Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:16 pm

Arrow Bangkok General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Hi FTs,

Need some quick help as I need to attend an event at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center in Bangkok, next week. I was told that its near one of the MRT stations & to stay at a hotel which is in proximity to an MRT station, to avoid heavy traffic.

I've done a search and there are 4 Starwood properties and think that I could do a mini mattress run if its convenient. I'll be staying 3days & 2 nites.

Can anyone shed some light which Starwood properties are convenient to do something crazy, yet possible if its close enough to MRT stations or the Queen Sirikit National COnvention Center.

Also, any tips on where I could book good rates for the properties above which will earn stay credit, as I am about 10 stays short of platinum.

Appreciate all info & cheers to all!

Squzair
Old Jul 5, 2007, 1:04 pm

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and Westin Bangkok are across the street from each other and they are linked by a bridge. Can't be more convenient than that.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 2:07 pm

I concur with the previous poster regarding the Sheraton grande Sukhumvit.
It seems to me that you plan to alternate stays between two properites. In this case, I would choose Sheraton grande Sukhumvit and Westin grande. You can also stay at Plaza Athenee but it is a bit far from train station. If you plan to make regular visits, there is a Sheraton Grande Club (see http://www.sheratongrandesukhumvit.com/sgc.asp). There is a special room rate for club members.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 4:33 pm

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
Originally Posted by Squzair
Hi FTs,

Need some quick help as I need to attend an event at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center in Bangkok, next week. I was told that its near one of the MRT stations & to stay at a hotel which is in proximity to an MRT station, to avoid heavy traffic.

I've done a search and there are 4 Starwood properties and think that I could do a mini mattress run if its convenient. I'll be staying 3days & 2 nites.

Can anyone shed some light which Starwood properties are convenient to do something crazy, yet possible if its close enough to MRT stations or the Queen Sirikit National COnvention Center.

Also, any tips on where I could book good rates for the properties above which will earn stay credit, as I am about 10 stays short of platinum.

Appreciate all info & cheers to all!

Squzair
AH Bangkok - the mattress run capital... and other things...
SGS and Westin make for excellent location and hopping...
ROS isn't too far out either, and the Meridien is in a decent walking location to some excitement IIRC...
Plenty of threads on Bangkok, search search search...
Old Jul 5, 2007, 5:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Proximity

Also, both Westin and SGS are very close to QS Convention Center. You could easily walk, if you don't mind the heat and possible rain. The convention center is visible from some rooms at both hotels and the recommended jogging path passes the center. Thus the two are idea for what you propose.
Internet prepaid rates through the SPG web site usually are about the cheapest and may have the option of the best rate guarantee, if a better rate is found within 24 ours of booking.

Cheers
Rens
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:39 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
My recommendation goes to the Westin Sukhumvit..
Old Jul 6, 2007, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
All I have to say is once you check into the Sukhumvit, you may not want to check out. It's quite lovely, esp. the pool area.

As a barometer, I've also stayed at the Four Seasons and the Peninsula in Bangkok.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 10:02 pm

Thanks very much to all ...

Would love to stay at both properties, but don't think I can afford
the time to move ... so will just have to stay both nites at the Sheraton
instead.

Once again .... cheers!

^
Old Jul 7, 2007, 11:17 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
??

Originally Posted by Squzair
Thanks very much to all ...

Would love to stay at both properties, but don't think I can afford
the time to move ... so will just have to stay both nites at the Sheraton
instead.

Once again .... cheers!

^
take out clothes for one day and checkinto the sheraton.
deposit your luggage at the westin.

next day checkout sheraton go to the westin and checkin.

this will take you 20mins , walking + checkin time.

dp
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:26 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
I bet you could get the bell desk to organize the transfer of your bags. A little gratuity and you just go back to the otherhotel that night and check-in.

Really, they don't get any easier than this.

The Sheraton is nice I think. The Westin is more hip like the W themes in Thai-style.

But the Sheraton pool Rocks. You can also charge back to your room at the Westin.

Until I requalify each year I always hop between these properties. I use the Sheraton Grande club membership for discounts at the Sala and for free internet access in the evenings on the days I'm checked into the Westin.

Good Luck.

Scho
Old Jul 8, 2007, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Christian
AH Bangkok - the mattress run capital... and other things....
The Westin even has condoms as part of the minibar !
Old Jul 8, 2007, 4:07 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Christian
AH Bangkok - the mattress run capital... and other things...
At first I thought AH was another property.

Originally Posted by schoflyer
I use the Sheraton Grande club membership for discounts at the Sala and for free internet access in the evenings on the days I'm checked into the Westin.
Do you just mean Club level access or is there a club you can join like Club at the Hyatt?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:51 am

Programs: AA Plat - SPG Plat - DL Gold - CO Gold
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and Westin Bangkok are definitely the 2 to stay at. As a platinum I got a very nice upgrade in both. I prefer the Sheraton. There is no club level, but as platinum you get free drinks (from 5-7 or 6-8 can't recall) at any of the bars (everything except champagne). Free breakfast in the lobby restaurant. As well.

That said the Westin is very nice as well and the club staff were extremely helpful to me, as was the concierge. You really can't go wrong with either.

If you don't mind the hassle of moving there is no easier pair of SPG hotel for alternating stays anywhere in the world that I know of, and access to the skytrain is AWESOME.

Have fun, J
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
well

Originally Posted by jonathanl
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and Westin Bangkok are definitely the 2 to stay at. As a platinum I got a very nice upgrade in both. I prefer the Sheraton. There is no club level, but as platinum you get free drinks (from 5-7 or 6-8 can't recall) at any of the bars (everything except champagne). Free breakfast in the lobby restaurant. As well.

That said the Westin is very nice as well and the club staff were extremely helpful to me, as was the concierge. You really can't go wrong with either.

If you don't mind the hassle of moving there is no easier pair of SPG hotel for alternating stays anywhere in the world that I know of, and access to the skytrain is AWESOME.

Have fun, J
bali westin and sheraton westin is very close too

dp
Old Sep 2, 2007, 3:35 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
For those who have said that the rooms at the SGS in Bangkok are tired/dated, you may be interested to know that all the rooms will undego extensive refurbishment from the beginning of next year according to the staff last week.

The property isn't closing as they will be doing three floors at a time apparently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.