Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Separate AmEx forum - why no Chase UR forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Separate AmEx forum - why no Chase UR forum?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 1:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
This thread has been here almost a year now, ...
...with no posts between July and February. In my experience when everyone supports an idea it doesn't drop off the stage for six months.

Ultimate Rewards meets, barely, the minimum criteria that I would use to consider a separate forum. However, I am not a TalkBoard member, and my criteria are not important. I do think those who advocate creation of a new forum, any new forum, have the responsibility to demonstrate that FlyerTalk members would be better served than by the current arrangement. I have not yet seen this, but if TalkBoard formally considers the proposal the publicity will surely elicit more input.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by mia
...with no posts between July and February. In my experience when everyone supports an idea it doesn't drop off the stage
for six months.
Because it was pretty much poo-pooed on last time

Originally Posted by mia
Ultimate Rewards meets, barely, the minimum criteria that I would use to consider a separate forum. However, I am not a TalkBoard member, and my criteria are not important. I do think those who advocate creation of a new forum, any new forum, have the responsibility to demonstrate that FlyerTalk members would be better served than by the current arrangement. I have not yet seen this, but if TalkBoard formally considers the proposal the publicity will surely elicit more input.
Put it to a Yes/No referendum. I predict right here and now a landslide "yes"
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I went back and read the forum creation guidelines and concluded that for Ultimate Rewards it comes down to one question:

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?
I have spent a few hours reading the Credit Card Programs forum. That is one very active forum!

Three of its 4 sticky threads relate to Chase Ultimate Rewards. This indicates a high level of repetitive questions and concerns about UR. Approximately 10% of recent threads relate to Chase UR and its cards (Sapphire, Ink, and Freedom). Unloading that content would leave a still very active Credit Card Programs forum while improving its usability for discussion of other cards and general churning techniques.

On the flip side, why doesn't discussion of Chase Ultimate Rewards and its cards have value to members holding other cards? Why would I consider it "noise" to holders of other cards? What's unique about Ultimate Rewards? As I have posted before:

1. UR points are highly flexible. They are arguably more useful than Amex Membership Rewards points. UR members and prospective members need to know about options like UR to BA to IB, but that information isn't particularly useful to non-UR members in the Credit Card Programs forum.

2. UR points can be transferred to top off award balances for a spouse and in some cases for others. Some members have apparently sold their UR points and had their UR accounts closed for multiple transfers to people with different names. This is a relatively new problem. The rules and their application are not yet completely clear. Thus the stickies.

3. Different UR cards have different specialized bonuses. Again, this information has no utility for non-UR members. But it has great utility for holders of one UR card who are considering obtaining other types of UR cards for their category bonuses.

Based on my observations, I favor creation of a new forum for Chase Ultimate Rewards and UR-earning cards, analogous to the Amex Membership Rewards forum.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA exp(6mm), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx

Based on my observations, I favor creation of a new forum for Chase Ultimate Rewards and UR-earning cards, analogous to the Amex Membership Rewards forum.

Thank You!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 5:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Can anyone list additional arguments in favor or (or against) creation of a UR forum? I feel the need to put together just a little more rationale before asking for a vote.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AA exp(6mm), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
We have diners and membership rewards as separate forums, for which I am thankful. UR and possibly thank you fall into similar categories. Though I could make arguments both ways on thank since their transfer program is quite limited. UR has transfers to all alliances. The program is clearly the up and coming of all programs. Chase has done an excellent job of quickly moving their program forward and appears to be the most popular among more frequent flyers. While their program, to me, leans to Hyatt and united, neither of which are my main programs, the strategies to maximize UR points are the most appear to be the most written about.
Since flyertalk talks about most programs, this one seems to fit the qualifications of having its own forum.
I will make the same argument more vigorously for thank you once they have more transfer partners.
Until then, I would like to see better organization of UR on this forum as there are numerous strategies to maximize these points.
Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:56 pm

