Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Separate AmEx forum - why no Chase UR forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Separate AmEx forum - why no Chase UR forum?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there should be some kind of script that automatically posts this in every new forum thread >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...onsidered.html
And you think the majority of people would read it?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if people dont read it and follow it, then there should be no replies

it just gets silly

this could become a TB election issue, but as far as i recall it was not one last election
Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:45 pm

it just gets silly
(underline mine)

You do realize I am making post#18 in this thread, don't you?

I've lost count on how many threads that request new fora are started by folks who never read nor aware of said TB Topics sticky w/r/r new forum creation.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium

it just gets silly

this could become a TB election issue, but as far as i recall it was not one last election
I'm curious what you mean by your last line here.

As far as this goes, I'm not opposed to such a forum, but "because AMEX has one" is hardly a reason in itself for a forum for Chase.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peteropny
I think that there's an amount of interest in Chase UR on Flyertalk that is a bit overblown due to the plugs for the card from various bloggers associated (or formerly associated) with Flyertalk.
Add to that theat the prominence of credit card deals/discussions on FF bloggers' sites is linked to the fact that quite a few make a substantial income from credit card referrals and you end up with a double overblowing effect.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by mia
Flyertalk is a travel site, not a credit card board.
I assume you're saying this for context purposes of showing the way FT is organized, in which case I agree. It wouldn't make sense for this statement to purport that ONLY travel related discussions should be on FT (else why OMNI?), and not that signing up for credit cards for the purpose of obtaining miles/points isn't travel related.

Originally Posted by mia
Most "Chase" threads in Credit Card Programs are not about Ultimate Rewards, they are about the process of applying for cards to earn new account bonuses, about churning (and these threads have a high level of repetition). There are only 37 threads in the past 12 months with "Ultimate Rewards" or "UR" in the title.
And what do you think folks that are churning or applying for new cards are going to do with all of those UR points? This is still a relatively new program with most folks obtaining significant UR balances within the past 12 months - IMHO, we'll see a large upswing of participation in discussion around the UR program.

Originally Posted by mia
There is a different character to the discussions about Ultimate Rewards vs Membership Rewards or Club Rewards. Much of this is dictated by the simplicity of Chase's program: with only one airline partner per alliance, no history of transfer bonuses, and no international versions, there simply isn't as much to learn. (This is an observation, not a criticism. It's a nice program.)
Agreed that it's a simpler program, but again, does that serve as a disqualifying factor? WN's RR program is MUCH simpler than, say, UA's MP. But does that mean that RR shouldn't have it's own forum?

Originally Posted by lin821
If you have to ask, this.
Not appreciative of the snide undertone, but I do appreciate the link. I actually looked through all of the criteria and the guidelines are not at all definitive in ruling out Chase UR. In fact, based on these guidelines, I think I could make a pretty good case that the UR program is a pretty good candidate for a new forum. If I get a bit more time later today, I might make a point-by-point case toward that end.

Originally Posted by NickB
Add to that theat the prominence of credit card deals/discussions on FF bloggers' sites is linked to the fact that quite a few make a substantial income from credit card referrals and you end up with a double overblowing effect.
That's quite possibly true. But does that make the program any less legitimate? A program has to build itself somehow and quite possibly the folks at Chase understood that a good way to get this program off the ground is to do exactly what they're doing - offer large bonuses in a very lucrative program AND offer good cash to those promoting the card.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ramalama8

and the guidelines are not at all definitive in ruling out Chase UR. In fact, based on these guidelines, I think I could make a pretty good case that the UR program is a pretty good candidate for a new forum. If I get a bit more time later today, I might make a point-by-point case toward that end.
You'd probably help your case if you did so. As Rich mentioned, just because the other guy (Amex) has one isn't a strong enough case.

Cheers.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You'd probably help your case if you did so. As Rich mentioned, just because the other guy (Amex) has one isn't a strong enough case.

