Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:36 am

TLV is not clean so you will need to go through security in ZRH. Follow signs for connecting passengers. You’ll arrive and depart from E so you just get funneled through a little security checkpoint in that concourse that is used for connections (main security for other departing passengers is at Concourse A).

Extra “security” for US departures means a check of your documents (passport etc.) just in front of the gate area, after you leave the SEN lounge, so leave a bit early. They’ll check that you have your papers in order to enter the US and may ask a few questions. If you are SSSSelected for extra security then you will be asked to go to a little security checkpoint right by the US departure gates to have your bags inspected, be swabbed for explosives, etc. but this only applies to a small number of the passengers.

SEN lounge will have hot food, a salad bar, some kind of dessert. If you’re there around a regular meal time then they’ll be cooking the hot dish live so at least it’s fresh. Food is decent.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
By the way, TLV flights could also park at a D gate when operated by an A320/A321.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:59 am

Thanks for the great advice everyone!
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Recyclops
If you’re there around a regular meal time then they’ll be cooking the hot dish live so at least it’s fresh. Food is decent.
They used to, now you are lucky if they heat up some half-decent pre-cooked food for you. The food at the SEN lounge has gone downhill ever since the SEN lounge in E opened.
YuropFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:33 pm

Hello, connecting Africa-Schengen with 1 hour layover. I guess there is need for security and passport check. Is it posible to quickly reenter E for the Gold Lounge before going to connecting gate? How much time to connecting gate (direct, and with E stop)? Thank you.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by intltravel90
Hello, connecting Africa-Schengen with 1 hour layover. I guess there is need for security and passport check. Is it posible to quickly reenter E for the Gold Lounge before going to connecting gate? How much time to connecting gate (direct, and with E stop)? Thank you.
Not advised, 1 hour connections are close to limits anywhere, go to your gate through security & passport control & and then consider if you have enough time for a lounge visit
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by intltravel90
You would need to clear passport control and security at ZRH.
Unfortunately, when you state Africa as your departure point, we can't estimate your arrival gate. Example: Cairo flights would arrive at D but JNB flights would arrive at E.

And as, passport control may be crowded, I would suggest that you first clear passport control and security and go to the Senator Lounge at A instead of E which would be closer to Schengen gates. Also, a reminder that passport control for non-EU/CH citizens may take longer.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by chris63
Good luck, it should be fine & do let us know how it goes, that will assist others in a similar situation
Thought I’d provide an update for anyone else in a similar situation.

I flew YUL-ZRH-VIE with my family (parents + 10yr old brother) with a 40 minute connection in ZRH. We were seated in J but I’m pretty confident any passenger could’ve made this connection provided you land on time.

We landed exactly on time in ZRH (LX87 Dec 23) and after debarking the aircraft, immediately head down to the train to take us to the main terminal. Quick passport control, up the escalator, walk to B gates.

We were one of the first to board and had basically no troubles at all. LX shows all short connections on the infotainment screen before landing with the gate number so that was super helpful. Unfortunately, did not have time to visit the lounge but didn’t plan to with a short connection.

One thing to note is that the train from E to main gates is VERY busy - just squish and get on, no point waiting for the next also-guaranteed-to-be-full train.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
First time on SWISS. Arriving Zurich from Canada and connecting on to Paris. Have a UK passport. J tx and *G. Would appreciate info about what to expect in terms of transferring in Zurich.

* Where is it best to get food and a shower?
* Do we do security again in Zurich? Unclear from reading this thread.
* tx is Air Canada stock. Swiss seems to have stricter rules about hand baggage. Do they enforce the weight for business class pax? Anyone know whose rules apply? I called Swiss but it was a rather unhelpful conversation.

Flight to CDG is on a 233. Would also appreciate any thoughts about what to expect on that flight. Many thanks in advance for any help.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bartolo
First time on SWISS. Arriving Zurich from Canada and connecting on to Paris. Have a UK passport. J tx and *G. Would appreciate info about what to expect in terms of transferring in Zurich.

* Do we do security again in Zurich? Unclear from reading this thread.
* tx is Air Canada stock. Swiss seems to have stricter rules about hand baggage. Do they enforce the weight for business class pax? Anyone know whose rules apply? I called Swiss but it was a rather unhelpful conversation.

Flight to CDG is on a 233. Would also appreciate any thoughts about what to expect on that flight. Many thanks in advance for any help.
* Senator Lounge A - It's best to clear passport control first
* No, Canada is considered as clean so no transfer security is needed.
* I have seen LH/LX/OS enforcing cabin baggage rules very strictly but depends on the gate agents; usually Business Class pax won't get their cabin bags weighed but it is possible. You would have 2x8kgs allowance as your hand baggage + a personal item that would fit under the seat

For the 223, you would have the same seat as the Economy Class seat and the seat next to you being empty and you would be front of the divider. If you select an 'A' seat, you would have direct access to the aisle and a view of the window. You would receive a light meal onboard that flight.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:32 pm

Depends on how long your layover is.

The lounges in E (where you will arrive) are nicer and have an apron view, but are still before passport control. Given enough time, I would go there first, on a shorter connection I would clear immigration first.

On board there will be, as has already been said, a light meal and (which puts LX far ahead of many others) champagne.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Many thanks and much appreciated. My layover is 4 hours.

Do both lounges have showers? Any difference in food? So, if no additional security, does this mean if I additional extra gels/liquids post security in Canada that don’t fit it the small baggie, I won’t have a problem in Zurich?

Tthe LX agent I spoke with insisted there will be no meal on-board. She didn’t mention champagne.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:59 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)

Do both lounges have showers? Any difference in food? So, if no additional security, does this mean if I additional extra gels/liquids post security in Canada that don’t fit it the small baggie, I won’t have a problem in Zurich?

Tthe LX agent I spoke with insisted there will be no meal on-board. She didn’t mention champagne.
No problem. Just make sure you don't go out of the secure zone. If you follow the signs from E to A/B you'll be fine.

There will be. But it's gonna be just a small meal. There is always champagne on Swiss Business.
Even on the BOB flights ex GVA there still is champagen in C.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:55 am

Do both lounges have showers? Any difference in food?
That's plenty for both lounges.

Yes, both have showers:
https://www.swiss.com/de/en/fly/airport/lounges-zurich

Food is usually the same or very similar at least.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi all,

We have a economy LX ticket LED-ZRH-NCE with 45 min connection at ZUR.

Will need to check a bag each at LED due to our bags are the US standard size carryon that would not meet both the dimension and weight requirement of the intra-EU flights.

I suppose baring any delay at LED, both our bags and us would make it to Nice on the booked flight? The next ZRH-NCE flight is 4 hours later on the same day, arriving after 10pm versus the currently booked one arriving right after 6pm.

Anybody knows which gate area the NCE flights normally depart? We know the arrival most likely at D gates as the first port of entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.