Wiki Posts
Search

Editor buttons needed: thread= & post=

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges
Original Poster

Editor buttons needed: thread= & post=

It's rather time consuming to create thread= and post= links. Could buttons to create those from a FT thread or post URL please be added, especially the post= function? Perhaps with those buttons that form of post linking would gradually become more widely used.

The functionality could be combined into a single button so that the script would create thread= or post= tags as appropriate for the URL pasted into the dialog box.

Or perhaps the ultimate solution would be to build this intelligence into the script attached to the existing URL button? It could generate a regular link when the link is not to a FT thread or post, and post or thread tags when the URL is to a FT post or thread.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:55 pm

I think you can accomplish what you want with the link button in the Editor menu. If you have copied the url for a thread or post, simply click the link button, paste the url into the text field, and enter whatever anchor text you prefer.

If I'm missing the point, please let me know.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:30 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges
Original Poster

Linking to your post in this thread with the URL button inserts into the edit field either:
  1. [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14189864-post2.html"]your post[/URL]; or
  2. [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/suggestions/1091725-editor-buttons-needed-thread-post.html#post14189864"]your post[/URL][*]
(Depending on which URL I happened to grab.)

#1 produces a link to a "view single post," whereas #2 produces a link to the post's anchor point within the full page that contains the linked post.

Linking to your post with a smarter URL button would insert into the edit field:
  • [post=14189864]your post[/post]
This greatly improves readability while I'm working in the edit window. It also benefits anyone quoting my comments and kindly attempting to quote just part of my post instead of the entire post.

Live examples:
When I started post #1 in this thread, I was thinking separate buttons, but as I wrote I came to realize that a single smart button would be a much better approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.