We strongly request a separate forum for UR. UR points are more valuable than MR points and it is the talk of the town now. Please give what the people want and not be a dictatorship. If there is one forum that people must have, I bet more people will vote UR than MR. You don't trust me? start a poll.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Dictatorship? A privately owned IBB can do what it likes and feels appropriate. As well, you can ask for a refund if you're not satisfied for the service they provide.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:39 am
mia

Originally Posted by windcloud5
... not be a dictatorship.
Originally Posted by Mary2e
A privately owned IBB can do what it likes and feels appropriate.
The decision to create new forums is not made by Internet Brands, but rather by the volunteer TalkBoard which is elected by the members of FlyerTalk. I suggest that name calling does not increase the probability of persuading TalkBoard to act. I further suggest that personal animosity toward those who hold a different opinion is unwarranted.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
That's not entirely true. The community director, or even IB, can create, and has created, forums without going to the talk board. Most do go through the talkboard, but not all of them.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Post Be familiar with TalkBoard...

Originally Posted by mia
Originally Posted by windcloud5
...not be a dictatorship.
The decision to create new forums is not made by Internet Brands, but rather by the volunteer TalkBoard which is elected by the members of FlyerTalk. I suggest that name calling does not increase the probability of persuading TalkBoard to act. I further suggest that personal animosity toward those who hold a different opinion is unwarranted.
What mia said. ^

In case you need more info about TalkBoard, this post about TalkBoard Guidelines will tell you how TalkBoard operates. If you can get the majority TalkBoard members to share the same views as you, you"ll see a motion made then passed with flying colors. If not, no new forum get created.

Or you may try what Mary2e suggested, communicate to our Community Director directly (via PM or email I suppose) and see if you can win her over. Do keep in mind the underlined text though:

Originally Posted by Mary2e
The community director, or even IB, can create, and has created, forums without going to the talk board. Most do go through the talkboard, but not all of them.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I personally would like to see an American Express Forum that includes Membership Rewards information. Seems to me that it is hidden in the Credit Card Forum. I would like to share ideas with other travlers that use the AMEX Card. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:34 am
mia

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I personally would like to see an American Express Forum that includes Membership Rewards information. Seems to me that it is hidden in the Credit Card Forum. I would like to share ideas with other travlers that use the AMEX Card. Thanks and Safe Travels
There is already a separate Membership Rewards forum. Click here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...p-rewards-410/
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Oops!

Originally Posted by mia
There is already a separate Membership Rewards forum. Click here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...p-rewards-410/
Thanks mia for pointing that out.. Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:40 pm

The Credit Card Program is simply one of MANY sub-forums here on FT. If the Airline Sub-Forum can have 55 different programs ranging from the very popular UA (2.8 mil posts) to the least popular AirBerlin (2,044 posts), then why can't the Credit Card Sub Forum be similar? I am sure Chase UR would gain more than 2,044 posts.

Yes it goes back to the argument that Airline sub-forums are more important than credit card sub-forums because FT is a frequent flyer based forum. However, that argument loses credibility because:

1. You have a Car Rental Program Sub-Forum with 7 programs, including the non popular Thrifty (2,000+ posts).
2. A Hotel Sub-Forum with 12 programs, once again ranging from popular to un-popular programs.
and 3. Your Other loyalty program sub-forum has more programs (3) than the credit card sub-forum (just MR and Diners).

As a new FT member, I expected TONS of programs listed under the Credit-card sub-forum and was very surprised to see a consolidated "other credit card programs" forum.

It seems as though FT is trying to single out MR and Diners due to its "exclusiveness". Who cares if MR has a billion posts and UR has 3,000. Your other sub-forums prove that being a popular program is not a prerequisite to owning its own forum.

If you are to keep the Credit Card program sub-forum as is, then I suggest you change the Car Rental programs to just Hertz, Avis, and National because clearly, the other 4 rental programs deserve only an "other car rental programs" forum. Same goes for all other similar sub-forums.

My 2 miles.

Last edited by SuperKirby; Mar 11, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.