Wiki Posts
Search

Is Swiss still withholding EC 261 payments

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1 thousand
Is Swiss still withholding EC 261 payments

Is Swiss still shirking on their legal obligations under EC261? A while back, there were media reports of Swiss stopping all payouts, have they resumed yet?

I'm still waiting for a compensation claim in early 2020 (flight the year before). Swiss accepted my claim as valid, and even told me they were initiating the bank transfer (via automatic email), but it never arrived. Same thing happened to a fellow passenger (each passenger has to claim individually), so it looks like a systematic issue rather than a screwup when supplying the bank account details.

I've tried contacting them a few times since then, no replies yet (even to snail mail to their head office - maybe I should try registered mail next time).
Old Mar 26, 2021, 3:01 pm

I cancelled due to INVOL 2x differents flights on F for LHR-SIN return, both LX flights. Booked in February (2021), cancelled in March (2021). Money was within 7 days back on my CC.

It's not related to EC261, but that refund was very quick - you should contact them again I would say
Old Mar 26, 2021, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What was the routing, where are you located & where is your credit card issuer (bank) located?
Old Mar 26, 2021, 4:20 pm

------
Old Mar 26, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
LX is notorious to ignore EC 261 compensations.
Had during the last 4 year 2 flights in LH group with long delays of several hours. OS offered hotel, food and a compensation; LX nothing...After some useless conversation I escalated the case to a claim portal...got many mails at the beginning but never a cent (flight was in 2018) and do not expect anything anymore...
Old Mar 27, 2021, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Important to remember that Switzerland has chosen to adopt EC 261/2004 even though it is not a Member State. It is not bound by ECJ precedent and thus the Regulation is enforced by Swiss courts largely as written, not as interpreted. On the other hand, for a departure from the EU, the Regulation as interpreted applies, as it does to all carriers departing the EU.

Without specifics, it is hard to tell. But, LX may well be abiding by the Regulation as it is required to by Swiss courts.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 10:18 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
Without specifics, it is hard to tell. But, LX may well be abiding by the Regulation as it is required to by Swiss courts.
but in reality they try not... I have heard from many passengers, whose claim were ignored...
Old Mar 28, 2021, 4:59 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
The Swiss interpretation of EU261 is very confusing and complicated and different to the EU one and it very much depends on the circumstances in each scenario what and how it is applied. I don't think it is possible to generalise like that.
We'd have to look at each case specifically to make a judgement.

In my experience when by the correct usage and interpretation of EU261 you push them enough they will eventually pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.