Wiki Posts
Search

Is Star Gold card required?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nic33
That sounds weird.
I've seen much weirder things happening in the corporate world.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I am an LX FTL (Swiss resident). But I am mostly flying LH for practical reasons resulting from my usual flight itinary. This would mean that LX is billed each time I enter a LH lounge, although I am practically never flying with LX. That sounds weird.

Also, what happens when I am flying on C with LH. Does LX still get billed when I access a LH lounge?
Well it depends if you enter the SEN or BIZ lounge. As SEN lounges only permit *G entry, LX will be billed.

But if in LH C accessing the LH C lounge then it will it will be billed to LH, if in LX C then LX billed.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 2:48 am

Programs: 1 thousand
I am an LX FTL (Swiss resident). But I am mostly flying LH for practical reasons resulting from my usual flight itinary. This would mean that LX is billed each time I enter a LH lounge, although I am practically never flying with LX. That sounds weird.

Also, what happens when I am flying on C with LH. Does LX still get billed when I access a LH lounge?
But by earning status with LX, all your miles go to LX. I suspect the lounge costs are all rolled into the various mile transfers that are happening (i.e. you do fly LH, but they have to give LX a bunch of miles for every flight - and maybe there's some kind of monetary value associated with status miles that gets transferred at the same time)?

From what I've heard, at least if you are a United MP member: Sen lounge access is perhaps $5 more than Business lounge access. So my understanding if you're flying C, Business lounge access is already in the ticket (and presumably billed to the operating carrier), and UA get billed $5 for the Sen access. Whereas if you're flying Y, UA get billed the full cost ($25 + $5)? I'm guessing they'd be doing something similar for M&M too.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by televisor
But by earning status with LX, all your miles go to LX
No - there is no "status earning with LX" or any specific carrier. Miles earned go into your M&M account, with the operating carrier paying M&M for them.
So my understanding if you're flying C, Business lounge access is already in the ticket (and presumably billed to the operating carrier), and UA get billed $5 for the Sen access. Whereas if you're flying Y, UA get billed the full cost ($25 + $5)? I'm guessing they'd be doing something similar for M&M too.
Correct on all counts.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I knew about different countries getting different M/M card branding. But I was under the impression that LH paid for everything and there was no difference in the billing.

But thanks for answering my question.

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Well it depends if you enter the SEN or BIZ lounge. As SEN lounges only permit *G entry, LX will be billed.

But if in LH C accessing the LH C lounge then it will it will be billed to LH, if in LX C then LX billed.
If you are flying in Y and theoretically have no lounge access, the FFP issuing the *G gets billed for the lounge visit. If in C and going into a C lounge the operating carrier pays for lounge visit. SEN lounges are classified as a grade better than C lounges, so if a *G in C goes into a SEN lounge, the FFP issuing the *G gets charged a small amount.

Earlier days the LH group lounges just kept count and billed the FFPs via Starnet who then insisted correct accounting was done. So now LH group lounges have the scanning system where the exact details of the lounge visit are captured so it can pass any audit by *A partners.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
I have a Sen Card with an OS Logo and a SEN Credit Card with an LH Logo. Which one to use?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
I have a Sen Card with an OS Logo and a SEN Credit Card with an LH Logo. Which one to use?
Why care?

I do absolutely not care about who is getting billed for my lounge visit.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
Use the one who you want to pay your lounge bill or just take whichever card is closest on you...
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:57 pm
PNW

moved forums

Last edited by PNW; Jan 9, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If you are flying in Y and theoretically have no lounge access, the FFP issuing the *G gets billed for the lounge visit.
I don't think so. The bulk of the cost of the lounge access is covered by the operating carrier.
If the FFP is billed with the complete cost, TK and A3 would have gotten into financial trouble in the last years. Moreover, at most airports without a Star Alliance Lounge, *G in Y can also access the dedicated third party lounge. If the third party lounge at a small airport (with only one Star Alliance carrier serving it) has to establish a billing agreement with all Star carriers, its not practical. Hence, I very much assume the operating carrier is on the hook for the costs.

One more example: Why can UA*G not access the UA lounge at LHR, when departing on Eurowing?. However, access is granted to the Lufthansa lounge.
My thesis is that the Lufthansa lounge is billing Eurowings - as operating carrier - for the access (there is an agreement in place, because BEST customers can access the lounge, as well). Through a bilateral agreement United refunds Eurowings part of the costs.

Another one: At SIN many Star Alliance carriers (one is United) is proactively sending its premium and *G pax to the SATS-branded lounge (plaza premium). While access to the relevant SQ lounges (SilverKris for C, and KrisFlyer Gold for *G) is granted, as well, the operating carrier United may have a better bilateral deal on costs with the SATS branded lounge than with the SQ lounges. Why would the operating carrier care for the costs, if the FFP must pay? Hence, its clear to me that the operating carrier is on the hook for the costs.

Yet another one:
Premium Pax (incl. *G), departing MUC with TK, are not allowed to access the Lufthansa Lounges at MUC. Technically, its against the rules.
LH was quoting that TK is not reimbursing them for access, because TK claims that they fly from Terminal 1, while LH lounges are in Terminal 2. Again, this confirms my thesis that the operating carrier pays.

