Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

New post-count titles for FlyerTalk? Nominate your favorites!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New post-count titles for FlyerTalk? Nominate your favorites!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Get Rid of....

Originally Posted by Beckles
I'd prefer we get rid of the titles we have, I believe quantity and quality of contribution have a low correlation unfortunately.
I say and agree strongly with others who advocate the elimination of ALL titles.

They do nothing for a vast majority of us.....NOT IMPRESSIVE AT ALL.

Give me content over number of posts.

As a new comer, my sense is that some with the titles behave like they "own the joint" and theirs is the only voice of reason. At times patronizing.....(you should be self depracating while asking for a water glass top up in Bus Class!).

We the members / readers will soon find out whose posts are worth reading. e. g. there are a few prosilytizers (?) for a particular airline that I have now learned that their fav can do no wrong, eyewitness accounts / documentation be damned !

You soon learn to discount 95 % of what they say.

So on with content, off with titles, leave number of postings on.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
As Rich pointed out, elimination of titles is not on the table. This thread is about coming up with intermediate titles should we decide to implement them. We wanted to garner input re: some possible titles vs. just coming up w/ some on our own & then having FTers say wait, you didn't ask us about which titles to use

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
As Rich pointed out, elimination of titles is not on the table. This thread is about coming up with intermediate titles should we decide to implement them. We wanted to garner input re: some possible titles vs. just coming up w/ some on our own & then having FTers say wait, you didn't ask us about which titles to use

Cheers.
From the OP, it sounds like implementing intermediate titles is a foregone conclusion.

I am confident that during this process some clear leaders among the proposals will emerge. When the dust settles, SanDiego1k (or the TalkBoard by informal agreement among ourselves) can set up a public poll among the top proposals. Then we will have the titles that our members prefer, and everybody will have had a vote.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
From the OP, it sounds like implementing intermediate titles is a foregone conclusion.
I wouldn't say that. I've grown a bit lukewarm to the whole idea, with the exception of possibly putting something in at 5K and changing the word Evangelist to something else. And that's not a bit deal, either.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
1K......

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
OK. Additional titles...do we want to sound like banks with dozens of VPs, Dept Directors what have you?

Unless we have descriptive titles that tells the reader " what kind " of person the poster is....Lurker, Newbie.....a la scout rankings?

This would really be intriguing but may turn out to be controversial !

Or maybe we can just title them 1K 2K 3K etc.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Not sure its a forgone conclusion. Perhaps a creative exercise to see what sort of names perk our interest. I still like FlyerTalk Prophet.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 2:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Not sure its a forgone conclusion. Perhaps a creative exercise to see what sort of names perk our interest.
Correct.

There's no mandate to create additional titles. We just thought it might be something that the FT members might be interested in and want to comment on.

So rather than just make the decisions ourselves and discuss it internally, we thought we'd start a public thread right away for public comment and suggestions.

I really have no idea if or when this issue will ever reach the stage of making a motion.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I personally think post count "titles" are silly. No need for them. Elitism come to mind? Sorry, but I guess I'm Off Topic.

Originally Posted by RichMSN
The word Evangelist is, well, dumb.

Speaking as a member first and foremost:

The best thought I've seen posted includes "elite" levels like airlines:

0-999 General Member
1000-4999 Silver Member
5000-9999 Gold Member
10000-19999 (or some other threshold) Platinum Member
20000+ (or some other threshold) Member-chosen title

I think "it's not broke, don't change anything" is really off-topic for this thread as well. Needing to change it has nothing to do with this.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
I never look at the titles
but do check the post count occasionally.
I normally just take in what the post is about.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
my 2 cents:

We have recently evidenced a couple posters who continuously engage in post padding to reach 10,000 in less than 6 months.

Adding levels like silver/gold/whatnot based on post count would only validate/encourage this.

I am with the content vs number of posts as well for any "titles".

The current system does not work, it just encourages pointless posts from some (for some reason motivated by the title Evangelist)
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:11 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rankourabu
my 2 cents:

We have recently evidenced a couple posters who continuously engage in post padding to reach 10,000 in less than 6 months.

Adding levels like silver/gold/whatnot based on post count would only validate/encourage this.

I am with the content vs number of posts as well for any "titles".

The current system does not work, it just encourages pointless posts from some (for some reason motivated by the title Evangelist)
Total agreement - any system that is based only, or in major part, on post count is in my view at best useless and potentially harmful. The reason for this is that, as we have seen, some people will "post pad" and that makes FT must less useful and friendly for the rest of us.

I'm not against titles, but the title should be earned based on true contributions to FT and not just number of posts.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:07 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Post padding (the devaluation of Flyertalk content with useless posts) will continue to be rewarded as long as people rush for the titles. We may be best to create new titles with caution.

There is a time and post requirement for access to some forums. My next thought goes along with this thinking.

Can someone really be termed an Evangelist or considered a significant expert/contributor without a bit of time here?

...perhaps, say 3 to 5 years (at 6 posts per day, it would take almost 5 years to reach 10,000 posts). Why not have a brake that a combination of time and posts be needed to achieve the titles. The fact that people swamp in 10,000 posts in 12 to 18 months need not be rewarded.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL (MM), UA(MM) , AA(MM) , Bonvoy - LT Titanium
Originally Posted by aussielori
I never look at the titles
but do check the post count occasionally.
I normally just take in what the post is about.
Same here. I usually look at combination of post count and no. of years as FT member. A very high post count in just a couple of years...well that just doen't seem right....
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by tullupump
Same here. I usually look at combination of post count and no. of years as FT member. A very high post count in just a couple of years...well that just doen't seem right....
With the 180/180 rule for OMNi (you have to have at least 180 posts and be a member for at least 180 days before you can have access there), there's already precedent for doing a # posts / # years combo.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
<180 posts - New Member
>180 posts - Veteran

>1/3 posts in Omni* - special "Omni-*****" rider

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.