Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

CLOSED 14Dec16 [BANKRUPT/IN RECEIVERSHIP] Sheraton Brussels, Belgium [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Following the bankruptcy of SBH SPRL, the operator of the Sheraton Brussels Hotel, the property has been forced to close. The hotel will close as of 12 noon on 14th December 2016.
Print Wikipost

CLOSED 14Dec16 [BANKRUPT/IN RECEIVERSHIP] Sheraton Brussels, Belgium [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2008, 7:07 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by BlindPilot
Nice report.

I stayed there for one night recently. The concierge person I dealt with was very nice (Natalie) was super nice. Got upgraded to a similar suite as the OP (photo).

Lounge was stocked with complimentary Stella Artois. ^
Thanks! Indeed, seems you had a similar suite!
Old Sep 30, 2008, 6:49 pm

Programs: US Air, AA, starwood gold, hilton gold, priority club
Sheraton Brussels Hotel Review

I stayed here for two nights in September and would definitely stay again. I was not upgraded, but I did ask for a rennovated room and it was large and pleasant, with two comfortable double beds. We used a cash and points rate and it was a true bargain.
We arrived by train from Germany and we got off at the Brussels Nord Station (One station prior to the main station, I think) and walked out toward the sign that said Place Rogier, and saw the hotel in the distance. I would say the walk took about 5 minutes. We each had rolling suitcases, and it was no problem. We arrived in the afternoon on a Sunday and the street as you walk to the hotel was dead to the world--no traffic, stores and restaurants closed, etc. But once you got to the actual hotel, it was easy to find some open restaurants.

Check in was a breeze and there were a number of people arriving--it seems that the hotel is big on conferences. We ate that night at the Brussels Grill, next to the hotel which was the only place we found nearby that was low-priced and simple. It was packed with all sorts of people, and the service was good.

The next afternoon we took a walk to the main attractions of Brussels and were awed by the Grote Markt, or Grand Place, which was amazing. The walk from the hotel took about 10 minutes, and although you walk by a few seedy looking dives, it looked quite safe, so we went back in the evening to see the place in lights and found a cheap and delicious place to eat that was right off the main square called EXKI, which seems to be a chain of natural, fresh food that you can take to go on a tray. You do not eat inside--they have outdoor tables on a small parklike side square--and we took our soups and quiches to sit there and had front row seats to hear a talented (British) guitarist/folk singer who played an hour long concert of all sorts of "oldies" such as Beatles, Dylan, James Taylor, etc--and he drew a large following.

One thing we liked about this hotel, by the way, was the free internet use on public computers in the lobby.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 4:48 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I stayed here for 3 nights last week, my second stay in a few years. On both ocassions I've been upgraded to a suite on the club floor, similar to that shown in the reviewers pictures. I really don't care for a dated suite like this, I'd rather a smaller more updated room. I'm not sure if there is anything like that in the hotel, maybe I should ask for a downgrade next time? Overall, my room was dated and really showing wear. I usually stay for the sweet sleeper bed, as many other hotels in Brussels that I have tried have terrible beds.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 6:38 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Hanlgt
The walk from the hotel took about 10 minutes, and although you walk by a few seedy looking dives
There are 2 parallel roads, just a few metres apart, that you can walk down from the hotel to the Grand Place : the one on the right, the main road, does indeed pass by several seedy shops and clubs, but the other, on the left, runs down the pedestrianised main shopping street, past the big INNO store, and is a much more wholesome experience.

Originally Posted by stephem
I really don't care for a dated suite like this, I'd rather a smaller more updated room. I'm not sure if there is anything like that in the hotel, maybe I should ask for a downgrade next time? Overall, my room was dated and really showing wear.
Agreed. The suites (which I think are on floor 25 and above) are huge, but badly laid out (enormous living room with furniture seemingly flung to the walls, but the bedroom is way too small) and dated (dig that 70's tiled bathroom) : I prefer a club room (floors 18 to 24) too.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Nov 11, 2008 at 2:27 am
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
.........but the bedroom is way too small and dated (dig that 70's tiled bathroom) :

I've no idea what you mean by that
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:40 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Is that the toilet or the sink?
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Is that the toilet or the sink?
Thanks to FlyingOnceMore for posting a picture of the sink in the 2nd toilet in our suite from the weekend. The picture doesn't do the whole visual experience justice!

Anyway, back from a stay at the Sheraton Brussels over the weekend. Upgraded to a 1 bed apartment suite which is rather large, but also a bit 1970s with the decor. However a nice enough room, a good location and excellent service from the staff at the hotel. Will definitely stay here again if in Brussels in the future.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I'm finishing up a stay at the Sheraton Brussels for a quick weekend jaunt (mostly to eat some good food). My UA flight arrived about 40 minutes early. By the time I got past customs, took the train to Nord, and walked a few minutes to the hotel (you can't miss it), it was 8am.

I checked my reservation the night before, and saw that I was upgraded to a King bed on the Club Floor. When I checked in, the front desk staff told me that I had been upgraded to a one bedroom suite on the Club Floor and it was available immediately. Sweet! I was also given an Platinum amenity offer - I took the points, which explains why I didn't receive anything in my room after I checked in.

As others described, I found the suite to be outdated (from the 70's), but actually well maintained. My bathroom tile was a funky orange. However the sink area was renovated and is now a white marble. The suite also has enough closet space that it took me several minutes to find the safe. I actually called down to the front desk to inquire if there was a safe in my room - they told me to "keep looking". Haha. When I found it (it was in the closet near the connecting door), it was a pretty good size.

