Wiki Posts
Search

MEGAthreads - your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:46 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by colpuck
The standard with “mega-threads” should be the following. The thread being merged must be sufficiently germane to the mega-thread that a reasonable person would look for the information requested in the merged thread in the mega-thread.

I.E. if the mega-thread is titled “will my upgrade clear?” you have to ask yourself would a thread asking about the purchase price of said upgrade belong in that thread.

More concerning is the trend where merged threads go like this.
Post 1: OP Q’s
Post 2: Reply, “search is your friend” and a link or two if any.
Post 3: Mod either locking the thread or merging it.

At least to me, the “search is your friend” posts come off as unfriendly and unwelcoming. Next the instant lock or merge by the moderation is a) also unfriendly and b) sometimes not warranted. It seems that the proposal to let threads develop more before merger or lock would let the information flow before the necessary clean up action takes place.

I am sure most of us can agree that the search function on FT is only marginally functional. Demanding that people use it only to find mega-threads that may only be tangentially related to the OP's original topic is a touch hostile.
This all seems remarkably sensible to me, however, whether TB can do anything that is a moderation issue has yet to be seen.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Markie
This all seems remarkably sensible to me, however, whether TB can do anything that is a moderation issue has yet to be seen.
I agree Mega Threads is a moderation issue.. and as such the jurisdiction lies with the Moderators.. If they need some input perhaps, they can let TB know in what sort of form that would look like..
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Agreed. It certainly is a moderation issue, not a TB issue.

But, as there's no "ORP"-type forum to express concerns like this & have a discussion around them & there is, IMHO, a chance a thread like this would get closed in the Suggestions forum (and not as widely read there), this forum can serve as an outlet for things that may not be fully within our scope, but that may require attention for the good of FlyerTalk.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I do think this is a mod issue & not a TB issue. I'm glad that some mods are willing to consider the issue & look at their own forum (and in some cases even poll their forum members - yeah peter & markie!) re: the issue.

BTW - count me in the irritated re: mega-threads getting merged - well, at least w/ mods not actually reading the OP & just merging it into another thread because the title had a couple of words another megathread did. I started a thread today; had one reply 7 minutes after posting & right after that it got merged into a 2-page thread - which had to do w/ revenue travel & my question was award-related. When i questioned that, my comment was removed. So I did what any good FTer would do - I went away from FT to other sources to find my answer

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jan 30, 2012 at 11:04 pm
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:38 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by skiadcock
i do think this is a mod issue & not a tb issue. I'm glad that some mods are willing to consider the issue & look at their own forum (and in some cases even poll their forum members - yeah peter & markie!) re: The issue.

Btw - count me in the irritated re: Mega-threads getting merged - well, at least w/ mods not actually reading the op & just merging it into another thread because the title had a couple of words another megathread did. I started a thread today; had one reply 7 minutes after posting & right after that it got merged into a 2-page thread - which had to do w/ revenue travel & my question was award-related. When i questioned that, my comment was removed. So i did what any good fter would do - i went away from ft to other sources to find my answer

Cheers.
!!!!!aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!

FT fail.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
!!!!!aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!

FT fail.
Exactly. Really, really sad.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Exactly. Really, really sad.
You seem to have been given a mission then - if you choose to accept it
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
You seem to have been given a mission then - if you choose to accept it
I'm not sure -- I expect some will use the "purview" word and claim they know what's best in "their" forum.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
What is the best way to solve this?

In the "Tricks" megathread, there is a lot of debate/gnashing of teeth about how we know when something is a "Deal" or if it should be merged into "Tricks". While I think this is probably a moderator decision, I think it would be useful to have a public discussion as to how we know when/if something is an 'error' or a 'trick'.

It's a serious problem, because it results in pages and pages of internal debate every time a thread gets merged, and most of this debate violates TOS because people are criticizing or praising moderator actions. It's driving me crazy. What is the proper FT method to initiate a discussion about 'what belongs' in a Megathread?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by janetdoe
In the "Tricks" megathread, there is a lot of debate/gnashing of teeth about how we know when something is a "Deal" or if it should be merged into "Tricks". While I think this is probably a moderator decision, I think it would be useful to have a public discussion as to how we know when/if something is an 'error' or a 'trick'.

