Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid19: Swiss refunds after cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Starcloud
Swiss will not be processing refunds for months it seems. Nothing is being processed for the time being. Just received the following:

Dear xx your reservation has been left open, therefore, you will need to advise us a confirm date of travel by the 31st August, 2020 and the new date of travel should be within 31st December, 2020. However, if you wish to get a refund for the ticket purchased, you will need to also advise us before the 31st August, 2020 but we cannot guarantee a time frame as to when we can process the refund, therefore, we ask for your understanding that in this current situation, we are unable to process any kind of refund on any channel. Therefore, it will take longer for the refund amount to be reflected back in the original form of payment than expected.
Out of curiousity: What channel of communication did you use to get a written response on this matter?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I had the same response and it was via Twitter.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by northernstar84
As I checked some reservations I saw the normal flight plan comes back only on the 4th of May (I searched ZRH-OSL and ZRH-MAD , no flights before 04.May). Before was 19th April.
Yes, it looks like most flights are cancelled or zero’d out in the GDS until then.

However I’d be very surprised if they suddenly decided to start up with a full service from then. I’m guessing that around two weeks before then we’ll start to see most of the flying programme cancelled for May too, albeit perhaps with a few extra flight re-instated.

Lockdowns may not be in force across Europe quite as much as they are now, but I can’t see many people (either business or leisure) suddenly wanting to travel again. I think corporate travel bans in particular may take a while to get lifted in order to reduce organisational liabilities.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:46 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
I dont think anyone is keen to let any Swiss citizens/residents in with their particularly high infection and death rate - only today a LX award thru SQ Krisflyer had cancelled flights 4 May TLV-ZRH, ZRH-MXP 5 Mayand 4 montsh t oget a reund of fees/taxes from SQ
Still a MXP-ZRH flight scheduled on 5 May on a paid ticket -Lx are still flying? want this CXLD ASAP - LH group just wants to keep our money as long as possible - and let us not forget LX is Swiss nur in Name/ in name only Dont forget guys you can do Amex chargeback -Amex -why leave home without it!!
Old Apr 3, 2020, 4:00 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by cbourl
I dont think anyone is keen to let any Swiss citizens/residents in with their particularly high infection and death rate possible - and let us not forget LX is Swiss nur in Name/ in name only Dont forget guys you can do Amex chargeback -Amex -why leave home without it!!
What a strange post ! Did you get some frustrations with Swiss ? Sorry for that, but death rate as per https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6 Italy: 12.07 %, France 8.9%, Switzerland 2.8 %, but again this means nothing but is simply due to the fact that more testing is going on in Switzerland (and much less elsewhere which might seem the death rate looking high)

I sincerely hope that Australia, a wonderful place, will not be hit so hard.

And regarding LX, it is a Basel registered company being part of the LH group. Any problem with that and what has this to do with your Amex chargeback intention?
ParisMoskau likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by behuman
What a strange post ! Did you get some frustrations with Swiss ? Sorry for that, but death rate as per https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6 Italy: 12.07 %, France 8.9%, Switzerland 2.8 %, but again this means nothing but is simply due to the fact that more testing is going on in Switzerland (and much less elsewhere which might seem the death rate looking high)

I sincerely hope that Australia, a wonderful place, will not be hit so hard.

And regarding LX, it is a Basel registered company being part of the LH group. Any problem with that and what has this to do with your Amex chargeback intention?
No Just pointing out LH group policy is no refund - and wit hthe high infection rate travellers would be keen to avoid CH for now i do like travelling to/via/CH and was much looking forward to my days in Zuerich and my daytrip to Lombardia to shop as well as my regular trip to israel - using LX into EU/CH of course becasue of widebodies Hoever I just dont understand how LH Group would think they could keep flying in this situation and further amplifying the spread/infection rate I do understand the border situation wit hitaly
Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Just to make something clear:
the infection rates that are currently floating around say absolutely NOTHING how much the virus is spreading. Since every country tests totally differently, the numbers are not comparable.
Some countries just test some people with symptoms, some only when you were in Italy before, and some do broad testing (and hence discover a lot more cases) - Switzerland is in the latter category.
To conclude from there that there are many more infections in Switzerland is not really intelligent...
behuman likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:11 am

