Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LX considers dropping BKK-SIN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
SIN -BKK fares are very low to compete with all the other carriers flying the route.

LX fares are as low as US$90 return.

It would be nice though if LX would offer nonstop ZRH-SIN as SR did once upon a time ago.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 8:11 am

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
It would be nice though if LX would offer nonstop ZRH-SIN as SR did once upon a time ago.
Many things would be nice to have, but still they don't make money.
ZRH-SFO is one.
ZRH-SIN is another.
Remember that ZRH-SFO was one of the last additional routes to be added and one of the first to be cancelled again by Swissair?
As nice as SFO is, it appeals to tourists mostly and even Bill Gates only flies economy.
ZRH-SIN will not be easy to make money, as long as SQ is keeping the daily 747 on the route.
To be competitive for business travel, LX would have to add a daily ZRH-SIN and I bet that this creates one big loss.

Was there ever any mention where ZRH-BKK would be extended? Just a BKK tournaround gives either a long layover of the plane in BKK or an odd schedule with a day-return. While I liked the day-return, I think nobody else did and all those flights dropped out rather quickly too.
Thanks to night ban in ZRH, can't leave ZRH much later than now, can't return from BKK much earlier than now.

The good thing about the currently poorly used SIN-ZRH is that the plane's usually coming back to BKK from SIN on time and you still have a chance to stow your hand-luggage. (which I'm afraid would not be the case for every other destination...)
Old Aug 28, 2005, 12:07 pm

Programs: Miles & More Senator, CX Marco Polo Club, SQ Krisflyer
I always thought pax volumes between BKK and SIN would be quite healthy given the frequency of TG/SQ flights and the numerous other carriers originating from Europe (SK,TK,AY, IA).

If LX do get rid of the BKK-SIN leg I bet the next one to go will be MCT-DXB which I took recently and has only 5 C class boarding at Muscat. A hot pastry was offered for the 50 minute flight whereas Emirates give a full dinner with wine and menu card - Y pax got nothing. Alas with LH integration on the horizon I think code-sharing will be more common and more unnecessary extensions/destinations will be dropped.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Any news confirming, or a date?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.