Wiki Posts
Search

MOTION PASSED: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:12 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
He didn't abstain; he didn't vote, which is different.
Although, FWIW, an explicit absention counts exactly the same as not voting. Until a couple years ago, an explicit abstention had the same effect as a No vote.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tcook052
Originally Posted by goalie
With all due respect, you should not fault anyone (be it here on F/T or any other election) for casting a vote as simply put, they voted (and if you have an issue with Hans Golden not voting, that is between you and them and should be handled privately [and delicately ]). A vote cast may or may not be the way you wanted to have a vote cast but that person voted and that is what matters. Now as to my vote, I voted based on the discussion and I felt that a no vote was in the best interest of F/t-plane and simple. Am I happy with the ouctome of the vote, no. Do I hope the new forum works, as I posted above-yes
Agree and find it curious that previous poster never shared their opinion on this topic but wants us to remember how TB members voted on it.
Thank you ^
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Those poor mods...
I nominate William Golding as the patron saint of the mods for the new forum.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I nominate William Golding as the patron saint of the mods for the new forum.
Is one patron saint enough?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:39 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
MOTION PASSED: Create a 'Points & Miles Blogs' Forum

Enough with the scare tactics from the peanut gallery. If you don't agree, just stay clear.

I like that FT will take a look and tries to evolve.

Now, if we're tougher on this forum than we are in the others, it says something wrong about how we run the others. If things go ballistic in the new forum, it's the fault of FT and how we've already allowed nastiness to settle in, in all areas of FT, not the fault of the TB for creating it, and certainly not whoever will be the new mod(s). I personally think that mods should be reassigned regularly and that this would be a perfect forum for a longtime mod to lay their hat.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Enough with the scare tactics from the peanut gallery. If you don't agree, just stay clear.
Oh, now you are for restricting conversation? How convenient.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:20 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Oh, now you are for restricting conversation? How convenient.
My guess is that the new forum will initially have more than its share of posters who enjoy irritating their readers. IMHO that sort of behavior does not belong on FT, except that it may be tolerated in the free-fire zone of OMNI/PR. Call that restricting conversation if you will. I call it restricting disruption, and it's done mostly by teaching members how to post well.

A good post to FT should be informative, useful, or funny. Too many disruptive posters grossly overestimate how funny their posts are. My personal rule of thumb is that if you are going to post something that would otherwise be disruptive, it needs to be laugh out loud funny. If the target of your humor nevertheless laughs at it, you have a winner.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx
My guess is that the new forum will initially have more than its share of posters who enjoy irritating their readers. IMHO that sort of behavior does not belong on FT, except that it may be tolerated in the free-fire zone of OMNI/PR. Call that restricting conversation if you will. I call it restricting disruption, and it's done mostly by teaching members how to post well.

A good post to FT should be informative, useful, or funny. Too many disruptive posters grossly overestimate how funny their posts are. My personal rule of thumb is that if you are going to post something that would otherwise be disruptive, it needs to be laugh out loud funny. If the target of your humor nevertheless laughs at it, you have a winner.
I think you misinterpreted DeaconFlyer's post. He was responding to seanthepilot who basically told folk that if they didn't like it to not go there (and called those FTers the peanut gallery besides ), which implied they couldn't participate in conversations re: the forum or participate in it.

Based on mia's post on what they've already had to deal w/ re: posts re: the bloggers, I'd say those have gone beyond what is found in other forums, even some that are snarky. So I don't agree w/ sean that they're going to be tougher than other forums, but that they have experience that shows some FTers go beyond TOS & one thread they've dealt with has shown vile behavior/posts. I'd be very surprised if sean approved of FTers attacking a blogger's sexuality vs. the content of the blog.

While I voted no against this forum, now that it has been approved I hope it goes well & I know the CommunityDirector & others are working to expand the remit a bit to make it a more valuable resource. And it might be a bit wild west in the beginning, but I have hope that things will settle down as time goes on.

Your post is re: what you'd like to see FT posts be in general, which of course is something to strive for but which we know in reality is not always the case.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Apr 13, 2013 at 10:32 am
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:23 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I like to assume the best of our fellow FlyerTalkers.

I understand there is a lot of concern about possible-terribles in the new forum, but really, let's give our fellow posters the benefit of the doubt. ^
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Gentle members: We definitely have differing perspectives and those is always welcome here, where TalkBoard's work is discussed and recommendations pro and con are made. Overly personalized remarks that verge on, or are, personal attacks against members are over the line of this forum and have been / will be deleted (as well as replies to the same).

Thank you for remembering civility is called for. /Moderator
Old Apr 13, 2013, 5:56 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Sorry DeaconFlyer, I did mean that if it's not a forum that a person would appreciate, then that person may be best to spend less if their time there, perhaps choosing to visit ones they do enjoy instead.

I am the last person who wants to restrict DISCUSSION.
Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by tom911
Can HansGolden share his view on why he did not vote on this issue? I checked both related threads and don't see that he posted in either to give an indication why he abstained.
I owe everyone an apology for not voting. I had a significant life event over that time and simply missed the vote. However, it did work out well because after carefully studying the issue, I would have abstained. I don't really like either option. I'm no fan of blog bashing, which feels like the impetus behind this. However, I do understand that there needs to be a place to discuss blogs because they are a very significant part of our community. If we can find moderators that are willing to daily walk what's going to be a very tough line of allowing freedom to point out flaws (which is important) without letting things descend into mud-slinging silliness, then bravo to those brave souls. Hopefully the new forum will blossom into a good resource for actually singling out the blogs that provide the best info rather than focusing on the negative.

Best of luck to the mods and CD as they try to implement this.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by HansGolden
Hopefully the new forum will blossom into a good resource for actually singling out the blogs that provide the best info rather than focusing on the negative.
Yea. Right
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by jaymar01
Yea. Right
I was at first appalled by Travel Blogger Buzz's seeming lack of logic or sense of context in its blogger bashing. However, once the blog author got it out of his system, the blog gave a much more measured and helpful assessment of the blogosphere. Much of the blogger bashing is very emotional without logic--I think it must be jealousy of profits masquerading as righteous indignation--and thus if people are given free rein to vent (good luck to the mods figuring that one out!), hopefully they'll follow TBB's pattern and get it out of their system, calm down, and be more measured in their assessments.

Also relevant is that the Streisand Effect has shown us that censoring stuff--no matter how outlandish and invalid--helps that same material actually gather steam rather than slowing it down.

Yes, I'm nervous that all the hard things can be worked out, but I'm cautiously hopeful as well.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...resources-723/ http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...l#post20603649

forum is up and includes >

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
• Websites focused on miles and points. There are sites in German, Swedish, and Chinese at a minimum. There are airline focused and country focused sites in English.
• Miles and points seminars
• Miles and points award shows
• Chartered events and excursions focused on the miles community.
english discussion here of foreign language content elsewhere would be pretty useful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.