in the forum listings. I know some are afraid that people will read EM&P & go to bloggers never to return. I don't believe that. It's not an either/or. People can frequent both FT & blogs (and do). And it offers us a chance to gain FT members, as there are a lot of folk who are familiar with blogs yet not aware of FT.

At last year's Chicago Seminar Event, 375 of 500 attendees were first time attendees & when selling the charity raffle tickets* I discovered (when asking those who wouldn't be at the drawing to write their handles on the ticket) that many didn't know what a FT handle was because they hadn't heard of FT! If someone follows a blogger or googles a blog & FT comes up higher in the search engine because the blogger is being discussed, then good for FT.

It's one of the reasons I voted against restricting the Mileage Run forum, because we gain new FT members because of that forum/when they're googling.

I am against the idea that we have to cocoon FTers & try to erect barriers to prevent them potentially leaving FT, which is about the only reason I can think of for not moving it. If FT has content & meets their needs (whatever those needs may be), then they'll stay with FT. However, FT is not & never will the sole source of all things travel (although it's pretty darn close!). My philosophy has been if someone needs info & finds FT of value, great. If TripAdvisor or a blogger provide info for them, great as well. Someone who travels should access ALL avenues that will help them the most. I firmly believe FT is the best available, but it's silly to think it can meet every need.

And hey, if we move EM&PR forum to M&P section & it doesn't increase from its current T&D location, then no harm no foul.

* Full disclosure: Each year I get roped into, er, asked & accept , chairing the charity raffle to raise funds for 3 great charities. My involvement w/ the CSE is limited to that & not organizing it.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.