SWISS back to T4 in JFK

Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Swiss HON, Emirates Skywards Gold
SWISS back to T4 in JFK

On December 20, SWISS will take residence in Terminal 4 at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport. SWISS has agreed with the operators of Terminal 1, its present home, that it will move to Terminal 4 in an effort to improve the particular situation for SWISS, and help ease traffic congestion at one of the world’s busiest airports.

The decision to move from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 was prompted by the steep increase in air traffic levels at JFK Airport in the last 12 months. The higher movement volumes have led to more delays for all carriers in handling and dispatching flights.

As a result, SWISS has seen an increase in arrival and departure delays – some of them substantial – over the past few months. So to improve the situation for all concerned, a move to Terminal 4 for SWISS was agreed upon with the operators of Terminal 1.

“We are making this move in the interests of everyone concerned, but especially of our customers”, says SWISS Chief Operating Officer Gaudenz Ambühl. “By doing so, we should see improvements in both our punctuality and the quality of our ground services. And Terminal 4 also offers us greater scope and flexibility to accommodate any future developments”, Ambühl adds.

SWISS First and SWISS Business, and Miles & More Senator passengers will be able to relax in a newly built and designed SWISS Lounge in Terminal 4. The new facility will offer comfortable private work spaces and public areas amidst a relaxing environment.

SWISS First customers travelling without baggage will be able to obtain their boarding card in the SWISS Lounge. Terminal 4 also offers a separate security checkpoint for SWISS Business and SWISS First travellers.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:27 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Not liking this at all. Still a full meal service for F/HON in the Lounge?
Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:57 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Liking this a lot - T4 ops were always smooth when I was there. T1 was very bad with LH lounges always packed to the brims and long wait at security.

I wonder though if they will go back to the old SWISS lounge (possibly refurbished) or occupy lounge space somewhere else?

Also, this is an example of the chaotic "one step left, one step right" management so prominent in the early days of Swiss. Hopefully this doesn't return...
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
No FT Lounge in T4!
Old Nov 20, 2007, 1:56 pm

Programs: LH SENATOR
There was mentioned about a lounge for FTL members, but they have a right for lounge access. Well in the old days, well not so old till march 2007 SWISS had a great lounge in T4 with good food and a lot of space. This lounge is now shared by various airlines so I doubt they go back there. Any details on the lounge and the facilities to be offered there, regarding food, internet etc? I still couldn't understand why LX moved to T1, it's not like LX was using LH check in staff only thing they could save on was the lounge but that's it.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:19 pm

Programs: LH MM
the old swiss lounge was fantastic. it had everything: decent food, space and free internet! the latter being a huuuuuuge plus.

of course i will be flying to JFK on the 19th. so looking forward to some more substantial delays. if only that is eliminated it would already be a big plus as it is absolutely unbearable.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by Gigantor
No FT Lounge in T4!
You can still use the LH lounge in T1... Lounge is before security. Not the best option though, I know.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 3:56 pm

Programs: LH SENATOR
But doesn't make sense. There MUST be lounge access for FTL members in T4
Old Nov 20, 2007, 4:29 pm

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
You can still use the LH lounge in T1... Lounge is before security. Not the best option though, I know.
Wrong again, Junior! FTL could not use the LH lounge in T1. We were only welcome at the AZ lounge.

It makes no sense to use a lounge in another terminal at JFK.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:38 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by Gigantor
Wrong again, Junior! FTL could not use the LH lounge in T1. We were only welcome at the AZ lounge.

It makes no sense to use a lounge in another terminal at JFK.
Ooops sorry. My bad.
So JFK is one of the rare exceptions where FTLs are not entitled to use LH biz lounges. .
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:09 pm

Ooops sorry. My bad.
So JFK is one of the rare exceptions where FTLs are not entitled to use LH biz lounges. .
FTL's do not have access to lounges in the TBIT in LAX, too (unless they travel in C or F).

regarding JFK: I doubt that the the can reduce substantial delay with this movement. The main problem with the departure slots will remain. But i would be happy not to hear "we are currently number 38 for take off".
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by LXA350
But doesn't make sense. There MUST be lounge access for FTL members in T4
Why must there? FTL are only *S so lounge access is a perk where offered not a right.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:52 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Well, it was always my understanding that FTLs only had access to a few select FTL lounges - not business lounges in general. It is mainly in Germany that Business lounges are also branded FTL lounges, no?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 4:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by airoli
Well, it was always my understanding that FTLs only had access to a few select FTL lounges - not business lounges in general. It is mainly in Germany that Business lounges are also branded FTL lounges, no?
No, it's the opposite. FTL has access to all Business and FTL lounges. Business Class does not have access to FTL lounges. There are not many FTL lounges though (just two I think).
Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Plat - (1MM)
Yes Swiss will go back to the lounge they had when there were in T4. They begin working on it Dec 1st. - Not sure what kind of work they will be doing.

As for a reduction of delays - T1 only has one taxilane in and out. It is not uncommon to see aircraft waiting to get into or out of the T1 property. T4 has 4 one if which is shared with Delta. It will be easier to get into and out of the gates which will help reduce taxi time. The faster you can get into the line, the faster you can get off the ground.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.