Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should there be a forum or threads or <insert your idea> for moderation feedback?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should there be a forum or threads or <insert your idea> for moderation feedback?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:39 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

The TalkBoard is tasked with making recommendations for the creation and eliminating forums and TOS amendments.

In this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...l-you-why.html

a prolonged discussion took place regarding how to make the day-to-day management of FT more responsive to posters and poster input.

Among the suggestions was a forum dedicated to moderation input. Such a forum exists on other boards such as http://www.travelunderground.org/index.php

On that forum there is a section specifically for discussion of moderation. There exists there a healthy and open dialogue about moderation on the board. I am not certain, but I think that 'moderated' posts go there as well, so all can see what is being moderated out of the main forums.

The approach is: moderation actions will never be taken in secret; that way everyone can learn from them.

Meanwhile, on an ad hoc basis, some FT moderators have created threads within the forums they moderate to accept feedback on day-to-day management.

These include (but are not limited to):

Moderators Guilty of Premature Evacuation

The Merged Merged Threads Thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni/...t-discuss.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...-type-dos.html

To me, the problem with this ad hoc approach is that it requires a moderator willing to allow (or start) such threads and ends up providing different levels of poster input into the day-to-day operation of FT based on whatever forum one happens to be in.

So my question is whether it makes sense for the TB to recommend the creation of a forum where poster input is allowed on day-to-day management where things like mega-threading, best practices and general rules can take place?

Or if perhaps there should be a standardized thread in each forum for such input?

Or some other method to publicly discuss these matters?

Or if this discussion should continue to only take place (in some instances) at the discretion of the moderator of the specific forum or (in other instances) in the specific instances the moderators care to collect feedback, leaving all other questions and discussions about day-to-day management to PM, email and other IBBs where FT moderation is openly discussed (ie, the status quo)?

Any and all input welcome, AFAIAC. ^
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ignoring everything else - even if there was such a thread in every forum, i dont see how moderators could be forced to participate. related >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...orp-forum.html
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Is Premature Evacuation when you cannot make it to the toilet in time ?

Anyway, I find that all the moderated threads are done in secret unless you count "we deleted unnecessary posts that we did not like and added no value in our opinion" added as a post.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by kokonutz
To me, the problem with this ad hoc approach is that it requires a moderator willing to allow (or start) such threads and ends up providing different levels of poster input into the day-to-day operation of FT based on whatever forum one happens to be in.

So my question is whether it makes sense for the TB to recommend the creation of a forum where poster input is allowed on day-to-day management where things like mega-threading, best practices and general rules can take place?
I believe that it depends on the what the community in a particular forum wants or needs, not whether or not a moderator is “willing” to launch threads requesting feedback.

FlyerTalk moderators — by my observation, anyway, and not just because I happen to be a FlyerTalk moderator — generally do care about the FlyerTalk members whom they serve and want to provide them with the best experience possible. Otherwise, what is the point of volunteering to become a moderator?

Also, not all discussion needs to be public: FlyerTalk members also send private communications to moderators with their ideas, concerns or suggestions.

While I believe — and always have believed — that openness and transparency should be encouraged, I am not convinced that having an entity recommend or dictate this openness and transparency is the best solution.

I could be wrong...
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I believe that it depends on the what the community in a particular forum wants or needs, not whether or not a moderator is “willing” to launch threads requesting feedback.

FlyerTalk moderators — by my observation, anyway, and not just because I happen to be a FlyerTalk moderator — generally do care about the FlyerTalk members whom they serve and want to provide them with the best experience possible. Otherwise, what is the point of volunteering to become a moderator?

Also, not all discussion needs to be public: FlyerTalk members also send private communications to moderators with their ideas, concerns or suggestions.

While I believe — and always have believed — that openness and transparency should be encouraged, I am not convinced that having an entity recommend or dictate this openness and transparency is the best solution.

I could be wrong...
Certainly public input and discussions having a standardized home would not preclude private discussions as well. ^
Old Dec 6, 2011, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I would like to see a thread on moderation as a sticky in each forum, as I think that the members of each forum are the best ones to comment. A sticky would be easy for members to find, rather than sending them to a different forum to comment on moderation.

That's a start anyway.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 6:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I could be wrong...
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Among the suggestions was a forum dedicated to moderation input. Such a forum exists on other boards such as http://www.travelunderground.org/index.php

On that forum there is a section specifically for discussion of moderation. There exists there a healthy and open dialogue about moderation on the board. I am not certain, but I think that 'moderated' posts go there as well, so all can see what is being moderated out of the main forums.
Your description is correct, although I will confess to taking immediate action a couple times. One I regretted & posted about it; the other involved removing a derogatory reference to a young woman in the news, however, no "disciplinary action" was taken in that case either.

In six months we've suspended ZERO real members at Travel Underground. Perhaps half a dozen forum spammers have been put on ice.

What we've discovered at Travel Underground is that people respond (sometimes reluctantly, but they do respond) if you apply enough just effort to effect the desired behavior. It keeps our best & most active members contributing productively, and they are worth the time & effort.

And yes, I do read every post -- about 17,000 to date. If your moderators can't do the job, you need moderators interested enough in the job to get it done.

Someone (kipper?) asked how many were disengaged from TS/S after the changes. About 200 have shown up at Travel Underground, and they continue to arrive. Many more have probably disengaged but not made the switch. Our annualized rate of pageviews runs 700k - 1M, depending on how much TSA stupidity is in the news.

These users and all this activity gladly would have remained at TS/S were it not for the ill-advised changes that were made there.

