MOTION PASSED: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MOTION PASSED: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Well today is the closing of the vote. However it turns out I just wanted to thank all participants in the conversation for a healthy and positive debate.

If the forum happens, I hope it will prove to be what I hope it will: a forward-thinking way to keep FlyerTalk not just relevant but a leader in the points and miles space.

If it fails...well, i guess that means I will be forced to run for TalkBoard again this fall to champion it again next year.
Is this a promise or a threat?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this a promise or a threat?
Depends on your perspective, I suppose...
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by jackal
So, it turns out I *am* indeed the deciding vote, now.

Anyone have any last words?
I've known it for 2 days now. I did a little TBer secret head count using my crystal ball the other day.

BTW, I totally hear you on the MBTI part.

Originally Posted by Majikow
I like the idea of a blogtalk forum. Having a place to discuss the content and business of blogs is extremely useful to those of us who value having as much information as possible when making decisions.
After reading this reply, it just occurs to me some very similar arguments in the failed motion for Spirit Airlines:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...nes-forum.html

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying Spirit is the next big airline.

My recollection tells me quite some parallel discussion between the Spirit motion and this blog one: 1). The proponents stated the current discussion threads were all scattered because there's no designated home for them. 2) Proponents failed to demonstrate sustainable traffic. 3). There's a tendency for negativity when Spirit and (certain) bloggers/blogs were in the picture. 4). Somehow somewhere a conspiracy theory or backdoor dealings got thrown into the discussion pot. 5). Maybe more. But my memory don't serve me as well when I age.

I would think it gets zero point for the pro camp to argue "we need a bigger pond (aka a new forum) because megathreads are killing us." In order for FT to better itself or grow, we have to think and reexamine what blogtalk had been discussed that FT can't handle under the current structure. If the pro camp can do a much better job to conduct some content analyses on existing threads and show the value or unmet need for blog discussion, the decision would have been much easier.

The reason why I request not to use soapboxes or projection is simple. Don't make the same mistakes as Senior Travel Forum. Proponents states they would discuss such a wide range of topics since seniors are big consumers in the world of travel, their demographic importance/dominance, and so on. Senior Travel Forum died because the stream of topics wasn't there and it only became the playground of 3 or 5 passionate FTers.

Show us the data! Data are not just numbers. Content is data too. Just show us the data.

Last edited by lin821; Apr 11, 2013 at 10:22 am Reason: fix a link
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:24 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by lin821
I've known it for 2 days now. I did a little TBer secret head count using my crystal ball the other day.

BTW, I totally hear you on the MBTI part.

After reading this reply, it just occurs to me some very similar arguments in the failed motion for Spirit Airlines:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...nes-forum.html

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying Spirit is the next big airline.

My recollection tells me quite some parallel discussion between the Spirit motion and this blog one: 1). The proponents stated the current discussion threads were all scattered because there's no designated home for them. 2) Proponents failed to demonstrate sustainable traffic. 3). There's a tendency for negativity when Spirit and (certain) bloggers/blogs were in the picture. 4). Somehow somewhere a conspiracy theory or backdoor dealings got thrown into the discussion pot. 5). Maybe more. But my memory don't serve me as well when I age.

I would think it gets zero point for the pro camp to argue "we need a bigger pond (aka a new forum) because megathreads are killing us." In order for FT to better itself or grow, we have to think and reexamine what blogtalk had been discussed that FT can't handle under the current structure. If the pro camp can do a much better job to conduct some content analyses on existing threads and show the value or unmet need for blog discussion, the decision would have been much easier.

The reason why I request not to use soapboxes or projection is simple. Don't make the same mistakes as Senior Travel Forum. Proponents states they would discuss such a wide range of topics since seniors are big consumers in the world of travel, their demographic importance/dominance, and so on. Senior Travel Forum died because the stream of topics wasn't there and it only became the playground of 3 or 5 passionate FTers.

Show us the data! Data are not just numbers. Content is data too. Just show us the data.
I am pretty sure that this ENFP voted for the Spirit forum, too.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: HH Silver
So, it turns out I *am* indeed the deciding vote, now.

Anyone have any last words?
Yes, please vote against this motion. Beyond a small group of proponents the membership at large has been almost silent on this proposed forum and that to me that speaks volumes that it isn't seen as a value add to FT.

When you consider there was as much if not more discussion & debate about a Chase Ultimate Rewards forum if this blog forum is so crucial to FT and it's future wouldn't you expected the vote on the matter to have generated far more input & opinions?

