Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time on Swiss. Seat selection and blocked seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

First time on Swiss. Seat selection and blocked seats?

Hello,
I am planning a trip, LAX > ZRH, for later this year. This is our first time flying Swiss, booking for 3 in First. All of the seat selection pages show the same 3 of 8 seats in first blocked. This for every flight, not the result of the seats being occupied. I assume that A1 and K1 are blocked until x days before departure, and I am assuming that G2 is blocked due to it being a bassinet seat (just my guess). Can anyone tell me how far in advance those become bookable? I was not expecting 3/8 to be blocked in 2 different rows. Not the worst thing, but I was hoping we could sit 3 across in a row, which is not possible now.
Thanks very much.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Travlur
Hello,
I am planning a trip, LAX > ZRH, for later this year. This is our first time flying Swiss, booking for 3 in First. All of the seat selection pages show the same 3 of 8 seats in first blocked. This for every flight, not the result of the seats being occupied. I assume that A1 and K1 are blocked until x days before departure, and I am assuming that G2 is blocked due to it being a bassinet seat (just my guess). Can anyone tell me how far in advance those become bookable? I was not expecting 3/8 to be blocked in 2 different rows. Not the worst thing, but I was hoping we could sit 3 across in a row, which is not possible now.
Thanks very much.
You should call the LH First Class hotline and ask them for seat assignments. Their access to seats is often, but not always, different from what you see online (especially far in advance). The real desk is open until late evening European time so you may still catch them today or otherwise tomorrow.
Travlur likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 1:52 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Yes, just call. I have booked 2 F seats ZRH-ORD and we are the only 2 booked so far. I booked over the phone and agent offered both middle seats 1DG or 2DG to us, even though 1G is blocked out.
Travlur likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: LH HON
Since a few month always the seats 1A and 1K are blocked. By calling the LX HON line they can override it without problems. But this seats are not available for online seat reservation. I was told because these are bassinet seats. Maybe, but in the past these seats were always available for booking online.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:36 pm

You only have to be aware that you will be reseated if someone actually books with an Infant, therefore requiring the bassinet seat.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 12:15 am
formerly a193991

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by daumueller
You only have to be aware that you will be reseated if someone actually books with an Infant, therefore requiring the bassinet seat.
I doubt they would really do this in F, maybe depending on the fare actually paid. Evoucher upgrade, miles maybe yes, but full fare F probably not.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
I doubt they would really do this in F, maybe depending on the fare actually paid. Evoucher upgrade, miles maybe yes, but full fare F probably not.
They are facility seats - in the (rare) case of an infant in F, those take priority, no matter whos seated there
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 1:39 am

As a non-HON, I was not able to reserve 1K (which is the only non-occupied window seat on my flight) by calling the LH F hotline. I've already set up an Expertflyer alert for the other three, so hopefully one will open up in advance.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 4:25 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by stargold
As a non-HON, I was not able to reserve 1K (which is the only non-occupied window seat on my flight) by calling the LH F hotline. I've already set up an Expertflyer alert for the other three, so hopefully one will open up in advance.
Was the reason given for not being able to reserve it that you aren't HON?
I've never had this problem and I'm a lowly *G... I was always able to get blocked seat by request until now.
Did they really start making F seats blocked based on status? That would be insane imho...

What flight are you looking at if I may ask?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 5:16 am

I was told that it's because 1K is a bassinet seat, and it will only be available at check-in. I countered by saying that I've been able to assign the seat in the past, on an explicit understanding that I will be moved if an infant needs the seat. However, the agent replied that they had a lot of issues when people were moved from their seat, so they're not doing it anymore.

It's not 100% true that they stopped assigning 1A/K altogether because 1A is already showing as occupied, but not clear where the threshold for the override is (if there is even one). I might try again in a couple of weeks.

Flight is ZRH-DXB, booked in A.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:09 am
formerly a193991

Originally Posted by daumueller
They are facility seats - in the (rare) case of an infant in F, those take priority, no matter who’s seated there
The airline I worked for would not do that. In Y and C yes, but not in F on full fare.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by stargold
It's not 100% true that they stopped assigning 1A/K altogether because 1A is already showing as occupied, but not clear where the threshold for the override is (if there is even one). I might try again in a couple of weeks.

Flight is ZRH-DXB, booked in A.
Somewhat frustratingly, I see that 1K is now showing as occupied on EF... this is already rubbing me up the wrong way even before the trip has started.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.