Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot Announcement standing up upfront

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2024, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Pilot Announcement standing up upfront

Dear FTers...
Just wondering if this is new, or has been like this already, or perhaps was a one-off (although it happened twice)?

I flew ZRH-AGP and AGP-ZRH last week on dif. days, and, on both flights after boarding was completed the pilot come out of the cockpit and did his pre flight announcement standing up in the galley/center aisle. Was nice, but, "weird" to see him do that instead of the usual "from the cockpit" announcements...

Just wondering? new? (or I have not been flying much,...)

RedRobin
Old Apr 30, 2024, 8:07 am

It happens sometimes, but not often. I think it's at the discretion of the captain.
RedRobin likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 9:29 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
It's not new at all, pilots do it at their discretion. And I like it. Have also seen this on other airlines on occasion.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 9:55 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
iME this happens almost exclusively on LX not on other LHG airlines.

Mostly when they have to announce a delay that is someone elses fault such as ATC restrictions, bad weather, lack of bagage loaders, waiting for delayed transfer pax or need for bagage unloading but never had them announce in person a delay due to late arrival of the incoming aircraft.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
It does happen, Pilots with a lot of personality
RedRobin, HKG1111 and MichielR like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 12:34 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
happened to me a week ago on a ZRH-BEG flight. The flight was a bit delayed but nothing really bad. I find it nice to see the face of the captain or first officer actually.
chris63 and RedRobin like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 12:40 am

Had a captain explain that our A321 went tech and needed to be swapped. He gave an accurate account of the delay and welcomed everybody back on board of the new plane.
Koby, chris63 and RedRobin like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 4:37 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Have seen this only on LX.
RedRobin and andrewingeneva like this.
Old May 6, 2024, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichielR
never had them announce in person a delay due to late arrival of the incoming aircraft.
Its funny you mention this, because on the return flight, this is exactly what he did. He said we were delayed because of the late arrival of the incoming aircraft, but, went on to say that this was also caused by the delay of the previous flight getting in there.

As mentioned in the comments, I also liked seeing them come out and speak and see their face and personality. Def. breaks the "normal experience"...
MichielR likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:30 am

Programs: LH SENATOR
It's a very nice gesture and does occur I would say at least on 50% of the flights operated by the single Isle planes.
andrewingeneva likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 10:08 am

Programs: LXFF
I've rarely seen this, but yeah t happens.
chris63 likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 11:56 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
I have seen announcements by a captain standing in the front galley several times on US airlines, mainly to announce something like "it's a special flight today, as I am going to retire after this" or similar occasions.
chris63 likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 4:01 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
I had this four times during last week: one on a morning GVA-PRN flight (to welcome), one on ATH-ZRH flight (to inform about the delay) and two times on ZRH-GVA-ZRH (to welcome and then to inform about the delay).
Old May 12, 2024, 1:09 am

Programs: LH HON, PC RA
If I was a pilot, I would do it all the time.

Little stage and two minutes of spotlight.
Tell a joke and blink at people.

Better than sitting all day cramped in the cockpit.
chris63 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Senator; AF Platinum
They always do a walk-about in F, too. Very nice touch and much appreciated by all customers.

i was once on a flight where a problem with thrust for one engine prevented us reaching cruising altitude. Pilot came around and explained what was happening to each individual passenger. Certainly changed your appreciation for the situation, seriousness and how hard they’d worked to find the best solution,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.