That's only MHO and I'll leave you to your decision whatever it may be.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by goalie
Maybe it's me (or I haven't had enough coffee yet ) but is anyone else bothered by this?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ints-game.html

and in case it gets deleted...
Maybe this is an example of the need for the proposed new forum. This self proclaimed expert doesn't seem to be much of an expert at all.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by tcook052
Yes, please vote against this motion. Beyond a small group of proponents the membership at large has been almost silent on this proposed forum and that to me that speaks volumes that it isn't seen as a value add to FT.

When you consider there was as much if not more discussion & debate about a Chase Ultimate Rewards forum if this blog forum is so crucial to FT and it's future wouldn't you expected the vote on the matter to have generated far more input & opinions?

That's only MHO and I'll leave you to your decision whatever it may be.
Crucial? Absolutely not. Benefitial? Yes. Develop. Be in front. This niche we have is changing, and adapting is a good thing^
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I am pretty sure that this ENFP voted for the Spirit forum, too.
I voted yes for that one too. And would again.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by travelkid
Crucial? Absolutely not. Benefitial? Yes. Develop. Be in front. This niche we have is changing, and adapting is a good thing^
And FT's niche should be "blog cop"? No thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...any last words?
[BLINDFOLD]
Vote yes only if you foresee a forum in which FlyerTalk members engage bloggers with mutual respect, as peers, recognizing that bloggers are not corporate executives or public figures. I think this will require FlyerTalk reaching out to bloggers to encourage participation, and deemphasizing discussion of bloggers' character (e.g. motivations and ethics).

Otherwise, I don't see a compelling benefit.
[/BLINDFOLD]
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:57 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If it fails...well, i guess that means I will be forced to run for TalkBoard again this fall to champion it again next year.
Why did you save your best argument for last?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:02 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Maybe it's me (or I haven't had enough coffee yet ) but is anyone else bothered by this?

It bothers me, much like the, "PM me for a referral to XYZ site," or signatures that say, "Check out my blog/whatever site referral link/etc."

To me, it's advertising, and FT sells advertising. Why should they ask some to pay for advertising while giving away free advertising to others?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Wisdom is worth repeating.

Bloggers want to take traffic from FT to their blogs. Not the other way around.

Originally Posted by wennecorp
New blog (confession: it's mine) devoted to teaching the very basics of points and miles earning:

<link snip>

Really looking to write about what people are interested in, so feel free to send me messages on my site or write comments on the blog posts. No ads on there, just trying to help people travel for free!
What did I say?

(see underline)
I also think that's a misread of traffic flow. If this proposed forum became reality and one blog gets more exposed on FT, said blogger would definitely catch on and wisely make that into his marketing slogan like "Most Discussed Blog on FT: ME." FT in certain ways is giving credentials to the ff world. Those bloggers want to get traffic and audience out of FT, not back to us.

I often see threads or posts on FT like this: "I just found a way to travel around the world for free. Details: here <imbedded links to a blog>."
But I am so happy we have TOS to prevent such a spammish self-promo!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe this is an example of the need for the proposed new forum. This self proclaimed expert doesn't seem to be much of an expert at all.
Why even waste or bother to give space to such non experts to start with?

Originally Posted by travelkid
Develop. Be in front. This niche we have is changing, and adapting is a good thing^
May I say it's not the election season yet?

Last edited by lin821; Apr 11, 2013 at 11:23 am Reason: adding quotes & replies
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:22 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Wisdom is worth repeating.

Bloggers want to take traffic from FT to their blogs. Not the other way around.
One of koko's arguments was that discussion of blogs here moves some of that traffic (comments and replies, mostly) to FT. His expectation might or might not be correct.

I like to post comments on View From the Wing. If I had a way to post those comments here, I might change my habit.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
As promised, I got distracted and failed to contribute (or even follow!) the discussion ever since starting the original proposal thread. Maybe that's my flaw in life -- I come up with (what I think are) good ideas, and then don't really see them through. Or maybe that makes me the 'idea guy' or 'visionary', LOL. Or maybe just lazy.

At any rate, thanks a lot to Koko for taking the idea and championing it through the halls of Congress!

If the forum is created, I'll be sure to show up for the ribbon cutting and say how it was my idea all along. If it's created and then flops..... eh, that's why they don't pay me the big bucks to vote on TB!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.