No Just pointing out LH group policy is no refund
Their lobbying seems to be successful

Vacationers to receive vouchers instead of refunds (in German)

The German "corona cabinet" decided on Thursday that consumers will no longer receive refunds for canceled flights, package tours, football games or concerts. Instead, they will be given vouchers. These vouchers will remain redeemable until December 2021. If customers do not redeem their vouchers by that date, they will be entitled to get their money back.
The German federal government will encourage the EU commission to take the same approach EU-wide.
No word on whether the government will guarantee refunds after December 2021 if the travel provider goes bust by then.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:03 am

No Just pointing out LH group policy is no refund - and wit hthe high infection rate travellers would be keen to avoid CH for now i do like travelling to/via/CH and was much looking forward to my days in Zuerich and my daytrip to Lombardia to shop as well as my regular trip to israel - using LX into EU/CH of course becasue of widebodies Hoever I just dont understand how LH Group would think they could keep flying in this situation and further amplifying the spread/infection rate I do understand the border situation wit hitaly
Where does one acquire a keyboard without a period in 2020?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
From the bit you quote, I don’t read that.
So, I've got flights ZRH-AUH-ZRH booked for the 7th, returning 11th April (booked with Swiss but operated by Etihad). As of 30th March, these have now been cancelled

I can't make a change on manage my booking, which i assume is because of the Etihad operation, so once we get into 72 hours, I'll call the service centre

I booked these in the sale, so would prefer to rebook to another date rather than get a voucher. My understanding of EC261 is that if the routing remains the same, they should not charge a fare difference. Has anyone had experience of whether this is the case in the current situation?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
New update https://www.swiss.com/ch/en/various/breaking-news
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:01 am

So easy to obtain a flightvoucher by filling in the online form and you can book a new flight via a SWISS call centre immediately (have you tried phoning one?), or wait up to 2 weeks for the voucher to be emailed.
If your new flight is more expensive you "may" have to pay the extra. If your new flight is cheaper we will keep the difference.
Even if you have already asked for a refund you can ask for that request to be disregarded and have a voucher instead.

Compared with:

However if you want a refund of course it is still possible, but we are very busy at the moment and cannot process them in the usual time limits. Please contact a call centre at a "later date." I don't even have a confirmation email after filling in the online refund request four weeks ago.

I'm just a bit sore about it.
ParisMoskau likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: LH SEN
https://swiss.flightvoucher.com/

Isn't it a scam though? Look at the small print:

* To qualify for the CHF 50 discount when rebooking a new ticket, either the original ticket or the rebooked ticket must have a fare value of more than CHF 50.

I just tried rebooking some of my flights that are later in the year, and the fare value doesn't really change, however the international surcharge difference does.
  • International surcharge difference
    GBP 18.80
No prizes for guessing if the 50 chf discount probably doesn't apply to the "surcharge"
Old Apr 4, 2020, 4:03 am

There are so many policies these days and they change so frequently that I don't believe even airlines themselves will be able to track what policy is effective when the time to reschedule flights come.
Even those that keep being published are slightly confusing to say the least.

Does this mean that as long as you keep the route and cabin class, you will be able to rebook newly booked tickets to a later date without additional charges?
If the price of the rebooked flight is higher than that of the original booking – owing to a change of destination (e.g. short-haul to long-haul), a change of seating class or similar – an additional amount may still be payable, despite the discount offered.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by maxvor
There are so many policies these days and they change so frequently that I don't believe even airlines themselves will be able to track what policy is effective when the time to reschedule flights come.
Even those that keep being published are slightly confusing to say the least.

Does this mean that as long as you keep the route and cabin class, you will be able to rebook newly booked tickets to a later date without additional charges?
I'd like to think so maxvor, but it isn't clear.
However, witnessing how SWISS have been dealing with monetary matters recently, I doubt it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.