Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:28 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by derpelikan
... can you use the boat and than change to a taxi?
You can take the ROS boat to the Taksin BTS Skytrain station (S6), Silom line. You then transfer at Siam (CS) to the Sukhumvit line. The Sukhumvit train runs down the center of Sukhumvit. BTS/MRT Map Click to enlarge. The ROS is located on the river where it says Si Phraya on that map.

Less complicated is to take a taxi directly from the ROS, but can take ages at rush hours.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Sep 6, 2007 at 12:08 pm Reason: Sorry, I had some bad info here for a few minutes
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
You can take the ROS boat to the Taksin BTS Skytrain station (S6), Silom line. You then transfer at Siam (CS) to the Sukhumvit line.
That's what I do. It's actually called Saphan Taksin.

I have read about the issues with the taxis at the ROS so alternatively you can leave the boat and get one of the numerous taxis waiting at the Shangri-La Krungthep Wing which is right next to it. We did this when we stayed at the Hilton which is on the other side of the river.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:35 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
yep

the problem i have always is that the ROS location is so far from sukuhmvit that i spent usually up to 1hour in the cab during rush hours.

so if i can take the boat and the train to save time this is great news.

still i am hooked with the Conrad BKK since this mistaken deal and have booked all my coming stays there...

dp
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:52 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA

still i am hooked with the Conrad BKK since this mistaken deal and have booked all my coming stays there...

dp
Yes! Funny enough, the Conrad's honoring its mistake rate for the Exec Suite (gorgeous, 3-room suites) for about US$20/night forced me away from SPG, and guess what?
I loved the Conrad--excellent pool, better than any of the SPGs, great gym, updated rooms, and a classy, huge club room. Hard to beat--though the location (even a bit further away from SkyTrain than LeMeridien) is the only slightly negative thing for me.
If I'm going to make my SPG Plat already, I would book the Conrad.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Bangkok traffic is unfortunately notorious, however from the ROS breakfast room you'll see the pier (between the ROS and the small shopping plaza) where you can catch a boat which will take you 1-stop to Saphan Taksin SkyTrain station. Board the train (since this is currently the final stop all trains leave the station only in one direction) and go to Siam Station, I think it's either 4 or 5 stops) and change from the Silom line (it is the only SkyTrain connecting stop) that you've been on to the Sukhumvit line and this will take you to any Sukhumvit destination you desire WITHOUT traffic. Total costs between $1.25-$1.50/person.

which is the fastest option to go to sukumvit from the ROS ?

can you use the boat and than change to a taxi?

dp
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:55 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
ROS -- Bad Experience

I am staying right now at the ROS. I am on an award stay. On arrival was given a 2DB Smoking room. Of course I had requested and confirmed a 1King bed, Non-smoking room. I was told nothing else was available. I understand that room types are not guaranteed for Plats on award stays, but at least one of two preferences would have been nice (note: I was "upgraded" to an SPG room, but it definitely has seen better days).

Yesterday my friend tried to change american money to baht. He was refused as he was attempting to change the "old style" $100 bills.

Last, but not least, the hotel is undergoing renovations. That wasn't mentioned in advance, but on the hotel website it does point it out, but says that guests should not be inconvenienced. Unfortunately I have taken ill (probably shows in the tone of this note), and have been unable to sleep all day due to the renovations next door.

Anyway, proceed with extreme caution if booking this hotel.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 4:51 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
thats the problem

Originally Posted by LAXGreg
I am staying right now at the ROS. I am on an award stay. On arrival was given a 2DB Smoking room. Of course I had requested and confirmed a 1King bed, Non-smoking room. I was told nothing else was available. I understand that room types are not guaranteed for Plats on award stays, but at least one of two preferences would have been nice (note: I was "upgraded" to an SPG room, but it definitely has seen better days).

Yesterday my friend tried to change american money to baht. He was refused as he was attempting to change the "old style" $100 bills.

