Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2007, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
For those who have said that the rooms at the SGS in Bangkok are tired/dated, you may be interested to know that all the rooms will undego extensive refurbishment from the beginning of next year according to the staff last week.

The property isn't closing as they will be doing three floors at a time apparently.
Did they give any indication of how the new interiors will look? I really like the design of the suites at the Westin across the road, but the SGS is our favourite hotel in BKK. I suppose the upgrade will be completed in davance of the St Regis Opening (whenever that may be ).
Old Sep 2, 2007, 8:40 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by jonathanl
If you don't mind the hassle of moving there is no easier pair of SPG hotel for alternating stays anywhere in the world that I know of, and access to the skytrain is AWESOME.

We had a great award stay at SGS last week. Our suite overlooked the convention center lake. The skytrain access was indeed great! Is there no way to get from Robinsons directly into the Westin? We tried to figure out how to go that way and it didn't seem possible. That would give at least some sort of skytrain access from the Westin.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Originally Posted by yosithezet
We had a great award stay at SGS last week. Our suite overlooked the convention center lake. The skytrain access was indeed great! Is there no way to get from Robinsons directly into the Westin? We tried to figure out how to go that way and it didn't seem possible. That would give at least some sort of skytrain access from the Westin.
No, I think you have to go outside to get to the Westin (but it's only 20 meters away...)
Old Sep 2, 2007, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rhetor
No, I think you have to go outside to get to the Westin (but it's only 20 meters away...)
Indeed, the stairs to the skytrain hit street level right outside the Westin Entrance.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
As I look out my window at 1:30 AM and watch the St R under construction, illegal as it might be and to hell with the residents, it will probably be finished by 2010 (and then be sued).
Old Sep 3, 2007, 1:01 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Did they give any indication of how the new interiors will look? I really like the design of the suites at the Westin across the road, but the SGS is our favourite hotel in BKK. I suppose the upgrade will be completed in davance of the St Regis Opening (whenever that may be ).
They did, it was the manager of BarSu downstairs who was telling me about it (he's seen the plans) but it was late and my memory of that part of the night is a little hazy.

Ask him when you're in next. Top bunch the staff in there. ^
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:07 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I hate to throw a wrench into the SGS vs. WGS battle, but after having stayed at the Le Meridien Plaza Athenee twice in the past year, I think I like the open-air feeling of their club, nice pool area, and also the downstairs restaurant for breakfast, at least equal to the Westin or better. Also, the Club Lounge seemed nicer than the Westin's. I felt claustrophobic in the Westin Lounge--which is only about 3 rooms' worth of space, while the LM's Club Lounge is huge--most of the floor it's located on.
I was doing a Mattress Run between the two--which, though the SGS is closer to the Westin, sometimes it's a lot more expensive--though lately, the LM seems to have raised it rates greatly--a Club Room was only US$190 thru early January, and now it's priced in Baht--8300 for advance purchase rate--about US$265. At those rates, it's creeping up toward SGS prices!
Westin's Club Rooms remain around 6800 Baht, or just over US$200/night.
So for me, it's a toss-up--if I want to relax and enjoy the pool, lounge, etc, I would likely choose the LM over the Westin if the rates were comparable; otherwise I'd take the SGS.
That said, do look at current rates for also-nearby Conrad BKK; the Club Lounge there blows the others out of the water, as does the pool and gym! That is where I'll stay next if price doesn't matter so much and I'm already SPG Plat.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They did, it was the manager of BarSu downstairs who was telling me about it (he's seen the plans) but it was late and my memory of that part of the night is a little hazy.

Ask him when you're in next. Top bunch the staff in there. ^
Will do, we really liked the chips with tartare sauce in there (weird but nice) to accompany the free cocktails

Out of idle curiosity how do you find the SGS compared to the Conrad (and for that matter SPG Plat compared to HH DIA)?
Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kyushuman
I hate to throw a wrench into the SGS vs. WGS battle, but after having stayed at the Le Meridien Plaza Athenee twice in the past year, I think I like the open-air feeling of their club, nice pool area, and also the downstairs restaurant for breakfast, at least equal to the Westin or better. Also, the Club Lounge seemed nicer than the Westin's. I felt claustrophobic in the Westin Lounge--which is only about 3 rooms' worth of space, while the LM's Club Lounge is huge--most of the floor it's located on.
I was doing a Mattress Run between the two--which, though the SGS is closer to the Westin, sometimes it's a lot more expensive--though lately, the LM seems to have raised it rates greatly--a Club Room was only US$190 thru early January, and now it's priced in Baht--8300 for advance purchase rate--about US$265. At those rates, it's creeping up toward SGS prices!
Westin's Club Rooms remain around 6800 Baht, or just over US$200/night.
So for me, it's a toss-up--if I want to relax and enjoy the pool, lounge, etc, I would likely choose the LM over the Westin if the rates were comparable; otherwise I'd take the SGS.
That said, do look at current rates for also-nearby Conrad BKK; the Club Lounge there blows the others out of the water, as does the pool and gym! That is where I'll stay next if price doesn't matter so much and I'm already SPG Plat.
The Plaza has a great club lounge it is true.

