FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Suggestion Box (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/suggestion-box-756/)
-   -   Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/suggestion-box/1840073-suggest-ft-add-like-button-implemented-9-aug-2017-a.html)

Duke787 Aug 10, 2017 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 28670819)
This is really annoying. All the times in the past when there has been any publicity, the consensus was that the "like" button was NOT something that was wanted. Now, it just gets implemented without any prominent mentions of this thread where it was being discussed, so few contributed their dislike of the "like."

Arrgh. Turn an adult forum into facebook-like junk.

Originally Posted by DrBernardo (Post 28671730)
+1,000

Please give us a way of turning this disruptive mess off!

+100000. Absolutely horrible - it looks awful the way it's laid out and I hate the fact that you can see who liked things. Plus it clutters everything up. At the very least please give us an opt out.

Originally Posted by GentleGiant (Post 28670888)
Never ask members whether they would like a feature. There are many that would prefer to live in the past and not progress as humans simply do not like change. ;)

Sadly it is not showing on the mobile skin.

Thank goodness the software behind the forum is so poor otherwise there would be many more modern features to annoy the minority.

We need to remember that today's youngsters will want to enjoy this site and get the same benefits as we do. The site has to be relevant to them as well.

This under 30 year old millennial hates it - please don't paint us with one big brush stroke. If we have to do it, at least do it in a way that looks good, is well integrated into the platform, and provides a clear value add - the new iteration being rolled out does none of those things.

Sidenote - I had no idea this was happening until it popped up on a forum this morning and I'm among the most active FTers. Definitely didn't see any heads up this was coming (only time I saw anything at all was a blog post on BoardingArea from TheGate which mentioned a like button in the article title - I assumed it was just a rhetorical question because the blog writer needed a new topic to discuss).

SkiAdcock Aug 10, 2017 8:33 am

Why are the omnis being excluded? We've been told that like will not be gamed, will not be disruptive, etc. Therefore there is no rational reason to exclude the omnis.

Cheers.

goalie Aug 10, 2017 9:55 am

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 28670261)
Just my 2 cents...
  • I don't like that it shows who liked the post.
  • The list of who likes the post is distracting from the main text of the post.

I like this post but I will not click the like button because I do not like the like button

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 28670306)
How can I disable this? I find it useless and obtrusive.

I like this post but I will not click the like button because I do not like the like button

gobluetwo Aug 10, 2017 10:23 am

I like the concept of the like button, but am not a fan of the implementation.
I'd like something that looks like this, with the like button in teh same place (maybe bolded) and just below it (or next to it - whatever) the number of likes. I hate the fact that there is this huge section with usernames. This is the complete opposite of uncluttered and unobtrusive.

If you want to get even more fancy, make it so you hover over the (8) and see the usernames, but not just laid out as it is right now. Do Not Like.

At least you can unlike.

http://i.imgur.com/qLKI7S7.jpg

Pharaoh Aug 10, 2017 10:39 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 28672727)
If you want to get even more fancy, make it so you hover over the (8) and see the usernames, but not just laid out as it is right now.

This is a good solution to make almost everyone happy (one of several).

jackal Aug 10, 2017 11:49 am

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 28672612)

I've always found it interesting and odd that you are one of most like-happy people I know on Facebook, and yet you are so vehemently opposed to it here. Why the incongruity?

84fiero Aug 10, 2017 12:45 pm

The announcement sticky doesn't really say what the end result or goal of this feature is, beyond the immediate effect of seeing who liked a post. I see the below in iBobi's Q&A post linked in the Wiki (maybe there is more than this but I'm not reading this whole thread to find out the ultimate goal):

* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?

We have proposed adding a user-clickable "sort thread by likes" feature that would allow anyone to easily see the most-liked posts in a thread topic; as far as I know this is the only "use" for this that has been proposed.
Is the above-mentioned sort feature also being rolled out now?

I guess I'm ambivalent about the concept, so long as it doesn't disrupt the way I currently use the site. Maybe I'll use it, maybe I won't - we'll see.

But as for the current implementation... I'd place the like button down in the area where the reply, etc. buttons are now - it just looks sort of tacked on currently. I would also eliminate the little banner that states who liked the post...either drop it altogether or make it so you have to hover over the like button to see the "likers".

physioprof Aug 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 28670306)
How can I disable this? I find it useless and obtrusive.

Agreed!!! It's absolutely horrible how much screen space is taken up by the list of likers and how distracting it is!!!!! Give an option to turn it off!!!!!

IBobi Aug 10, 2017 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by florens (Post 28671193)
Will there be a function, similar to quotes and mentions, that gives an overview over who liked one's posts?

There will not. The feature originally had this, but it was decided to turn that part off.

Originally Posted by GentleGiant (Post 28670888)
Never ask members whether they would like a feature. There are many that would prefer to live in the past and not progress as humans simply do not like change. ;)

Sadly it is not showing on the mobile skin.

We need to remember that today's youngsters will want to enjoy this site and get the same benefits as we do. The site has to be relevant to them as well.

The "likes" feature does not yet work on the mobile skin.

Thank you for mentioning making the site more appealing to other demographics. We hope to keep FT vibrant for all, for a long time.

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 28671628)

I'm not able to find the like button in OMNI.

"Likes" are turned off for the Omni forums.

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 28672727)
I'd like something that looks like this, with the like button in teh same place (maybe bolded) and just below it (or next to it - whatever) the number of likes.

I hate the fact that there is this huge section with usernames.
http://i.imgur.com/qLKI7S7.jpg

We hope to continue iterating the feature in the future.

As to the section with the names... it does not look huge on my screen -- can you post a screen shot that shows how much real estate it's taking up? To me it looks quite small.

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 28673355)
Is the [option to sort thread by "likes"] feature also being rolled out now?

No it isn't. All we are rolling out now is the ability to "like".

IBobi Aug 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Size of posts with "likes" = same as posts without "likes"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...liked-test.png

The post frame does not enlarge. The area used by the "like" box is the same size, regardless of how many "likes" there are (the feature displays up to 3 handles before including the rest in the "and X other people like this" text).

SkiAdcock Aug 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Wow, IBobi - thanks for dismissing most of the (negative) input since this went live & ignoring what would work for FTers/make this a 'win-win' for both FTers/IB. Just like providing no notice & asking for input (24 hours really doesn't count), it shows that it doesn't matter when FTers do provide input if it doesn't match what IB wants to do. You all decided you wanted this - it didn't & doesn't matter what FTers say. :td: Well done you (generic you, not you specifically) :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Tanic Aug 10, 2017 6:07 pm

In 15 years of FT, I've never been to the suggestion box.

Please make it stop. (or at least invisible)

Pocalypse Aug 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 28674326)
The post frame does not enlarge. The area used by the "like" box is the same size, regardless of how many "likes" there are (the feature displays up to 3 handles before including the rest in the "and X other people like this" text).

I'm sorry, but that isn't true for most posts. Look at this post with and without the like element:
http://i.imgur.com/cG4YWbR.png
http://i.imgur.com/OOghcvN.png

Your example cherry picked a post where the left side bar was already longer than the post + like element, so the like had no effect. Most posts that are more than 1 or 2 lines will take up more room because of the like element.

GentleGiant Aug 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Needs to be next to Quote - not above - it is in the wrong place.

Also needs to be in the same style as the other buttons with a thumbs up.

But change the icon for news to say a newspaper from a thumb.

philemer Aug 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 28671713)
I don't mind a like button.... what I mind is that it shows who likes something.

Ditto. Really unnecessary.