Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

St Regis Aspen, Colorado 2001 - 2006 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Regis Aspen, Colorado 2001 - 2006 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: All of 'em
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Stayed there in early May two years ago and its snowed 9" two days before our arrival
Rate was an unbelievable $159 but it was probably becuse very slow and the property was pretty empty ( the two mornings at 900am we were the only ones in the breakfast room)
Would I pay $360 for a mountin view? no!!

The mountains are pretty close so your overall view assuming they are referencing the ones at the rear is pretty limited.

mike
Yeah but May and September are the lowest possible seasons in colorado. July/Aug are peak. Cheapest rooms at St. Regis showing those dates are $680 a night. Second week of May shows $300 a night. Seasons aren't comparable. I wanted to stay at the Broadmoor those nights (and pay minimum of $500 each) but they're completely sold out, 7 months in advance.

Given the time of year a 3-4 star hotel is going to cost that no matter what, I guess the question is a little different. IE, is the St. Regis worth $100 more than a Sheraton or equivalent, or is it worth $150 less than the Broadmoor. I'm figuring that if I'm going to use a 50% off cert getting from $700 to $350 is the way to use it, rather than shave $60 off a cheaper place. But alternate points of view are appreciated.

Given that it's July though, and I want to stay somewhere very, very nice in the mountains, I think it's making sense. All three of y'all seem to think the place is really special, which is what I'm going for. It's a notable anniversary for us as well.

Last edited by Flailey; Jan 29, 2006 at 2:40 pm
Old Jan 29, 2006, 5:30 pm

Programs: United-1K, Million Miler; SPG-Titanium and Lifetime Platinum; Globalist
I think the SR Aspen is worth more than the Broadmoor or a Sheraton...especially if you have status and chance of getting an upgrade at the SR.

Have you checked the Little Nell in Aspen? I have not stayed there, only had dinner, which was great. I've heard they have great rooms as well. They are just a few blocks from the SR.

Happy anniversary!
Old Jan 29, 2006, 6:52 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Was there in May a few years ago for a friend’s wedding over Memorial Day. They’d only arranged special rates at the Little Nell, but the rates, then, at the SR were very good, and they treated a Plat to a very nice full suite. I used points so that another friend could also attend and they upgraded him as well when I asked at the desk. It was not crowded, as others have noted for that time of year. The suite looked into town, but I didn’t care as we were all offsite for most of the time. I would stay there again under the same circumstances, or even your circumstances. I’m a bit surprised they do the 50% deal, but it’s worth it.

They had one in my rooms already, but I’d be sure there’s a humidifier in the room. It is dry there! My lips were chapping and they don’t do that in NYC in the winter.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sscott77
I think the SR Aspen is worth more than the Broadmoor or a Sheraton...especially if you have status and chance of getting an upgrade at the SR.

Have you checked the Little Nell in Aspen? I have not stayed there, only had dinner, which was great. I've heard they have great rooms as well. They are just a few blocks from the SR.

Happy anniversary!
Thanks. No status, and not likely to get it. Though I just switched from a CitiAA MC to the SPG card and I average about 10k+ a month so I'll have points to spare and then some. But unless there's a way to get status that way I'll be a civilian.

Was surprised after reading about the SPG50 certs and difficulty redeeming them that they were able to do it for me. Unfortunately the Saturday night ain't an option. So we're doing Broadmoor that night for one night, then up to Aspen. Should be fun. Will check out the Nell for dinner.

Lived in Colorado for years and have friends all over but have been to Aspen exactly once. Should be fun to discover a new place in a familiar place, so to speak.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 5:41 am

Stayed there in July year before last. Plat upgraded, lounge had 4-5 meal changes daily. Lexus was running a 'free loaner' promotion in which you could take a free ride for a couple hours on their 2+2 roadster, and we took advantage of it.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Plat; SPG Plat
I just stayed there this month and it's a great hotel. Anything in Aspen after July 4th is going to be expensive, so $360 doesn't seem too bad. You said that you swithced to the SPG Amex and are earning points. This hotel is a category 5 and you can get a free night for 12k points. That's a great deal IMO. Another thing to consider is the upgrade with points. I used 2,500 points per night to upgrade from the deluxe room to a junior suite. We faced away from Ajax, but still had good view of the mountains and a great view of the town (room 251). The way I understand this, if you don't use points to book the room (i.e., use SPG 50), you can't confirm the upgrade using points until you are within 5 days of arrival. However, if you use points for the room (12k per night) you can go ahead and confirm your upgrade using additional points (extra 2.5k per night).
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
If you can get a Deluze Mountain View room for $360 then book it. Not all of the rooms have a clear view of the mountain. The hotel is sort of U shaped wth the rooms at the bottom of the U having great views of the mountain and the pool (in the center of the U). The rooms on the side can be hit of miss as far as a view is concerned. If you are on a lower floor you can have a view obstructed by trees.