The Plaza has probably the best pool of any current Starwood in BKK it is true.

The staff at the Plaza (lounge staff excepted) are however atrocious and the lifts are pretty hopeless too. The rooms are also rather soul-less in comparison with the WGS and SGS. We stayed at the Plaza a few weeks ago and it took almost an hour for someone to bring my bags to the taxi after checking out, this summed up the experience.

The SGS rocks, we have stayed 6 times in the last 12 months and it is the only hotel (one night at the WGS excepted) in BKK where I have never had to make a single complaint. I also love the lack of club lounge at the SGS, Bar Su and/or the living room is sooo much better than a club lounge even a very nice one like that at the Plaza.

The Conrad is OK but the SGS is superb. We have a week's stay booked at the Conrad Residence over Xmas and I feel incredibly guilty for not staying at the SGS.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,

Out of idle curiosity how do you find the SGS compared to the Conrad (and for that matter SPG Plat compared to HH DIA)?
Second one first. The treatment received as SPG Plat has been far superior to HH Diamond and I will easily keep Plat this year. I liked HH Diamond until recently and there are more HH properties than SPG ones in the places I visit. However, the way they club Diamonds and Golds together for the same treatment really annoys me and helped push me away.The bizarre way I'm Diamond until April 2009 also encouraged me to switch for a year to check SPG out. Having said that I've just stayed in the Conrad in SIN twice in the last week as I'm not fond of the SPG properties there. If only the Stamford was still a Westin...

Bangkok is nightmare for Hotels as there is so much choice. I loved staying at the IC (fabulous lounge!) while I was IC RA a couple of years ago. I do like the Conrad (I know you don't ) but haven't stayed there for 18 months now, mainly due to my switch to SPG. Like you I am a big fan of the SGS and it's become my first choice in BKK, followed closely by the ROS as I like the river location. I'm not struck on the Westin and didn't like the look of the L M Plaza when we went for dinner and drinks a few months ago.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 4:42 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
There are just so many great things about these props.

When I stayed at the LM Athenee, It was right after the transition and I didn't get suite upgrade or lounge access. This prop does require a short walk to the SkyTrain but I wasn't put off by it. I too enjoyed the pool area at this prop.

My staples in BKK are the SGS and WGS. I need to grind and stay at hotel pairs much of the year to requalify. My golden rule is that's it's too easy not to MR this pair. I've stayed a number of times at both.

For me the kickers are the Breakfast Buffet and Pool/Bar area at the SGS.
As for breakfast it's awesome and it open early enough (05:30) for those on the early flights ex-BKK.

When I'm in Thailand I want to feel like I am in a tropical Southeast Asian locale. I'd rather sit outside and have happy hour cocktails at "Sala" than in the very air-conditioned lounge (that was filled with screaming kids on my last stay) at the WGS.

Great upgrades at both properties.

Regards,

Scho
Old Sep 3, 2007, 6:43 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
SGS vs Westin

For those who have said that the rooms at the SGS in Bangkok are tired/dated, you may be interested to know that all the rooms will undego extensive refurbishment from the beginning of next year according to the staff last week.
The SGS really needs it, rooms I have had recently have had stained carpets and scratches on the furniture. Not terrible, but quite noticeable.

If they put in a lounge in the SGS that would probably mean breakfast would be a simple buffet rather than the extensive buffet they have now. I choose between the Westin and SGS partially based on my arrival/departure times, e.g. if I arrive too late to take advantage of the Westin's happy hour I would choose the SGS for that day.

I definitely prefer the room decor at the Westin. Both have good service but my experience is the SGS is slightly better. I prefer the pool at the SGS.

You can't go wrong with either property. Alternate between them and make your own decision. As other have mentioned they are across the street from each other. I would estimate lobby to lobby walking time at 5-7 minutes.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 9:09 pm

Programs: aaexp/4mm and change, starwood platinum
i have not stayed at the westin but i moved to the sgs from the ros about 4 years ago. the ros is ok if you are platinum but the sgs is a very well run hotel and treats it's guests really well. the manager really knows how to run a hotel and he is visible every night he works and if not his assistant is out there. place works as good as it possibly could. i love not being confined to the lounge for cocktail hour and have had friends visit without any charge for their drinks. quite an unexpected benefit. on the other hand i have spent about 200 hundred nights at the sheraton hong kong and have never seen the manager. the one time i was so irate i wanted to speak to him, he would not meet with me and the best i could do was a phone call from his assistant.
wish i could spend those hkg nights at a hotel run like the sgs.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
As I look out my window at 1:30 AM and watch the St R under construction, illegal as it might be and to hell with the residents, it will probably be finished by 2010 (and then be sued).
Just where on Rajadamri is the St Regis being built? I had thought Starwood were just taking over the Four Seasons.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 2:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
No, being built on the next corner from the Four Seasons headed towards Lumpini. There used to be a car sales office here until they knocked it down. Owner will be the same - Mr Pizza.

Just where on Rajadamri is the St Regis being built? I had thought Starwood were just taking over the Four Seasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.