Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2022, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by solomita
I don't really have any better options that aren't a pain in the butt. NUE / Nuremberg doesn't have a ton of options. I could get up really early, take a taxi to MUC, and then catch an earlier flight, but given that 70 mins is very likely to be fine I'd much rather have the less stress. And I'm also just fine with staying overnight in Zurich and catching a next-day flight. I've got nowhere to be the next day. 8)
I understand, personally I would prefer to overnight in ZRH & enjoy the F experience the next day.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: *A Gold, ST - E+
Regarding short connections in ZRH, I had a 50min layover that became a 25min after a late departure from flight to ZRH. Still in the air, I was told there would be someone waiting for me to take me to my F flight. Apron arrival, limo waiting, 12min from plane to plane.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Mrs Microwave and I will be flying LHR-ZRH-DXB in just over a month in J on LX, and a schedule change has changed our connection to 45 minutes. A few questions (TIA!):
  • Will we have to reclear security in ZRH?
  • I read upthread that LX will drive people between gates for very tight connections—should we expect such treatment?
  • To those regular ZRH transfer passengers out there, would you stay with this connection or call LX and try to change to a LHR-ZRH flight that leaves at 06:00 and would give a ~3.5 hour connection?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
Mrs Microwave and I will be flying LHR-ZRH-DXB in just over a month in J on LX, and a schedule change has changed our connection to 45 minutes. A few questions (TIA!):
  • Will we have to reclear security in ZRH?
  • I read upthread that LX will drive people between gates for very tight connectionsshould we expect such treatment?
  • To those regular ZRH transfer passengers out there, would you stay with this connection or call LX and try to change to a LHR-ZRH flight that leaves at 06:00 and would give a ~3.5 hour connection?
the UK is considered "clean" you do normally do not have to re clear security.
However if your inbound flight arrives at D, and your outbound is from E you will need to go through security as you transfer between both concourses, as the connecting corridor does not separate clean and un clean passengers. However ZRH security is very efficient. To get to E you have a short train ride, but all in all those 45 minutes should be sufficient. And LX is know to put some effort in making sure that everyone makes their connection. So they might indeed bus you directly to your next flight, or just hold the flight a bit for you.
Microwave likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:12 pm

I have an upcoming trip that has a seemingly tight connection through ZRH. Having never been through this airport personally, was hoping to get some feedback on how doable this connection time is.

I'm coming in on AC flight from Canada, and departing to Milan on LX, with 70 minutes to connect. Non-EU passport holder.

Given I'll need to go through customs and immigration, as well as possibly security check, how tight is a 70 minute connection?

From some previous post, it seems to be that 70 minutes is sufficient, but I'm not sure if that's factoring in immigration as well as potentially security.

Last edited by pentiumvi; Apr 24, 2022 at 3:17 pm
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:40 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I have an upcoming trip that has a seemingly tight connection through ZRH. Having never been through this airport personally, was hoping to get some feedback on how doable this connection time is.

I'm coming in on AC flight from Canada, and departing to Milan on LX, with 70 minutes to connect. Non-EU passport holder.

Given I'll need to go through customs and immigration, as well as possibly security check, how tight is a 70 minute connection?

From some previous post, it seems to be that 70 minutes is sufficient, but I'm not sure if that's factoring in immigration as well as potentially security.
70 minutes is plenty for a connection, it's only immigration, no customs - your luggage will be checked through to the final destination. you're clear customs on arrival in Milan.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by megaloman
70 minutes is plenty for a connection, it's only immigration, no customs - your luggage will be checked through to the final destination. you're clear customs on arrival in Milan.
Ah yes, won't need to clear customs in Zurich.

So I take it the airport isn't too hard to navigate, and passport control is usually efficient? How is it compared to FRA? I've had some legal connection times which felt nearly impossible to make.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Ah yes, won't need to clear customs in Zurich.

So I take it the airport isn't too hard to navigate, and passport control is usually efficient? How is it compared to FRA? I've had some legal connection times which felt nearly impossible to make.
I despise FRA and avoid it when possible. ZRH is rather compact and much easier to navigate in my experience. You're likely to land at satellite E terminal and will be required to take a short train ride to the main B/D gates building - but 70 minutes is plenty for that - I wouldn't worry. In the past I had 40 minutes connections there and made them without issues (including immigration).
Old Apr 25, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
70min is fine for this connection. AC's on-time record, however, is another matter...
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by airoli
70min is fine for this connection. AC's on-time record, however, is another matter...
Yea... ACs on time record is definitely the wild card in this situation.

My current connection is the first ZRH-MXP of the day, so I'm hoping if AC is late, it wouldn't be that hard to get put on a later LX flight.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:37 pm

Considering MXP is one of the best-served destinations from ZRH, I wouldn't worry at all.

Even if we get an icelandic vulcano going nuts at the very moment you land, there is still a train which doesn't take much longer than a flight to get you to the city centre of Milano..
Old May 15, 2022, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Flight to ZRH from the US is delayed. Looks like down to a 2 - 2.5 hour layover now (connecting to Schengen so will need to get over to A gates). I wanted to stop in the Senator E lounge to see the whisky bar. Do I still have enough time? Whats the minimum amount of time I need (unclear when we will take off they are doing some sort of last minute maintenance)

Last edited by Duke787; May 15, 2022 at 5:39 pm
Old May 16, 2022, 12:43 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
You'll have plenty of time. US flights are usually early (so the delay will be somewhat compensated), plus the connection itself including passport control is unlikely to take more than 30 mins.
Duke787 likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gojko88
You'll have plenty of time. US flights are usually early (so the delay will be somewhat compensated), plus the connection itself including passport control is unlikely to take more than 30 mins.
Perfect yep I ended up landing at 10am with a 2 hour connection and spent about 1 hour here before moving to A.

Passport control was maybe 5 minutes (probably because the US flights had all gone through).

Glad I did the E lounge was great, Whisky Bar had some nice drams (just did one Aberlour 12 too early in the morning for more than 1) and it was pretty empty and easy to grab a shower.

Then I went to the Senator lounge in A before my connecting flight and it was a zoo. Not a seat to be found
Old May 24, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Looking at flying in from BRU connecting to TIA on a 40min connection.
Not sure where I would come in, but leaving out of D i think.
Has anyone done this connection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.