They also have rooms in a building across the street served by an elevated walkway over the road. They have a partial mountain view, at best (obstructed by trees and the main part of the hotel). I stayed in one of these rooms last year over the July 4th weekend (it was all I could get) and I actually liked it. There are only about 6 rooms per floor. The rooms have a hardwood floor entry and a plasma TV in the bathroom. Its very quiet over there due to the small number of rooms. This room, their lowest category of room cost me $550/night.

I have stayed in Deluxe Mountain View rooms before and they are very nice. The views, especially from the higher floors are fantastic. 4 is the Alpine Floor with a lounge, they usually hit you an extra $200/night for these rooms. I was put on the 5th floor (top floor) in a Deluxe Mountain View room last January for the Winter X Games and really enjoyed it. This room cost me $680/night.

None of the rooms have balconies (except suites) so the view really doesn't do much for me. Its hard to go wrong at the SR Aspen! If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, I've been to this hotel quite a bit and can answer most/all of your questions.

Last edited by DENPremEx; Jan 30, 2006 at 11:27 am
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DENPremEx
If you can get a Deluze Mountain View room for $360 then book it. Not all of the rooms have a clear view of the mountain. The hotel is sort of U shaped wth the rooms at the bottom of the U having great views of the mountain and the pool (in the center of the U). The rooms on the side can be hit of miss as far as a view is concerned. If you are on a lower floor you can have a view obstructed by trees.

They also have rooms in a building across the street served by an elevated walkway over the road. They have a partial mountain view, at best (obstructed by trees and the main part of the hotel). I stayed in one of these rooms last year over the July 4th weekend (it was all I could get) and I actually liked it. There are only about 6 rooms per floor. The rooms have a hardwood floor entry and a plasma TV in the bathroom. Its very quiet over there due to the small number of rooms. This room, their lowest category of room cost me $550/night.

I have stayed in Deluxe Mountain View rooms before and they are very nice. The views, especially from the higher floors are fantastic. 4 is the Alpine Floor with a lounge, they usually hit you an extra $200/night for these rooms. I was put on the 5th floor (top floor) in a Deluxe Mountain View room last January for the Winter X Games and really enjoyed it. This room cost me $680/night.

None of the rooms have balconies (except suites) so the view really doesn't do much for me. Its hard to go wrong at the SR Aspen! If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, I've been to this hotel quite a bit and can answer most/all of your questions.

Thanks for the wealth of info. I picked a Deluxe Mountain View room, which comes in at about 350 or so with the certificate. I have a feeling it'll be a nice place to spend two nights. We are going to the Broadmoor the night before, so we'll be in luxury for three days before moving on to a rustic lil' colorado wedding. Will be a trip to be at the Broadmoor, last time I was there was for a homecoming party (while I was an undergrad) which was debaucherous enough to cause the entire college to be banned from ever having events there in the future. Heh. Will be amusing to be a yuppie couple staying as guests.

Think I'm set on the St Regis, thanks again... though if you have any restaurant recommendations in Aspen by all means lemme know. Like I said last time I was there was 10 years ago and I was a poor college kid. Pretty clueless on the town in general.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:53 pm

One of the great features of the SPG50s is that you're in a higher "fare class" because you've booked a rack rate. Some hotels are more likely to upgrade you from the rack rate than from cheaper rates.

Have you considered joining Ameniti (search the UA forum)? For $500 you can get 50k UA miles (F to Alaska is 40k, and is a good deal from the east coast) and SPG gold. If the SR upgrades you because of the gold, then that $500 will have been $$ well spent.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by johnep1
One of the great features of the SPG50s is that you're in a higher "fare class" because you've booked a rack rate. Some hotels are more likely to upgrade you from the rack rate than from cheaper rates.