Last edited by warakorn; Jan 10, 2017 at 5:27 am
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
I don't think so. The bulk of the cost of the lounge access is covered by the operating carrier.
If the FFP is billed with the complete cost, TK and A3 would have gotten into financial trouble in the last years. Moreover, at most airports without a Star Alliance Lounge, *G in Y can also access the dedicated third party lounge. If the third party lounge at a small airport (with only one Star Alliance carrier serving it) has to establish a billing agreement with all Star carriers, its not practical. Hence, I very much assume the operating carrier is on the hook for the costs.

One more example: Why can UA*G not access the UA lounge at LHR, when departing on Eurowing?. However, access is granted to the Lufthansa lounge.
My thesis is that the Lufthansa lounge is billing Eurowings - as operating carrier - for the access (there is an agreement in place, because BEST customers can access the lounge, as well). Through a bilateral agreement United refunds Eurowings part of the costs.

Another one: At SIN many Star Alliance carriers (one is United) is proactively sending its premium and *G pax to the SATS-branded lounge (plaza premium). While access to the relevant SQ lounges (SilverKris for C, and KrisFlyer Gold for *G) is granted, as well, the operating carrier United may have a better bilateral deal on costs with the SATS branded lounge than with the SQ lounges. Why would the operating carrier care for the costs, if the FFP must pay? Hence, its clear to me that the operating carrier is on the hook for the costs.

Yet another one:
Premium Pax (incl. *G), departing MUC with TK, are not allowed to access the Lufthansa Lounges at MUC. Technically, its against the rules.
LH was quoting that TK is not reimbursing them for access, because TK claims that they fly from Terminal 1, while LH lounges are in Terminal 2. Again, this confirms my thesis that the operating carrier pays.
Well, Eurowings isn't a part of Star Alliance so that's why no UA lounge access, LH invites UA and ANA Elites to their lounges as a courtesy.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Unfortunately, you are wrong. oliver2002 is right on the money - pun intended.

For small airports with contract lounges, the lounge bills the sole Star carrier operating there but notes the *G FFP that granted access. The operating carrier then passes on the cost to the relevant FFP.

miamiflyer8 explained EuroWings LHR.

In SIN, UA directs pax to the cheapest lounge because the large majority of eligible pax departing on UA are UA FFP members or are travelling in C/F (in which case UA pays). It makes no sense to establish a different proceedure exclusively for other FFP *G travelling in UA Y. Also, think of the message: "Oh, you're a UA *G travelling in Y, please go to SATS. And you, Mr. LH *G, you can go to any of the nicer lounges...."

The TK / LH issue in MUC is entirely political and due to the poor relations between those carriers. TK insisted on a separate ground handling company, which only operates in T1, and refused to pay for any of LH's high, monopolistic handling charges in T2.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:31 am
Suspended

miamiflyer8 explained EuroWings LHR.
Well, Eurowings isn't a part of Star Alliance so that's why no UA lounge access, LH invites UA and ANA Elites to their lounges as a courtesy.
Well thank you for explaining me this. From my text it must have been quite clear to you that I knew about that. That was the reason I was highlighting this example.
To add: Its not merely a courtesy by the LH Lounge. They dont' do it for free. There is a bilateral agreement in place between UA/NH and EW about the lounge costs. It was even published that there is a bilateral. Why would it need a bilateral when the LH lounge bill directly the FFP (UA, NH), when a EW passenger accesses its lounge?

The TK / LH issue in MUC is entirely political and due to the poor relations between those carriers. TK insisted on a separate ground handling company, which only operates in T1, and refused to pay for any of LH's high, monopolistic handling charges in T2.
This does not explain why an eligible passenger (UA*G arriving in T2) and connecting to TK is not allowed to access the LH lounges.
If the FFP is billed (and UA even departing from MUC), why is LH making a fuzz not granting access? Again, the mess at MUC is an indication that the operating carrier is on the hook for the costs as first party.

In SIN, UA directs pax to the cheapest lounge because the large majority of eligible pax departing on UA are UA FFP members or are travelling in C/F (in which case UA pays). It makes no sense to establish a different proceedure exclusively for other FFP *G travelling in UA Y. Also, think of the message: "Oh, you're a UA *G travelling in Y, please go to SATS. And you, Mr. LH *G, you can go to any of the nicer lounges...."
Well, I do not get your point.
UA tries to send its eligible pax to the cheapest SATS lounge (which is not the SQ KrisFlyer Gold lounge).
*G pax may elect to go to the SQ KrisFlyer Gold lounge, based on Star Alliance rules. C pax may elect to go to the SQ SilverKris lounge, based on Star Alliance rules.

Last edited by warakorn; Jan 11, 2017 at 2:50 am
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:15 am

why is LH making a fuzz not granting access?
Because the agent is a dumb and thinks airoli's reason applies to lounge access as well.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:49 am
Suspended

Because the agent is a dumb and thinks airoli's reason applies to lounge access as well.
I've read here on FT 3 years ago (though, I cannot find the link, yet) that TK is refusing to pay LH for TK pax accessing LH lounges at MUC T2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.