Last, but not least, the hotel is undergoing renovations. That wasn't mentioned in advance, but on the hotel website it does point it out, but says that guests should not be inconvenienced. Unfortunately I have taken ill (probably shows in the tone of this note), and have been unable to sleep all day due to the renovations next door.

the ROS has very unconistent or non-existent service.

usually as a platinum you get a suite . very calm and renovated.

i would complain until you get a new suite.

dp
Old Sep 15, 2007, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Due to counterfeiting problems, and this is why the US made new billls and taking the old ones out of circulation, many int'l properties won't take "old" greenbacks. They won't even take new greenbacks if there's the slightest tear in the paper.

You mentioned being upgraded to the SPG floor. Were there any non-smokers on the non-SPG floors available?

Old Sep 15, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Does anyone know of a resource that shows a map of the locations of the SPG BKK properties and the two airports? I am interested in booking some stays at properties close to the airports I will arrive at, but I am not familiar enough to know which is which.

Thank you!
Old Sep 15, 2007, 1:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by Wilbur
Does anyone know of a resource that shows a map of the locations of the SPG BKK properties and the two airports? I am interested in booking some stays at properties close to the airports I will arrive at, but I am not familiar enough to know which is which.

Thank you!
sc flier has a great tool for this. http://www.journeysearcher.com/js/st.../HSWNation.kmz
You need to have Google Earth installed. You also need to search for "BKK airport" to add these to the map. It does not look like Google Earth is correctly updated as it calls both airports BKK.

None of the current Starwood properties are close to the airports. They are in the order of 20-25 miles away. In non-rush hour it is 35-50 minutes by taxi (THB 200-350).
Old Sep 16, 2007, 8:58 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
sc flier has a great tool for this. http://www.journeysearcher.com/js/st.../HSWNation.kmz
You need to have Google Earth installed. You also need to search for "BKK airport" to add these to the map. It does not look like Google Earth is correctly updated as it calls both airports BKK.

None of the current Starwood properties are close to the airports. They are in the order of 20-25 miles away. In non-rush hour it is 35-50 minutes by taxi (THB 200-350).
Gracias!
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: aaexp/4mm and change, starwood platinum
just checked into the sgs. i am on an spg50 for a regular room. no problem with the rate or the upgrade. have a two room corner suite with the so-called butler service but do have the free internet, buffet, cocktails and laundry. really does not get any better than this. may not hurt that this is my 11th stay at the hotel. moved here from the ros and like it much better. also something to think about, made it from the airport to the hotel in 30 minutes. sukhumvit is much closer to the airport then the river hotels.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by alankyman
just checked into the sgs. i am on an spg50 for a regular room. no problem with the rate or the upgrade. have a two room corner suite with the so-called butler service but do have the free internet, buffet, cocktails and laundry. really does not get any better than this. may not hurt that this is my 11th stay at the hotel. moved here from the ros and like it much better. also something to think about, made it from the airport to the hotel in 30 minutes. sukhumvit is much closer to the airport then the river hotels.
SGS has upgraded me to a suite on every 10th stay with them. This included the all the things you aren't getting above. I'm guessing this is because you're on the SPG50.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:56 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
To the poster that asked if there were any NS rooms available I didn't ask that question specifically, I just mentioned that I had booked a NS King, and was told that none were available. If it hadn't been midnight after a long flight, and a hard previous couple of days I probably would've pushed more. As it was I just let it go and won't stay there again. Sometime I get tired of having to fight for the most basic things. I think a platinum should always get at least their basic room type, award or no. I believe most hotels would've pre-blocked at least the NS part, if not matching the bedtype.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:10 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
To the poster that asked if there were any NS rooms available I didn't ask that question specifically, I just mentioned that I had booked a NS King, and was told that none were available. If it hadn't been midnight after a long flight, and a hard previous couple of days I probably would've pushed more. As it was I just let it go and won't stay there again. Sometime I get tired of having to fight for the most basic things. I think a platinum should always get at least their basic room type, award or no. I believe most hotels would've pre-blocked at least the NS part, if not matching the bedtype.
If you booked a non-smoking room on your original confirmation and didn't get one, then that is a room-type discrepancy issue and it should be reported to Hotel Customer Service. You can call 800-328-6242 or send an email to them at [email protected].

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.