Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2008, 6:28 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by rcs85551
It is also a major difference whether you paid for the respective class of service, used miles for the entire ticket, or upgraded through some upgrade instrument.
Not sure this is entirely correct. Had the misconnect been not due to weather but due to, say, staff shortage, the EU regulation would apply. This regulation makes it clear that compensation for a downgrade has to be paid on award tickets too.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:25 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Not sure this is entirely correct. Had the misconnect been not due to weather but due to, say, staff shortage, the EU regulation would apply. This regulation makes it clear that compensation for a downgrade has to be paid on award tickets too.
I believe what I posted is 100% correct. Also, for the record, I believe my previous post makes it very clear that pure award tickets are not exempt from local laws/regulations in the event of a downgrade, so I don't know why you misquote/misinterpret my psot.

1. Misconnect is misconnect. Airline is obligated to re-route the passenger according to their contract of carriage and applicable laws and regulations - subject to availability of seats.

2. Downgrade: again, you need to realize that you need to distinguish between:

Part 1) which is the difference in fares. Paid ticket -> cash back; Mileage ticket -> mileage back; Upgraded ticket -> upgrade intrument back. This applies in any event if the passenger is flying in a lower cabin than originally ticketed.

Part 2) which is additional downgrade compensation, either presented voluntarily by the airline or because there are local laws/regulations giving the passenger rights to additional compensation. Pre-requisite is always that the passenger had been confirmed in the higher class of service on the flight where the downgrade to the lower class of service occurs.

Again, in the OPs case, the passenger was never confirmed in the higher class of service on the flight the downgrade took place. Hence, the passenger is only due the difference in fare or miles or the upgrade instrument back. The EU passenger rights certainly don't grant any right to compensation if the passenger was never confirmed in F on the particular flight. The sole aspect of the EU passenger rights that would apply is the right for proper care (drinks, food, and hotel if applicable).
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by UA 882
Actually, during irregular ops the agent has authority to book into whatever class available...
On their own airline. Not on SQ. Just after the phagocytosis of LX into LH, LX had even trouble transferring me from an LH reservation to an LX misconnect.
..So, for example, evenif the pax is booked in O or I class, the agent can rebook into F or C class respectively when accommodating on OA..
No. Not that I ever heard of that.
Originally Posted by totti
Now that is turns out, we are talking about LX I'll move this thread to the LX subforum..
Off to LX limbo for this funny thread .

Oh wait .. the real limbo would be the OA forum, right .
Old Aug 4, 2008, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by weero

No. Not that I ever heard of that.
It occurs. In FEB08 BKK-VIE on OS was over-sold. We (two pax) in I class/M&M award tickets did VDB and were rebooked to TG to FRA in C classs - and even got miles...
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:05 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SK AAR
It occurs. In FEB08 BKK-VIE on OS was over-sold. We (two pax) in I class/M&M award tickets did VDB and were rebooked to TG to FRA in C classs - and even got miles...
Yes. It happened to me even LH to LH, but in error.

LH has no control over the award space SQ frees ... nor do the SQ employees. And that might have been the restriction the OP was facing.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SK AAR
That is because you were rebooked into what ever fare class was available on other flights. More often that not, they will have to rebook you in a mile earning fare class which is why you got miles. This is the only advantage to IDB or VDB situations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.