Search

Involuntary Downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 2:15 am

deleted

Last edited by tcswede; Aug 2, 2008 at 2:19 am Reason: Double post
Old Aug 2, 2008, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by UA 882
...because a ticket - even if miles were used - is still purchased (the currency is simply different).

I remember there were 2 passengers downgraded from FRA to CPT because the aircraft was swapped from a 3-cabin to a 2-cabin - they were on US Airways awards and received Euro 4'000 each.
And again we can assume that in this case it was on LH flights - which is NOT the case on the missed connetion in ZRH.

I am a bit curious why he / she accepted to fly in C on SQ - surely he / she must have noted that the replacement BP he / she got was for C - and even if the GA is stressed - one could always ask for a supervisor / second opinion and there ought to have been enough time to clearify - IIRC the LX flight leaves at night and SQ during the day - so apart from ample time one can safely assume that LX put him / her up for the night.

Cheers

Thomas

Cheers

Thomas
Old Aug 2, 2008, 2:40 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Now that is turns out, we are talking about LX I'll move this thread to the LX subforum.

Have a nice day

totti
M&M moderator
Old Aug 2, 2008, 2:51 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drleyes:
Originally Posted by tcswede
Cheers

Thomas

Cheers

Thomas
Who again?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
...because a ticket - even if miles were used - is still purchased (the currency is simply different).

I remember there were 2 passengers downgraded from FRA to CPT because the aircraft was swapped from a 3-cabin to a 2-cabin - they were on US Airways awards and received Euro 4'000 each.
Thats what I call a good deal

However, there might be SQ C miles showing up for the ZRH-SIN but even then it's only a 13K miles difference. I would contact LX or your respective mileage programm.

Not understanding though why the "passenger" didnt say something to the agent who managed the rebooking !?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
This is a completly different situation. The OP mis-connected due to extra-ordinary circumstances and accepted to fly SQ in biz. This is not a inv. downgrade, let alone warrants some kind of monetary comp. Refund of miles is all the OP can get.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SK AAR
This is a completly different situation. The OP mis-connected due to extra-ordinary circumstances and accepted to fly SQ in biz. This is not a inv. downgrade, let alone warrants some kind of monetary comp. Refund of miles is all the OP can get.
Well do we know if he accepted it ? He got a rebooking and maybe a printout, didnt look on the bp or new passenger reciept.

Yes, some of us where reroutings are business as usual we ALWAYS look out for mistakes like this to confront the agent directly. But once you are at the gate and suddenly recognize it's C instead F short before boarding it gets difficult to clear it up. The GA has tons to do and maybe the person who rebooked you isnt even on duty anymore in case there are questions.

It might have been the situation of "Fly or Stay".
Old Aug 2, 2008, 3:23 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
runabout, congratulations on finding a keyboard with a shift key at last .
has rambuster managed to send you one?
OMG! Now your keyboard is broken!
Old Aug 2, 2008, 7:45 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Correct - F was available on the flight. But nothing was said when the re-accommodation took place..
Are you sure about this?
As in my many recent SQ experiences, SQ is extremely clandestine about their F and C upgrade/award inventory. If IM doesn't clear those seats even during the DM, they will fly them empty, no matter how many (non PPS) are waitlisted for an ug.
So seeing empty seats in F is no indication that there 'was space'.

Now as annoying as that might have been for your friend (well after all SQ C is sumthin in between LX C and LX F), it will be more than tough to argue this case as an IDB. If they accepted the BP as is from the agent then it is at best a VDB and miles are the best they can hope for. If they were determined to fly F, they should not have accepted the BP - nothing easier than that.

May I also ask - if the transfer was that efficient .. how did the 12 hour delay come into existence?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weero
Are you sure about this?
As in my many recent SQ experiences, SQ is extremely clandestine about their F and C upgrade/award inventory. If IM doesn't clear those seats even during the DM, they will fly them empty, no matter how many (non PPS) are waitlisted for an ug.
So seeing empty seats in F is no indication that there 'was space'.

Now as annoying as that might have been for your friend (well after all SQ C is sumthin in between LX C and LX F), it will be more than tough to argue this case as an IDB. If they accepted the BP as is from the agent then it is at best a VDB and miles are the best they can hope for. If they were determined to fly F, they should not have accepted the BP - nothing easier than that.
Maybe there wasnt "F" award inventory but as long as the compartment is available the pax should be booked in it if he has a valid ticket.

Agree about acceptance of the bp, but again the pax could be not experienced or not obsessed (as we are) and dont recognize the difference. He might have gotten a yellow LH bp, then he gets a Swiss one which is white. Yes, theres C,F,Y printed on them but not everyone knows what that means.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:14 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
If you were in SQ C on the 77w, it's pretty decent, I hear!
Old Aug 2, 2008, 5:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weero
Are you sure about this?
Actually, during irregular ops the agent has authority to book into whatever class available. So, for example, even if the pax is booked in O or I class, the agent can rebook into F or C class respectively when accommodating on OA.

