Search

Platinum Welcome Gift

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:42 am
STM
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Plat
Platinum Welcome Gift

Recently made SPG PE for the first time, after years as a gold. I know that most FT members take the 500 Starpoint amenity upon check in (as I probably will too), but what have others seen as welcome gift options? Does this vary from hotel to hotel, or is there a standard set of possibilities? I apologize if I missed this in previous posts---a quick search didn't turn up anything obvious.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:30 am

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
It varies.

Special local gift, wine, or $ for the minibar or restaurant...

BTW only 250 points at 4pts!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Trust me, take the points. All other options are cr@p. Unless, of course, you have too many points to burn.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:36 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by STM
Recently made SPG PE for the first time, after years as a gold. I know that most FT members take the 500 Starpoint amenity upon check in (as I probably will too), but what have others seen as welcome gift options? Does this vary from hotel to hotel, or is there a standard set of possibilities? I apologize if I missed this in previous posts---a quick search didn't turn up anything obvious.
You might find this thread helpful: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...=1#post8077195

It is posted in the FAQ stickied to the top of this forum.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:14 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Disagree not all other options are crap....

...while I take the pts. 90% of the time, I have gotten decent bottles of vino in Europe, a really nice polo shirt in Mexico, and a 30 min message in KL. But if u only plan on travelling in the US/Canada...take the points.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by HomerJ
...while I take the pts. 90% of the time, I have gotten decent bottles of vino in Europe, a really nice polo shirt in Mexico, and a 30 min message in KL. But if u only plan on travelling in the US/Canada...take the points.
At many South American, European, and Asian properties, I get gift baskets/wine/other goodies in addition to the 500 Points. Some of the U.S. Hotels I frequent do the same. The Sheraton South Padre Island always has choco-covered strawberries and Sparkling Wine waiting in my Junior Suite when I arrive. ^
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:50 pm
Community Director Emerita

yozithezet maintains a list of local gifts that others have reported.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:50 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Trust me, take the points. All other options are cr@p. Unless, of course, you have too many points to burn.
The ITC Mughal, Agra's Minature Taj Mahal replica is a worthwhile option to take instead of the points, but most of the time agree with you that points is the best option available.

* The tennis ball is to give some sense of the size of the miniature.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 7, 2008 at 12:22 am Reason: Added the photos
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:56 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by HomerJ
But if u only plan on travelling in the US/Canada...take the points.
That is not always the best option. A free movie is worth more (at least to some people) than 250 Starpoints at Four Points.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I dont entirely agree.
when its 500 pts I usually take the pts when its 250 as in the Sydney 4 PTS I usually take the soft toy.. great gifts for young children
and they change the toys constantly. My friends kids have all the range now.

and I look like a caring aunty!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.