It's a serious problem, because it results in pages and pages of internal debate every time a thread gets merged, and most of this debate violates TOS because people are criticizing or praising moderator actions. It's driving me crazy. What is the proper FT method to initiate a discussion about 'what belongs' in a Megathread?
You can PM the moderator..

Thread merging hasn't been a perfect science ..
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:02 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by janetdoe

If you take the time to skim this locked thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-feedback.html

You will find that some moderators have implemented moderation feedback threads in the forums they moderate.

Ask the forum moderator to do the same. If they refuse, keep asking.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by colpuck
I am sure most of us can agree that the search function on FT is only marginally functional.
While it could certainly be improved, I would say that the Search function on FlyerTalk has worked rather well for me recently.
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I agree Mega Threads is a moderation issue.. and as such the jurisdiction lies with the Moderators.. If they need some input perhaps, they can let TB know in what sort of form that would look like..
I would argue that this is neither a moderation nor a TalkBoard issue.

It is a FlyerTalk member issue. Give the majority of FlyerTalk members in a particular forum what they want if it helps to enhance the user experience. If the majority of FlyerTalk members want threads to be merged into mega-threads, then let us grant that request. If the majority of FlyerTalk members want to leave things as they are, then we shall leave things well enough alone. FlyerTalk members should have the final say.

It is quite simple, really — at least, in my opinion and experience, anyway...
Originally Posted by kokonutz
You will find that some moderators have implemented moderation feedback threads in the forums they moderate.
That is correct.

In the Hilton HHonors forum, we have the following discussions open for FlyerTalk member feedback:
When I first became moderator of the Hilton HHonors forum, the single most popular complaint by far by FlyerTalk members was the proliferation of threads discussing the same hotel property or location.

After spending weeks merging and consolidating threads, the number of threads in the Hilton HHonors forum was reduced by 20 percent, and the complaints subsided substantially. Most hotel properties in the Hilton HHonors forum have two threads: a general main thread whose title is the exact name of the hotel property for ease of searching, and a trip reports and reviews thread.

One policy we adopted due to FlyerTalk member feedback is to not merge threads right away. We now usually wait a couple of weeks, a month, or when the original request is answered before we merge many — if not most — threads which would have originally been merged immediately.

For extremely popular hotel properties, we attempt to have more than two different threads, as those separate discussions in and of themselves can be substantial.

I have personally proactively sought the opinions of FlyerTalk members who frequent the Hilton HHonors forum and many — if not most — seem to be happy with the current format. If and when that is no longer the case, we are prepared to follow the feedback we receive at any time, including splitting apart discussions to form separate threads, if necessary. All FlyerTalk members who frequent the Hilton HHonors forum need to do is simply let us know.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Canarsie
It is a FlyerTalk member issue. Give the majority of FlyerTalk members in a particular forum what they want if it helps to enhance the user experience. If the majority of FlyerTalk members want threads to be merged into mega-threads, then let us grant that request. If the majority of FlyerTalk members want to leave things as they are, then we shall leave things well enough alone. FlyerTalk members should have the final say.
Speaking as a regular FTer, that's great in theory & when it happens. But there are some forums & mods that don't hew to that, and that IS a problem.

Note I say that in the generic sense to avoid getting tossed off of FT due to TOS violation, but it's true.

Cheers.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I'm not sure -- I expect some will use the "purview" word and claim they know what's best in "their" forum.
Well didn't you get elected to push the boundaries?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Canarsie
While it could certainly be improved, I would say that the Search function on FlyerTalk has worked rather well for me recently.I would argue that this is neither a moderation nor a TalkBoard issue.

Imagine FT members having free reign on FT enhancements. without supervision that is.

I think that feedback from members has always been part of the equation.. the question was who would be the correct party (TB or Moderators) to handle the feedback, and channel the proper solutions based on the feedback. As moderators are on the front line and handling the merging and organization of megathreads already, the decisions could be made by moderators to format threads as desired by FT members..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.