May I also ask - if the transfer was that efficient .. how did the 12 hour delay come into existence?
The flight that was misconnected was the night LX flight. SQ has two day flights (one at 12pm, one at 10pm).
Old Aug 3, 2008, 1:17 am

Programs: LH
Did LX take over SQ?
Good to know, so finally, M&M can book awards in C and F (suite).
Old Aug 3, 2008, 2:34 am

Actually, during irregular ops the agent has authority to book into whatever class available. So, for example, even if the pax is booked in O or I class, the agent can rebook into F or C class respectively when accommodating on OA.
Actually I beg to differ - the agent can of course book you any way he pleases but that does not neccesitate the OA to use your wording - to accept the booking.
Point in case - in march I had a booking in C MSP - JFK NW and then onto AZ to MXP - weather issues in NY delayed the NW flight - so NW rebooked us through ORD onto LX to ZRH - the agent booked us into F for the leg on NW to ORD and then continued in F on LX.
In ORD when wanting to get the BP for the ride to ZRH we got an earfull about that we were booked in C orginally and demanded to know why we werre now booked in F - and how we had tricked NW to do this rebooking. We should now that we only deserved to travel in the class we had booked and so forth and we whould not expect anything else now...as LX would not get paid from NW for F. A very lovel situation - told the station head of LX I could not care less...Maybe NW wanted to do us well as we cut a 3 day trip short as our suitcase was lost and that contained samples that I was prevented from hand carrying and thus made the whole trip a waste...
I told him that I found it facinating that an airline / alliance treated me very freindly - but when coming to use my "home" alliances I am treated as a criminal / idiot.

Different scenario - as up instead of downgrade - but sometimes it requires some persistancy on behalf of the pax and not simply taking it as it comes and then say the airline is at fault - not meant as a personal offence - but in irr opps situations often are a tad difficult.

Cheers

Thomas
Old Aug 3, 2008, 5:19 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Let me add to what Thomas has said:

It is also a major difference whether you paid for the respective class of service, used miles for the entire ticket, or upgraded through some upgrade instrument.

If you paid for the ticket in the respective class of service, then the airline is under every obligation based on their contract of carriage to re-route you. With some airlines, this includes the use of other airlines, with some, it is put at the airline's discretion (unless local laws/regulations exist overriding the airline's contract of carriage). A prime example would be a DL ticket - their CoC puts it at the agent's discretion to reroute you on OAL or not.

If you used miles for the entire ticket, then the rules of the respective frequent flier program apply for rerouting (unless local laws/regulations exist overriding these terms & conditions you agreed to by using your miles). A prime example would be the use of UA mileage, where the rules stipulate that any rebooking must only be done with Star Alliance partners.

If you upgraded your ticket, the terms & conditions of the upgrade instrument used apply. Most airlines do have a wording in the upgrade instrument's terms & conditions that the upgrade is subject to cancellation in the event of irregular operations, limiting the airline's obligation to furnish transportation in the purchased class of service, especially if rerouted on OAL.

As for compensation, the passenger is always due the difference between the class of service booked and the class of service flown.

If the ticket was paid for with cash, the passenger is due the difference in fares.

If the ticket was paid for with miles, the passenger is due the difference in miles.

If the ticket was upgraded, the passenger is due to get the upgrade instrument back that was used for the upgrade.

If the downgrade results because of overbooking, the airline might solicit volunteers for compensation of their choosing (with LH from my perspective offering a very fair amount for F->C or C->Y downgrades), or might have to pay compensation based on applicable local laws/regulations (i.e. the EU passenger rights).

Back to the OP - if you never actually held confirmed space in the higher class of service on the flight you've flown on (because you misconnected and were rebooked then), you are solely due the difference in fare or the upgrade instrument back as applicable.

Any additional compensation is a gesture of goodwill, not a right and will most likely be based on the original service failure causing the misconnect. If the original cause was beyond the airline's control (i.e. weather), do not expect any additional compensation at all.

On a side note: while airlines like LH or LX usually honor confirmed upgrades on their own metal, even if O class is not available anymore but F class is, there are other airlines that are much worse when it comes to this. UA for example will not honor your upgrade anymore even if the reason for the IROP is within their control (i.e. mechanical) - unless the applicable NC or NF upgrade inventory is still available. And being re-routed in the upgraded class of service on OAL with United won't be in the upgraded class of service 99,9% of the time.

Last edited by rcs85551; Aug 3, 2008 at 5:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.