Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

CLOSED 14Dec16 [BANKRUPT/IN RECEIVERSHIP] Sheraton Brussels, Belgium [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Following the bankruptcy of SBH SPRL, the operator of the Sheraton Brussels Hotel, the property has been forced to close. The hotel will close as of 12 noon on 14th December 2016.
Print Wikipost

CLOSED 14Dec16 [BANKRUPT/IN RECEIVERSHIP] Sheraton Brussels, Belgium [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Same experience here - we were upgraded to a huge 2-Bedroom-Suite with the already very outdated decor (talk about purple-colored tiles and generally a 80th feeling). When checking in I was offered breakfast either in the lounge or the restaurant which we did choose and which was one of the better breakfast buffets in Europe - charge for that showed up on my folio and was removed at checkout without any inquiry. Lounge staff was very nice and also offered drinks after official hours, yet all food was already gone when we made it there. If you are Plat, btw, you do not need to get in line to checkin - your roomkey is held by the concierge, sometimes saving you quite some wait.

Generally a solid hotel, and the large suite I was upgraded to was an extreme plus. Also the location next to the Brussels North station was definetly nice for us since we stayed there before leaving from Brussels airport the next morning. I would return there without any hesitation, especially given the very low rates outside of the EU-sessions...

Greetings - Dirk
Old May 12, 2013, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
The breakfast downstairs is very solid, at least quantity-wise. Some of the dishes ( real quality chocolate spread and not Nutella ) are actually excellent.

The lounge is just blah, the waiters bored to death and the whole atmosphere vintage 1980's

As pointed out before, there are two quality grocery stores a few steps away from the hotel entrance, a baguette, salted butter and some quality cheeses beat the lounge food by a mile. They also offer some sandwiches, salads and sushi.

I do not agree with djohannw regarding the 1980's feeling of the suites, for me it is more like the 1970's, the Bee Gees&Travolta. A 1980's feel would actually be a huge step forward.

The rooms are newer and really spacious, they claim to have the largest rooms in all of Brussels and the statement would probably hold for all of Europe, ~35-40 sqm.

Depending on the view out of the suite, I prefer the rooms with a view right 'over' the Hilton and the botanical gardens these days, most of the suites are just a disgrace for the brand.

The LM is a much more upscale, more like a boutique property, their rooms and especially their suites are significantly (!) smaller, though. Everything else however is more upmarket, far less touristy and more Belgium.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:07 pm
Suspended

The property continues to deteriorate and did not upgrade myself and several members of another forum dedicated to business travel to suites automatically over the last couple of months. Suite upgrades were granted after checking back at the front desk in all but one case, personally four stays were affected so far this year.

At this point, I would advise to check back at the FD for weekend stays in case you did not receive a suite, on weekdays suite availability is a different ball game.

Aside from that, the quality of food in the afternoon reached an all-time low recently, when they run out of potato chips...and only served olives and tortilla chips (without any sauce or dip...) after 7.30 p.m.

In their main restaurant downstairs, the egg station is gone for weekend mornings and the quality of the buffet breakfast is nothing more than solid, many warm dishes are cold due to an inefficient set up of heaters, bowls and dishes. As a guest staying on the club floor, one has the option to have breakfast downstairs or in the club lounge.

Major construction still ongoing in front of the hotel, the Carrefour and Delhaize grocery stores a stone throw away and in the same complex are open until 8 p.m.

Aside from that, the suites are still a flashback into the 1970's and are really worth a visit.

I am not kidding, but you will probably never ever see anything comparable again, while staying at a SPG property, we are taking about vintage 1970's tiles that are actually a nice difference.

As pointed out before, the LM is the better hotel, but continues to be more expensive and has significantly less suites available for upgrades.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:12 pm
Original Member

Wonderful Stay here

Just finishing up a 5 nights on points stay here at the Sheraton. I had 5 leftover SNA, so applied them on the award stay, and 5 days out I received notice that we were upgraded to a 2 BR suite. The only hiccup during our stay was that no one was at the front waiting to bring in our luggage upon arrival. They were very efficient checking us in, letting me know breakfast was included with our room and I could also get the 500 point amenity. Room was dated as mentioned previously, but really fun.
The lounge staff were lovely, and we made a meal out the offerings a few times. Tonight they had an assortment of huge sandwiches (including salmon), samosas, quiche, fried shrimp, plus cheese, bread, veggies, crispy snacks and olives. Beer, wine and soft drinks as well.
Breakfast in the restaurant is fine. Your waiter takes all egg orders, and they have a great assortment of hot foods, plus fruit cold cuts, cheese, smoothies and juices, pastries and breads. All good. Highly recommend this hotel.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gabbysz
The lounge staff were lovely, and we made a meal out the offerings a few times. Tonight they had an assortment of huge sandwiches (including salmon), samosas, quiche, fried shrimp, plus cheese, bread, veggies, crispy snacks and olives. Beer, wine and soft drinks as well.
Breakfast in the restaurant is fine. Your waiter takes all egg orders, and they have a great assortment of hot foods, plus fruit cold cuts, cheese, smoothies and juices, pastries and breads. All good. Highly recommend this hotel.
Just a quick update here. This is one of the Starwood properties in Europe that offers different food in the lounge and for breakfast downstairs depending on the weekday, the Sheraton Essen is another one.

On weekdays, when the yields are significantly higher, you will a significantly nicer selection of food in the lounge and in the restaurant downstairs, the eggstation is not available on (most) weekends and in the lounge, the buffet in the evening normally does not come close to anything, which could be called a dinner.

I assume one cannot call tortilla chips without dip and olives a (full) meal.

A sad trend since some years now, obviously some hotels found a way to circumvent the new rules re. opening times for lounges
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:11 pm
Original Member

I agree the egg station was not manned either on the weekend or weekdays. But there is a rather large sign on display stating you may order eggs to order. Both on the weekend and weekdays, a waiter took our order and within a few minutes we received omelettes the size of our heads, crispy bacon, pork sausages and grilled tomatoes, as stated on the sign.
The lounge staff were fantastic, on the weekend, when I asked for Coke Zero, they sent down for some, and refilled the samosas for us, as well as all the cheese platters. We only had to ask. Of course, should they have done this as part of their job? Yes. But I suspect, they are only told to refill as needs require. They also produced a lovely tiny little mousse cup for my daughter. Just charming. And i have seen the same men for 6 days. Just sayin'
Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Asiana Club Dmnd (*G), AA plat, Alitalia FA, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, HGP Dmnd, HH Dmnd
I've stayed here on the weekend and unless I'm mistaken, I think they serve breakfast until 2pm for those who really want to lie in. The only problem with this is that although the breakfast is available until that time, they don't replace any of the items so most of the selection gets really stale - especially the hot food and breads.

I agree that the drinks selection in the lounge isn't great and the snacks available when I was there were minimal. It's Brussels so eating out is a must anyway.

Regarding the suites some of them really are in the 1970s - especially the weird kitchens (that have not utensils etc). However, I think some of them a slightly more updated than others so if the nostalgia isn't your thing, do ask if the suite you've been allocated is newer or older. I have stayed here 3 times and been upgraded to a suite without SNA each time.

Incidentally, one of the agents at check-in told me there are unconfirmed plans to completely renovate in the next couple of years.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:54 am

Sheraton Brussels (Place Rogier) Club Lounge

Going here for work and this is the closest Sheraton.
Has anyone stayed here recently, does the Club Lounge offer anything in the evening apart from drinks and peanuts?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
IMO, inferior offerings in this club lounge...there are sone low-quality snacks offered from 6PM till 8PM - often not replentished on top of this.

Apart from those hours, you will find some peanuts and bananas
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: SPG Plat100, BAEC Silver, M&M FTL, Friend of Laphroaig
Quite poor lounge to be honest (I stayed there whole last week). Simple breakfast options (no hot items). In the evening options are quite limited - 1 or 2 hot snacks, few cold items. Almost nothing left by 7PM.

On par with most lounges in US properties I've been to, far below the level of good lounges in Europe (I'm in Sheraton Westpark Munich right now and the lounge is excellent).

Last edited by MRPH; Apr 4, 2014 at 5:02 am
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
And don't forget the sliced carrots and cucumbers, haha
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Gafias
Going here for work and this is the closest Sheraton.
Has anyone stayed here recently, does the Club Lounge offer anything in the evening apart from drinks and peanuts?
You don't mention, but have you read whats in the Master Thread? Sheraton Brussels, Belgium, 2008 onward [Master Thread]

That last few posts in the master thread discuss the lounge offerings.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
recent stay

I'm staying for 5 nights here. Flight is delayed for one day, so checked-in next day morning. Since it was pre-paid (72EUR/day), I could not complain. Received a onebed suite, which I stayed 4 years ago and still same! only it just became 4 years older. Very humble room condition. Breakfast is still available in the restaurant, but there are too many group travelers. I went to the restaurant on 6:33am, but the door was closed and a lot of line to be entered. Once the door was open, it was a real mess. All the seats are occupied immediately, and long long line to have an item. Food quality is so so, but it got worse comparing 4 years ago. Lounge has some finger foods in evening hours with wines and beverages. Didn't use much, so no big complains.

Staffs are all kind and courteous, but the property itself needs renovation definitely. It became a cheap tourist hotel for the group of tourists.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:19 pm

FD person did not mention about club lounge, parking, breakfast things, place of the lift... anything before I asked. Nothing
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cozysuite
FD person did not mention about club lounge, parking, breakfast things, place of the lift... anything before I asked. Nothing
Pretty normal experience, the Sheraton Brussels employs some of the most unmotivated staff members systemwide. They simply do not care, even if they work the Plat line. It is amazing that some folks there need 5 minutes to check you in.

Originally Posted by OneWorldTraveller
I'm staying for 5 nights here. Flight is delayed for one day, so checked-in next day morning. Since it was pre-paid (72EUR/day), I could not complain. Received a onebed suite, which I stayed 4 years ago and still same! only it just became 4 years older. Very humble room condition. Breakfast is still available in the restaurant, but there are too many group travelers. I went to the restaurant on 6:33am, but the door was closed and a lot of line to be entered. Once the door was open, it was a real mess. All the seats are occupied immediately, and long long line to have an item. Food quality is so so, but it got worse comparing 4 years ago. Lounge has some finger foods in evening hours with wines and beverages. Didn't use much, so no big complains.

It became a cheap tourist hotel for the group of tourists.
As pointed out before, we are actually talking about two different hotels here.

On weekends, it is indeed a relatively cheap tourist hotel with reduced service levels tailored to the needs of bus tourists. On weekdays, it is quite different with more business travelers paying a 300% premium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.