Have you considered joining Ameniti (search the UA forum)? For $500 you can get 50k UA miles (F to Alaska is 40k, and is a good deal from the east coast) and SPG gold. If the SR upgrades you because of the gold, then that $500 will have been $$ well spent.
Thanks, and I've looked at Ameniti. Will have to look more carefully. I'm so totally committed to AA right now that it would be hard to justify more money and brainpower devoted elsewhere. The main goal of the SPG card for me is to get AA miles, though the St. Regis certainly is a nice side benefit.

I don't spend enough time in hotels, and don't choose them myself often enough, to go too crazy on hotel status. Points sure, but status may be a lost cause.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:37 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Flailey
though if you have any restaurant recommendations in Aspen by all means lemme know. Like I said last time I was there was 10 years ago and I was a poor college kid. Pretty clueless on the town in general.
One benefit you get as a guest of the SR Aspen is that you can have dinner at the Caribou Club on their corporate membership. You can dine there once per stay. You pay a fixed price for the meal (I think it was $75 when we went in March 2005), plus drinks and any additional dining options that you choose (such as an additional order of their heavenly cheese bread). After dinner, you are welcome to stick around for dancing or drinks.

Dinner here provided the best service that we've ever had. Food was excellent. Excellent wine. Most importantly, my fiance accepted my surprise wedding proposal here. If we ever go again, I'd probably opt for reservations at around 8:00.

The night before was a great meal at Cache Cache. Also a strong recommendation. Wherever you choose, definitely make your dinner reservations in advance of your trip.

Breakfast in Olives is not to be missed if it's included in your room rate or as a Plat perk. Would likely run you about $32/person if you have to pay out of pocket, though.

We really liked the SR Aspen, but I attribute its price and category to its location more than to the property itself. However, we're bargain hunters and have never shelled out $300+ cash for any hotel room. We stayed at the SR on a Free Weekend promo award when the going rate was $830. Then we moved to the Cordillera Resort & Spa near Beaver Creek for just $150 (a rare find). We actually enjoyed the Cordillera more than the SR, but it was a close debate.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Flailey
Thanks, and I've looked at Ameniti. Will have to look more carefully. I'm so totally committed to AA right now that it would be hard to justify more money and brainpower devoted elsewhere. The main goal of the SPG card for me is to get AA miles, though the St. Regis certainly is a nice side benefit.

I don't spend enough time in hotels, and don't choose them myself often enough, to go too crazy on hotel status. Points sure, but status may be a lost cause.
You might want to try giving SPG a call and asking if they can give you gold status. My GF got the SPG AMEX, called SPG to request the SPG50, and the rep said they would upgrade her to gold for no reason.

It doesn't hurt to ask. Once you mention that you earn 10,000 points a month using the AMEX, I would think they would give you gold.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 4:39 pm
Suspended

You might want to try giving SPG a call and asking if they can give you gold status. My GF got the SPG AMEX, called SPG to request the SPG50, and the rep said they would upgrade her to gold for no reason.

It doesn't hurt to ask. Once you mention that you earn 10,000 points a month using the AMEX, I would think they would give you gold.
Worth a shot. I'm AA PLT and could prove I spent over 100k last year on my CitiAA card. If they care about such things.

But I'll stay at very few Starwood hotels this year. That's almost inevitable based on how I typically travel.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 4:53 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic

That's a good idea. Having a reservation for a SR in your itineraries probably makes you look good to them, too.

A word of caution on SR Aspen stays: Their cancellation penalty can be pretty severe even on Rack rates. Have pretty solid plans to commit to the stay. Since ours was an award stay, they'd have charged our credit card for one night at rack rate if we'd not shown up. (I hate this policy. Why won't they just take my miles for the night?)
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:34 am

Location: Washington, DC, USA : Starwood Gold, DL- no more :-(
Ski Rentals?

Where have you all rented skis when you're there? We're going next week and my sister in law has rented from the Aspen Sports place that the St Regis is associated with: www.rentskis.com/stregis that is located across from the hotel. While looking online at Aspen's website I saw that the rental shop on their site (Aspen/Snowmass Four-Mountain Sports and D&E Ski and Snowboard Shop) will transfer your equipment to the other mountains so that you don't have to carry it with you on the shuttle busses. That info is at: http://www.aspensnowmass.com/store/e...cfm?isSummer=0
Have any of you rented from those two places? Any thoughts on whether the transfer is really a good idea or does it almost make things more complicated since you then have to reclaim them at their transfer sites rather than having them with you. Their prices look pretty comparable. Thanks for any help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.