TS/S, on the other hand, is just a shell of what it used to be. What's most ironic is that the two FlyerTalkers who whined the loudest about the old TS/S still don't grace the "new" TS/S with their participation, even though it's been destroyed to their liking.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:43 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Or if perhaps there should be a standardized thread in each forum for such input?
This is my initial favorite.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
ignoring everything else - even if there was such a thread in every forum, i dont see how moderators could be forced to participate.
I do. Carol could add this requirement to the moderator's counterpart to the TOS. This would not be something the TB should formally recommend, but if a consensus develops on this thread I'm sure the idea will be thoroughly considered by the moderators and by Carol.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:49 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
What we've discovered at Travel Underground is that people respond (sometimes reluctantly, but they do respond) if you apply enough just effort to effect the desired behavior. It keeps our best & most active members contributing productively, and they are worth the time & effort.

And yes, I do read every post -- about 17,000 to date. If your moderators can't do the job, you need moderators interested enough in the job to get it done.
This is EXACTLY how we do it on the Southwest forum, where you used to hang out a lot. It's difficult to sustain as a forum gets large, but it's worth the effort. It's much easier to keep the garden weed-free than to remove weeds from an overgrown garden.

These users and all this activity gladly would have remained at TS/S were it not for the ill-advised changes that were made there. TS/S, on the other hand, is just a shell of what it used to be.
My perspective:

Originally Posted by nsx
I hope you're not under the impression that there is some ideal forum structure and policy that can attract and retain every potential poster. The fundamental problem is that some posting styles do not mix. Some people prefer to read calm posts; others prefer to read heated posts. People generally post in the style they prefer to read.

Given this reality, FT needed to choose which style to cater to for TS&S discussion. Since the rest of FT encourages calm posts, the decision was obvious. That decision was and is right for FT. It's not right for members who prefer heated posts. Travelunderground caters to those members, and IMHO everybody is better off for the separation. It's win-win.

Could FT have created another TS&S forum for heated discussions? I threw the wild idea of an "anything goes" forum into the mix in the committee. However having "hot" and "cold" forums on the same subject on FT would be a problem. Heated posts would be made continually in the "cold" forum, creating endless work for moderators. This deficiency is present, but to a lesser degree, under the current structure. Having the "anything goes" posts on a different website is an improvement. One size will never fit all.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:53 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
These users and all this activity gladly would have remained at TS/S were it not for the ill-advised changes that were made there.

TS/S, on the other hand, is just a shell of what it used to be. What's most ironic is that the two FlyerTalkers who whined the loudest about the old TS/S still don't grace the "new" TS/S with their participation, even though it's been destroyed to their liking.
Congratulations on your windfall, Mike. I really do wish you well and hope your board continues to be a smashing success. ^
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
This is my initial favorite.

I do. Carol could add this requirement to the moderator's counterpart to the TOS. This would not be something the TB should formally recommend, but if a consensus develops on this thread I'm sure the idea will be thoroughly considered by the moderators and by Carol.
After watching the Delta moderation thread in action today, I am beginning to lean that way was well.

I'm certain the TB could come up with a recommendation to amend the TOS to create these threads, preferably as stickies and with clear titles....

Something like this:

Discussing Specific Forum Moderator Actionsion
Each forum contains a stickied thread for discussion of that forum's moderation decisions and actions. These threads exist to collaboratively discuss and improve moderation in that forum. On-board discussion of moderator decisions - including post deletions and member discipline - is not allowed and will be removed in these threads only. Members will also be subject to disciplinary action. Similarly, However, abusive and/or uncivil posts will be deleted. posts announcing a member's return to FlyerTalk after aDiscussion of individual posters' suspension or ban are not allowed in these threads. If you have a question about a moderator action, you may also contact the moderator directly or Carol the Community Director (SanDiego1k).
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by kipper
I would like to see a thread on moderation as a sticky in each forum, as I think that the members of each forum are the best ones to comment. A sticky would be easy for members to find, rather than sending them to a different forum to comment on moderation.

That's a start anyway.
Given that some members have complained about too many stickies at the top of some forums, I'm not sure a sticky thread would be a workable solution.

Besides, often stickies are the least-looked-at threads in a forum. The eye seems to naturally skip all the administrative junk at the top of the page and jump right down to the meat of the forum.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jackal
Given that some members have complained about too many stickies at the top of some forums, I'm not sure a sticky thread would be a workable solution.

Besides, often stickies are the least-looked-at threads in a forum. The eye seems to naturally skip all the administrative junk at the top of the page and jump right down to the meat of the forum.
I don't like the idea that it floats and can be pushed several pages down, because I think it might make it more difficult to find for users.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by kipper
I don't like the idea that it floats and can be pushed several pages down, because I think it might make it more difficult to find for users.
I appreciate that a few members here think that this is a major, major issue. But I defer to Canarsie's experience:

It must work — that thread is rarely “bumped up”, so the Delta SkyMiles forum moderators must be doing something right — and even then, sometimes a FlyerTalk member will post to it not to complain, but rather to commend the moderators of the Delta SkyMiles forum. Those commendations especially make my day better.

Many issues in the Delta SkyMiles forum have been resolved in that thread.

Even more interesting, you might be amazed that — despite the public thread — how many FlyerTalk members will contact me privately first about a problem or an issue before taking it public if necessary, which is exactly the protocol that should be followed.

It works.
In one of the busier forums on FT, there's a few posts each month (on average) on this subject. Certainly not worthy of sticky status, IMHO. Ignoring the arguments for and against whether this type of venue should exist, it appears that where it does exist, it serves to show that this is not a major issue for the vast majority of posters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.