Cheers.
Agreed. That was a pretty weak reason.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:58 pm

Not appreciative of the snide undertone, but I do appreciate the link.
My reply was to your question:
So I guess my question is then what determines when a program gets its own forum?
If you have to ask, this.
If you had taken time skimming the forum sticky before starting this very thread, you would have known the answers to your very own question. By the way you asked your question, it appears you didn't read nor know it existed. Those criteria were established in Feb 2009, after your FT join date, so I don't think you may say it's before "your time."

Nothing personal, but you are not the first and will not be the last FTer who proposes a new forum without reading the sticky. That's why I said what I said in post#18. Please understand the frustration among those of us who frequent TB Topics Forum and read threads that repeatedly do not follow the game plan set for this forum. Over the years, I have been pointing out that link numerous times to those who have ideas for new fora. I tend to point out making good arguments are the best way to sell a proposal. Shooting the messenger won't help.

Personally, I don't think it's too much to ask for someone to post in this forum to at least read the sticky thread/s. And I thought it's polite to say "if you have to ask" without assigning any blame, especially it is the 1st sticky thread with only 3, abeit long, posts. YMMV.

I am sure TBers will be looking forward to your thought-out proposal that addresses all those criteria when you find time. Good luck!

Last edited by lin821; Apr 29, 2012 at 5:56 pm Reason: one correction
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...someone to post in this forum to at least read the sticky thread/s.
In fairness note that the thread was started in Credit Card Programs and I moved it here, leaving a sticky pointer there. Other moderators may well have let the topic simmer in the home forum for awhile, and that might have been ramalama8's expectation. I'd like to get past the procedural hurdles and read a cross section of thinking about the proposal, because it should help us better manage the Credit Card Programs message base, regardless of Talkboard's decision. I learn more when others disagree with me .
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by mia
In fairness note that the thread was started in Credit Card Programs and I moved it here, leaving a sticky pointer there.
I was/am aware of the original placement of this thread, mia. And kudos to your prompt action to move/merge threads, as always. ^

Not to be picky but if you put the discussion in chronological order, your mod note about moving is post#3, very early on for this discussion thread. Before I chimed in with post #14, OP had posted two more times after the move. Meaning OP not only got the headsup about the proper forum for the suggestion, but also kept providing input without reading the sticky thread in the new forum. I was merely pointing out savvy FTers expect folks to do their homework, no matter where OPs start their threads. But often, it's easy to just point and shoot. That's just one of our human flaws. Nothing we can do about it.

Enough for my OT and back-burner comments on human behavior. Let me turn the spotlight over to those who can make a good proposal out of this topic, so our TBers can start giving some serious thought on this.

Last edited by lin821; Mar 16, 2012 at 9:07 am Reason: "chronological"
Old Mar 17, 2012, 5:44 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA, UA, HHonors, PC
My personal opinion would be not to establish an UR forum. It is still in its novice stages. A couple of years ago thank you points were the 'best' currency. I imagine UR will be a major player longer, but I don't think each issuer/reward currency should have its own forum.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
Organization by post volume seems like a good way. Whenever ur reaches that threshold I would think the posts could be moved there.

That is also to say that flyertalk has too many sub forums without enough activity and wondered why they split it. If the purpose is for branding organization, I get that... But I personally think its a waste of real estate. As a new visitor to the site, I was overwhelmed with the number of forums.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Originally Posted by mia
snip...

Chase Ultimate Rewards is a USA-only program with 4 airline partners, 3 hotel chains and 1 railroad. It's an aggregation of Chase's existing card issuing relationships. (Chase is the affinity card issuer for all except one of the UR partners.) American Express and Diners offer frequent transfer bonus promotions; Ultimate Rewards does not.
Looks like 4 hotel chain transfers now...the Ritz transfer is available and I have not seen that before, but maybe I overlooked it. Hyatt, PC, Marriott, and Ritz. Although I think you could use Marriott points at the Ritz anyway before? I never stay at either one so I am not sure.

Last edited by millere2; Mar 19, 2012 at 1:51 pm
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Avis First
Agree with most of the others. Chase UR isn't relevant enough...and comparing it to Amex is a bit ridiculous given their redemption options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.