FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Suggestion Box (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/suggestion-box-756/)
-   -   Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/suggestion-box/1840073-suggest-ft-add-like-button-implemented-9-aug-2017-a.html)

gobluetwo Aug 8, 2017 9:10 pm

BTW - unless you've got numbers showing that thousands of FTers have been clamoring for a like button, I stand by my statement that based on the threads in Talkboard & Omnis there's not been a huge clamoring by FTers for a like button.
While there may not be many proactively asking for a like button, it seems pretty clear that there are many more in this thread, at least, in support of a like button than not (granted, the vast majority of FTers just don't visit, or are even aware of, this forum).

Heck, I bet if you put up a poll that said which would you prefer: A) a decent search function on FT; B) a 'like' button, A would win by substantial numbers
This may be true if you made it a binary choice, but if you allowed respondents to select both, I would guess that a majority would also select Likes.

I don't see why a like feature can't be turned on/off, like other features of FT& that would be my & a # of other FTers preference. It's not self-defeating. If I as a user/contributor of FT don't want to be bothered to either post a like or - more importantly - view the likes (because I literally don't care if a post gets a like or not), I don't see why I should be forced to view them. If someone wants to view them, they can keep the feature turned on. Having the option of turning it on/off makes FTers able to use FT in a manner that works besst for them.
There is probably some more technical / coding reason for this. But would it really degrade your experience on FT to see a "like" button next to the "alert a moderator" button, for example, and to see "Likes: 14 under "Posts: 59,859" on each post? I don't know how it would actually be implemented, but I imagine it would be fairly unobtrusive. Why not give it a shot before decrying the concept?

And if I have to see the user names of those who have posted likes, that's going to turn FT into as big a mess for viewing as Milepoint was - and one reason I stopped going to Milepoint. Also, saying that it can'be gamed is silly IMO. There are plenty of ways it can be gamed. FTers even counted the ways in the 700 post thread. And BTW - posts have user names associated w/ them, so saying it's the post & never the FTer is a bit naive.
I absolutely agree with this. The usernames associated with likes was interesting at first, but quickly got very old and cluttered threads. Maybe I wouldn't mind it so much if it were less obtrusive (hover over the "Likes" to show usernames, or click to show pop-up balloon or something), although I am generally not a fan of attaching usernames to likes b/c who cares?

One thing I would suggest - don't make it possible to like your own posts.

SanDiego1K Aug 9, 2017 4:19 pm

We are about to roll out a like button. I'll be posting a global announcement. Once you use it, feel free to post your reaction and any glitches that you experience.

Carol
Community Director

IBobi Aug 9, 2017 4:33 pm

We'll be turning it on, forum by forum. It's now on in here :)

Kagehitokiri Aug 9, 2017 4:41 pm

ah, being turned on right now?

aeroman380 Aug 9, 2017 4:58 pm

I see the like button on the full site version but it doesnt appear on mobile version and tablets.

So glad this is active now i wont open the same trip report i hav3 read.

kipper Aug 9, 2017 8:26 pm

Just my 2 cents...
  • I don't like that it shows who liked the post.
  • The list of who likes the post is distracting from the main text of the post.

kipper Aug 9, 2017 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by corruptcanadian (Post 28669741)
I see the like button on the full site version but it doesnt appear on mobile version and tablets.

So glad this is active now i wont open the same trip report i hav3 read.

How does it keep you from opening the same trip report you've read previously?

mahasamatman Aug 9, 2017 8:40 pm

How can I disable this? I find it useless and obtrusive.

FLYMSY Aug 9, 2017 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 28670261)
Just my 2 cents...
  • I don't like that it shows who liked the post.
  • The list of who likes the post is distracting from the main text of the post.

+1

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 28670306)

+1

I wasn't in favor of a "Like" button and am less so after seeing it's highly distracting implementation.

JonNYC Aug 9, 2017 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 28466633)
I support a Like button, to the extent that it stops people from posting "+1" or "^" replies, and actually reduces clutter. ...

Originally Posted by nequine (Post 28661991)
I enjoy reading the trip report section but don't always want to repeat myself saying the same thing, so I'd like a 'like' button so that I can acknowledge the work someone has done (and the time taken) to post a trip report....

Originally Posted by nittanylion1 (Post 28662049)
It would be a validation that the post contains useful information, making it more valuable to newbies..

Originally Posted by MANtraveller (Post 28662227)
I would have 'liked' or 'helpful posted' this post with good suggestions without clogging up the thread with what I feel is unnecessary space to just agree with the original comment.

I feel it would make the forums easier to find great input from other members without too much of the surrounding posts that agree, +1 or sometimes dislike (no button for that please)

there are many times I have stopped myself from making a few word reply based on my opinion of the relative value, but the original poster has little idea of how well his/her post/comments are received by many people - just my thoughts !

Agree 100% with the above (and the others that said the same-- will reduce clutter and will help people figure out which posts have been deemed helpful to large #'s of members.

Strongly in favor of this feature.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 28669596)
We are about to roll out a like button. I'll be posting a global announcement. Once you use it, feel free to post your reaction and any glitches that you experience.

Carol
Community Director

Glad it was decided to be worth a try!

milepig Aug 9, 2017 9:56 pm

Can I turn off the blasted xxx likes this banners? Really annoying.

Bowgie Aug 9, 2017 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 28670306)

I gave you a "like". Hope you appreciate the irony :)
I agree with mahasamatman. I don't have a Facebook account because I don't give a toot about what people like or don't like. I already know what *I* like.

Doc Savage Aug 9, 2017 11:58 pm

This is really annoying. All the times in the past when there has been any publicity, the consensus was that the "like" button was NOT something that was wanted. Now, it just gets implemented without any prominent mentions of this thread where it was being discussed, so few contributed their dislike of the "like."

Arrgh. Turn an adult forum into facebook-like junk.

GentleGiant Aug 10, 2017 12:41 am

Never ask members whether they would like a feature. There are many that would prefer to live in the past and not progress as humans simply do not like change. ;)

Sadly it is not showing on the mobile skin.

Thank goodness the software behind the forum is so poor otherwise there would be many more modern features to annoy the minority.

We need to remember that today's youngsters will want to enjoy this site and get the same benefits as we do. The site has to be relevant to them as well.

RedChili Aug 10, 2017 2:11 am

Now we need to find out how we can convert our likes into miles in the program of choice ... 1 like converts to 10 miles! :D