I'm done complaining about Swiss - it is time to outright ridicule them ...

Old Jun 3, 22, 10:31 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 4
I'm done complaining about Swiss - it is time to outright ridicule them ...

Business class round trip for two - total airfare $11k. FULL FARE - NON AWARD.

When we booked the tickets at swiss.com we were taken through a very clear user interface for choosing our specific seats on the outbound and return flights - confirmed seat choices, etc. - NO CONFUSION.

Now fast forward to t-minus one week to takeoff and those choices are all gone. They have no record of our seat choices.

Further, because our return flight is on a (swiss booked) United flight, nobody will let us choose a seat:

- Swiss says, call United - they assign your seats
- United says, we can't assign seats - this is a swiss booked flight

... but let's remember, we *ALREADY* chose seats for this flight, on that plane, operated by United, clearly chosen and NO CONFUSION.

Unbelievable.
rford is offline  
Old Jun 3, 22, 11:47 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by rford View Post

... but let's remember, we *ALREADY* chose seats for this flight, on that plane, operated by United, clearly chosen and NO CONFUSION.

Unbelievable.
If the flight is on United metal, you should be able to download the United app, add the trip (my united > trips > find my trip) and select your seats *again, but for real this time*.

United’s app is uniquely excellent for self-managing flights/travel on their planes.
nexus7556 likes this.
random.parts is offline  
Old Jun 4, 22, 1:12 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 6,386
Booking codeshare flights is often fraught with issues such as this add to that LH groups lamentable IT
chris63 is offline  
Old Jun 4, 22, 4:28 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BOM-SIN-EWR
Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Posts: 8,319
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
Booking codeshare flights is often fraught with issues such as this add to that LH groups lamentable IT
United is not that great either - but their app is actually the best airline one around - and they keep improving it...

United with LH codeshares can be very very difficult - I can attest to this!
chris63 likes this.
SuperFlyBoy is offline  
Old Jun 4, 22, 7:59 am
  #5  
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zulu Romeo Hotel
Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Posts: 3,564
Nothing to do with „Swiss“ or „bad experience“, you should ALWAYS book seats with the operating carrier to have stuff under control.
weero, fifty_two, athome and 1 others like this.
59Impala is offline  
Old Jun 4, 22, 9:48 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta Metro
Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Diamond
Posts: 1,930
Originally Posted by 59Impala View Post
Nothing to do with „Swiss“ or „bad experience“, you should ALWAYS book seats with the operating carrier to have stuff under control.
The OP did that. Only the return flight is on UA, as I read the description.

I will say that my personal (limited) experience with UA is that they feel seat assignments are just a suggestion. I've had seats changed and dropped with them at a far higher rate than any other airline. YMMV.
hotturnip is offline  
Old Jun 4, 22, 12:29 pm
  #7  
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zulu Romeo Hotel
Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Posts: 3,564
Originally Posted by hotturnip View Post
The OP did that. Only the return flight is on UA, as I read the description.

I will say that my personal (limited) experience with UA is that they feel seat assignments are just a suggestion. I've had seats changed and dropped with them at a far higher rate than any other airline. YMMV.

Even more… the title is completely wrong. OP should not „outright ridicule Swiss“, OP should blame UA not LX
athome likes this.
59Impala is offline  
Old Jun 4, 22, 3:40 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington,DC
Posts: 1,665
WOW - I'll have to try Swiss. If Full Fare Business is only $5,500 round trip that's an amazing price
cfischer and airoli like this.
SteveinA2 is offline  
Old Jun 4, 22, 3:58 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: OSL/IAH/ZRH (time, not preference)
Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Posts: 37,936
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
United is not that great either - but their app is actually the best airline one around - and they keep improving it...
They improve it for their own penny-pinching operations, so they can charge your for ever more ridiculous things.

The last year, the UA app got so much worse for the customers who use it and cross-functionality to the LX and LH platforms suffered a lot.

I booked two UA TATLs this year which used LH and LX feeders and it was a condensed nightmare.

Originally Posted by rford View Post
..- Swiss says, call United - they assign your seats
- United says, we can't assign seats - this is a swiss booked flight..
Thanks to UA's continuous upgrades (known as enhancements to LH/LX folks), their systems are now completely incompatible.

You should be able to tell who is at fault - was it booked as an LX or a UA flight number (i.e. as a codeshare)? I'd almost bet that this was UA's fault.
weero is offline  
Old Jun 4, 22, 4:31 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 27,711
Originally Posted by weero View Post

Thanks to UA's continuous upgrades (known as enhancements to LH/LX folks), their systems are now completely incompatible.

You should be able to tell who is at fault - was it booked as an LX or a UA flight number (i.e. as a codeshare)? I'd almost bet that this was UA's fault.
I have a 220 LH ticket with BOS-LHR as an LH flight number. Absolutely zero issues assigning seats on united.com
athome likes this.
cfischer is online now  
Old Jun 4, 22, 4:35 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: OSL/IAH/ZRH (time, not preference)
Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Posts: 37,936
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
I have a 220 LH ticket with BOS-LHR as an LH flight number. Absolutely zero issues assigning seats on united.com
Upon booking or in the app?
weero is offline  
Old Jun 5, 22, 8:02 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 27,711
Originally Posted by weero View Post
Upon booking or in the app?
all of the above. Was able to select upon booking, was able to change on the web and the app. No issue whatsoever.
cfischer is online now  
Old Jun 5, 22, 9:19 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Posts: 2,261
Question cheap

Originally Posted by SteveinA2 View Post
WOW - I'll have to try Swiss. If Full Fare Business is only $5,500 round trip that's an amazing price
This is outrageously expensive for ONE passenger even the US being a captive market of high spenders. As a comparison I bought recently a partner special for TWO people in booking class A (first) from Italy to South America and back for the same amount (in EUR tough).

This said, all these people moaning and complaining about LH group airlines, just try competitors, perhaps a nice US legacy carrier or a ME airline where work conditions and human/women/gay/other minority rights are what we know.

A good idea would also be to buy tickets on 724 or 220 ticket stock, never had a problem.
behuman is online now  
Old Jun 5, 22, 11:21 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Programs: LXFF
Posts: 354
Had a similar situation with a YUL-VIE paid Pair of C tickets. There was a slight schedule change by a few minutes and the seat assignments had to be redone. No warning of this, just happen to check it out my self. Booked though AC for the OS flight. Only reason I booked through AC is that I also have another pair of aéroplan award tickets for the same flight.
ced_lx is offline  
Old Jun 5, 22, 3:03 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: OSL/IAH/ZRH (time, not preference)
Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Posts: 37,936
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
all of the above. Was able to select upon booking, was able to change on the web and the app. No issue whatsoever.
Lovely.

From my this year experience since January:

UA app "offering" the check in of an LX flight booked through the UA app:


The same flight on SWISS.com ::




an earlier segment on LX (booed via united.com) upon airport check -in with UA:


Smooth and brilliant IT integration .
weero is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread