Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWISS back to T4 in JFK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by blue-sky
regarding JFK: I doubt that the the can reduce substantial delay with this movement. The main problem with the departure slots will remain. But i would be happy not to hear "we are currently number 38 for take off".
Actually T4 will be substantially better than T1 for LX primarily because of ramp space. The cramped T1 ramp is so crowded during the peak afternoon hours that LX14 often has to wait for various aircraft to taxi in and out before it can get to its gate - often even when LX14 arrives on time, it can take up to 30-60 minutes for the flight to finally get to its gate.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 3:22 pm

New SWISS lounge in JFK T4?

Originally Posted by LXA350
SWISS had a great lounge in T4 with good food and a lot of space.
Indeed. When they moved to T1, it was (eventually) reincarnated as "The Lounge", unaffiliated with any airline. It's still a great stop-off with awesome views, complementary meals by request, and a fully stocked bar.

Remnants of the original SWISS affiliation remain with the European-style doors in the restrooms. It's not up to the SWISS standards anymore, though ... the walls have been painted purple and the furnishings are starting to look shabby.

Originally Posted by spirit of swiss
passengers will be able to relax in a newly built and designed SWISS Lounge in Terminal 4
This suggests that there's something in the works that has nothing to do with their former lounge. I haven't heard that "The Lounge" is closing for renovations, either. Maybe SWISS is renovating the former Varig lounge next door? As of June 2007, it looked unoccupied, although I haven't been back since.

The old Varig space is smaller than their previous lounge but is probably big enough for LX and the *A passengers that would use it (SQ business still can't use the Virgin Clubhouse?)

Last edited by AirBuffalo; Nov 29, 2007 at 3:48 am Reason: grammar & a typo
Old Dec 1, 2007, 4:34 pm

Does anyone find it odd that T4 doesn't have a STAR Lounge? With LO, LX, OZ, SA, SQ, and TG all operating from T4, I would think it would be a good candidate for a STAR lounge. I also wonder why STAR hasn't tried to "move under one roof" at JFK.

JFK has AC, NH, OZ, OS, LO, LH, SQ, SQ, LX, TG, UA, and US spread across three terminals. I wonder if this is something that STAR is looking into.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by AirBuffalo
Maybe SWISS is renovating the former Varig lounge next door?
Looks like the former Varig space is now the recently-opened El Al lounge. The following terminal map shows an unassigned space between KLM and Virgin lounges. I wonder if that will be a new SWISS spot?

http://www.jfkiat.com/loungemap.html

Originally Posted by LGA_UAL
I also wonder why STAR hasn't tried to "move under one roof" at JFK.
Interesting thought. There's not a whole lot of feeder traffic domestically from JFK by UA or US, except to their respective hubs which can generally be reached from Europe or Asia without stopping at JFK. Therefore, there maybe not be much motivation to consolidate beyond lounge sharing (which is cool, but ....)

It would be an interesting experiment if all the *A airlines shared check-in, departure gates, and staff, but other than an *A-branded lounge in ZRH, i've not heard of such overarching collaboration among allance members. That kind of stuff has to be seriously bogged down in individual carrier's labor agreements, not to mention the airport powers-that-be.

on that note, i wonder if JFK has the most *A flights & airlines of any non-*A hub airport? Competition would probably be CDG or LHR (unless you count bmi's 'hub').

Brian
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:33 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Starting December 20, 2007 LX will move to T4 at JFK

In the news on board LX today, I noticed the announcement about the moving to T4 at JFK starting December 20. As far as I remember, LX will have a new First and Business Lounge. And LX agrees to move to T4 to ease the congestion at T1.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:52 am

Programs: *A
haven't they moved to T1 not too long ago

anyhow, I welcome this step, always preferred their own lounges etc...
Old Dec 17, 2007, 4:25 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by sebastian746
haven't they moved to T1 not too long ago

anyhow, I welcome this step, always preferred their own lounges etc...
I took LX from JFK last July and August, and yes, it was from T1.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Gigantor
Wrong again, Junior! FTL could not use the LH lounge in T1. We were only welcome at the AZ lounge.
It makes no sense to use a lounge in another terminal at JFK.
i had the same experience in summer 07, lounge warden at LH did not let me in- but they are notorious to do anyway what they want there - never got access to the SEN area with my *G, although I am quite sure JFK is not one of those SEN but not *G lounges. since warden can always use the "overcrowded" excuse, I never argued too much... FTL section was good enough for me...

back on topic.
I am not sure what the rules say about FTL on LX access to the LH lounge when there is no more alternative provided by LX. Don't FTLs have access to a FTL lounge when on a *A flight

oh, and I think it is very easy to use a lounge in another terminal at JFK (if before security) - Skytrain makes it very easy...^
Old Dec 18, 2007, 4:33 am

Programs: LX Sen, EK Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Sirius Gold, BA Gold
Flying back from T1 last Thursday, we had 1.5 hours delay due to having to maneuver to let other planes get by for deicing ... Flying there Saturday and look forward to T4
Old Dec 22, 2007, 5:24 pm

Does anyone know when the new lounge will open? Travelling on LX in february.

thanks
goodo
Old Dec 24, 2007, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by goodo
Does anyone know when the new lounge will open? Travelling on LX in february.
thanks
goodo
and a few posts earlier...:

Originally Posted by CGK
In the news on board LX today, I noticed the announcement about the moving to T4 at JFK starting December 20. As far as I remember, LX will have a new First and Business Lounge.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 4:33 am

Was their last night, it's actually exactly the same lounge as previously. Well stocked with preflight food and drinks. Left for 1st class and HONs, right for SENs and Business Class. The old smoking room is now a "quiet room".

Getting out of the gate was quick, but then we were number 29 for takeoff but that's JFK

Anyhow much better that T1 ^

Andre
Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by asimha
Was their last night, it's actually exactly the same lounge as previously. Well stocked with preflight food and drinks. Left for 1st class and HONs, right for SENs and Business Class. The old smoking room is now a "quiet room".

Getting out of the gate was quick, but then we were number 29 for takeoff but that's JFK

Anyhow much better that T1 ^

Andre
Sounds like SWISS is just using "The Lounge" which is shared by many, many airlines at T4, or is it rebranded the SWISS lounge? It would be a dissapointment if SWISS were simply using "The Lounge" as it is titled as it is in some need of a refresh and can be crowded.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:43 am

No it's a dedicated lounge exactly as and where it used to be a few years back!
André
Old Jan 8, 2008, 3:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold
hello,

as FTL I everytime have access to the LH Business Lounge in JFK T1 (with LH Y Ticket).

As FTL you're entitled to use all LH Business Lounges and FTL lounges with an valid Boarding Pass of the day.
In the JFK LH lounge all LX flights were announced, so it seems like, LX passangers use this lounge.

But the LH lounge will be rebuild in spring 2008, then the entrance will be behind the security.

Best regards,

taigatrommel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.