Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Merged Merged Threads Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:14 am
Original Poster

The Merged Merged Threads Thread

Personally I'm an occasional visitor to the sight (probably once a week on average). I must comment that I think that the sight has gotten very carried away with merging everything into one thread.

Why do I want to read hotel updates from 1999 or 2002? I for one don't have any problem with people posting seperate threads asking for updates on properties or specific questions about properties. Personally I would say that I actually use the sight less over the past several months as I get tired of seeing the same 8 page threads that were started 7 years ago.

I understand you can't please all the people all the time but perhaps threads with specific questions can be allowed to stand on their own for a week or two before merging.

Regards,
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation I love this forum!

Originally Posted by MacDaddie
Personally I'm an occasional visitor to the sight (probably once a week on average). I must comment that I think that the sight has gotten very carried away with merging everything into one thread.

Why do I want to read hotel updates from 1999 or 2002? I for one don't have any problem with people posting seperate threads asking for updates on properties or specific questions about properties. Personally I would say that I actually use the sight less over the past several months as I get tired of seeing the same 8 page threads that were started 7 years ago.

I understand you can't please all the people all the time but perhaps threads with specific questions can be allowed to stand on their own for a week or two before merging.

Regards,
I completely disagree . Squeakr and Canarsie have worked very hard to organize this forum into one of the best on FlyerTalk!! ^^ Isn't questioning how the Mods govern a forum against FT TOS? So as a word of advice, I would step lightly on this subject. @:-)

Do you realize you can search within a thread for a particular amount of time?? You yourself, can limit the amount of information you want to see. I would suggest reading the Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread and the UPDATE: Hilton Forum Thread Count Decreased by Greater Than 20%! thread.

It's really easy to complain about the maintenance of this forum when you're not the one doing it. These folks work hard at thankless job on their OWN TIME! If everyone started a new thread on each new property, this forum would be like the wild, wild west.

Mods keep up the good work! ^^^
Old Oct 14, 2007, 8:56 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Please keep the discussion going pertaining to merging threads.

The Hilton forum moderators are here at your service and are constantly attempting to improve our service to you regarding this forum. Many of the actions that we perform are as a result of your input.

All I ask is that the discussion remain constructive and civil.

Thank you.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Hilton forum
Originally Posted by MacDaddie
That is often done, MacDaddie.

Additionally, a re-direct of the original thread to the merged thread is provided so that Hilton forum FlyerTalk members are ensured as to where the discussion went.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:01 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Would it help if you started looking at long threads or merged threads starting with the last page?

Then, as the dates get older and older (each reply is dated) you can decide when old is old enough.

Travel tips: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:15 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
dude

i dont get it?

i mean why start new threads again and again?
the search function is already not able to work properly so we need the housekeeping.

and why start a new thread on the conrad tokyo if we already have one big thread?

starting at the last page is a good hint and i am happy not to have to read through 10 thread on one property.

i am sorry but you have to learn how to use this forum , if you do you will see that you can get most information you are looking for on FT.

dp
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
I am torn on this topic and can adjust to either...the only thing I do not like is "family of hotels" threads...if I want to know specifically about the Hilton at the Airport in X city then I do not like wading through all the other hotels in X but I am thankful for this site and the job the moderators do...merged threads I think overall are preferrable and I simply jump to the last page.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:33 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I must say that I am somewhat in agreement with MacDaddie on this one...

I think that the principal of merging threads on specific subjects (e.g. reports on specific properties) is a good one, however I do get frustrated when searching for (say) an email address or more specific info on a particular property, to have to "wade through" lots of other pages of information to get to the information that I want.

So again, I do agree with the principal of what is being done (and obviously really appreciate the time and effort that is going into this), but wonder if there may be a slightly different solution that could fulfill both needs ?

Just my 2 cents worth ....
Old Oct 14, 2007, 9:07 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Exclamation

While the merged threads can seem confusing, it does keep all the info together. But, if you're not aware of one feature I can see that it would seem chaotic.

What's that feature? For people who are logged in, it's the check mark in front of the thread title for threads with new posts. If you click on that check mark, it takes you to the first post since the last date/time you logged in. So when a thread gets merged, you will still jump to the new info.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
We don't need another thread when someone asks about a breakfast at a specific hotel etc.

Unfortunately some posters are rude and not willing to spend a minute doing a search first but rather expect others to do their job.

I am all for merged threads.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by holtju2
We don't need another thread when someone asks about a breakfast at a specific hotel etc.

Unfortunately some posters are rude and not willing to spend a minute doing a search first but rather expect others to do their job.

As am I and it makes complete sense to me. ^
Old Oct 15, 2007, 5:32 am
Suspended

Can I get an AMEN?!
Old Oct 15, 2007, 6:02 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite

This sums it up very well for me. I truly appreciate what Canarsie and Squeakr have done to "clean up" this forum.... just have the Hyatt and Starwood forums.... long overdue.

I rarely have to ask any questions because the information is so much easier to find these days.

To the OP, if you are seeing the same threads over and over again when you visit, that is probably because they still generate interest... otherwise they would fall off the page. That is what makes merging so valuable... I much prefer having to peruse one thread vs several on the same subject. If you do not want to wade through all the old material (which I find very valuable) then just click on the last page and read in reverse....

One other helpful hint: You can go into your account options and set it up so that ever thread starts with the newest threads at the top.... that way as soon as you open a thread, you see the latest and newest post on that subject.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 6:38 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond

Am I missing something here guys?

Say I want to find out a specific piece of information on a particularly popular hotel - like say an email address to contact the Waldorf Astoria ....

Now if we have merged all threads on the Waldorf into one long one, does that mean that I have to trawl one thread with 20-30 pages (or more) for the particular information ?

Or if we had separate threads about specific info, then I can do a search and easily pick the thread from the search results that refers directly to email addresses in the title ....

Maybe I do not know how to use the search function properly, so I am open to correction on this one.

Regarding the comments above, while I agree with the sentiments, I personally think that this is over-simplifying things.....
Old Oct 15, 2007, 6:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JAP
Am I missing something here guys?

Say I want to find out a specific piece of information on a particularly popular hotel - like say an email address to contact the Waldorf Astoria ....

Now if we have merged all threads on the Waldorf into one long one, does that mean that I have to trawl one thread with 20-30 pages (or more) for the particular information ?

Or if we had separate threads about specific info, then I can do a search and easily pick the thread from the search results that refers directly to email addresses in the title ....

Maybe I do not know how to use the search function properly, so I am open to correction on this one.

Regarding the comments above, while I agree with the sentiments, I personally think that this is over-simplifying things.....
Yes, you can search within a thread. Check the "search" post link in my first post of this thread for more detailed information.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 8:44 am
Community Director Emerita

JAP, I'm not sure this will be helpful for your email example - but this has saved me hours of time when looking at search results.

Go to advanced search.

Put in your search criteria.

Then you have the option: show results as threads or posts

Click on posts.

Voila.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.