I was a rather disappointed with the Club Lounge. It offered more of a continental breakfast in the mornings. As a new Hilton transplant, I was expecting some hot breakfast items. However, they had boiled eggs, which was good enough. I might take a look downstairs tomorrow morning to check out the restaurant (26 Euros). The Lounge is unmanned after breakfast (including the evenings), and the Sheraton gives you a separate Lounge key to use. Soft drinks and water are available throughout the day. Again, I was expecting more items in the evenings. It was limited to chips, nuts, cookies, tea, coffee, soda, and such. Well, tonight they put out some huge prawns that were quite good. However, the staff only put out 4, so I refrained from taking more.

As far as booze, it was another disappointment. Don't ask me why - I rarely drink. They put out a red and white wine. Stella Artois beer was put in the fridge with the soft drinks. Which meant a total of 4 beers were in the fridge. Needless to say, they ran out fast. No hard liquor either. I'd have to say the Executive Lounge at the Hilton Brussels across town is much better.

Aside from the food, there were two computers for people to use, and wifi was free. As my room was near the lounge, I was able to access the Lounge's internet from my room.

The gym is kinda nice on the top (30th) floor. Showers and lockers are available. Good selection of weight machines and free weights. And four treadmills (the only torture machine I was interested in).

All in all, while not central, the location was pretty good. It's within walking distance to the center of town. Proximity to Nord station is a plus, and is right on top of Place Rogier metro. Lounge disappointments aside (and I'm okay with the retro suite), I'd definitely stay here in the future.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I guess this hotel isn't that popular with Flyertalkers? I stay here from time to time and just got the best upgrade I've ever had here. A huge apartment suite with a mini-kitchen, right next to the Club. Not bad and super cheap for a central Europe Sheraton.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:00 pm

Just finishing up a second stay at this property, and thought I should post an update, since things have changed in a couple of significant ways.

Upgrades: I booked a standard room including minibar, movies, and internet in the rate. As platinum, I received a room on a Club Floor (19th). I will note that the last time I stayed here, I received the same level of upgrade.

Lounge: The lounge has now moved to the first floor, and is a converted conference room. I don't know if this change is permanent, but it is not as nice as the lounge on the 26th floor. More importantly, when I previously stayed here, a complimentary breakfast was provided in the lounge. This has been replaced by a cold buffet charged at the extortionate rate of EUR 26.50 a person. This is important to note, since many people visiting the lounge might think that the breakfast is included with lounge access, since there is no sign, menu, or attendant that will inform you otherwise until after you've sat down and started eating. (Yes, this happened to us) I figured that there was some sort of charge, based on the extensiveness of the offerings when compared to those provided during the happy hour, but I didn't think it would be THAT much. It is most certainly NOT worth EUR 26.50.

Food: A very pleasant surprise. I had not eaten in the hotel when I stayed there before, but had a chance to try the burgers, club sandwich, and lasagne on this last stay. All the food I had at this hotel was excellent and far exceeded my expecatations. I can't imagine that you could have a bad meal here. Furthermore, for hotel food, the prices were actually pretty reasonable (except for breakfast) and certainly commensurate with the food quality.

SOAP: Thought I'd single this one out given the recent thread about one vs. two bars of soap as part of the amenity offerings. We intially received only one bar, if anyone cares. However, another one was given on the second day, and we then used both throughout the rest of the stay.

Last edited by kuroneko; Aug 19, 2009 at 3:05 pm
Old Sep 21, 2009, 1:14 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by kuroneko

Lounge: The lounge has now moved to the first floor, and is a converted conference room. I don't know if this change is permanent, but it is not as nice as the lounge on the 26th floor. More importantly, when I previously stayed here, a complimentary breakfast was provided in the lounge. This has been replaced by a cold buffet charged at the extortionate rate of EUR 26.50 a person. This is important to note, since many people visiting the lounge might think that the breakfast is included with lounge access, since there is no sign, menu, or attendant that will inform you otherwise until after you've sat down and started eating. (Yes, this happened to us) I figured that there was some sort of charge, based on the extensiveness of the offerings when compared to those provided during the happy hour, but I didn't think it would be THAT much. It is most certainly NOT worth EUR 26.50.
I wrote to the hotel about the breakfast in the lounge and got the following response:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

Our Club Lounge is open everyday from 7 till 23 hour.

The breakfast is free for our Platinum members and it's served at the
Lounge from 7 till 11 o'clock in the morning."
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by kuroneko
Lounge: The lounge has now moved to the first floor, and is a converted conference room. I don't know if this change is permanent
Not permanent. The lounge on the 25th floor is open as normal. Here now enjoying my free plat breakfast.

There has been a change, however, since my last visit : the club reception desk at the entrance to the lounge has closed, so elites now have to check in and out in the lobby with everyone else. Entry to the lounge in the evenings is via a keycard lock.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 3:10 am

Programs: *G, SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Not permanent. The lounge on the 25th floor is open as normal. Here now enjoying my free plat breakfast.

There has been a change, however, since my last visit : the club reception desk at the entrance to the lounge has closed, so elites now have to check in and out in the lobby with everyone else. Entry to the lounge in the evenings is via a keycard lock.
Me too.. right now
Old Sep 24, 2009, 3:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by leo-chan
Me too.. right now
You'll be able to spot Oxon Flyer if he is still there. He's the one casually placing the free pots of jam into his bag
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:13 am

This should probably be mentioned under the hotel's "Special Conditions" on the SPG website. But since they don't tell you, I will.

There are currently construction works in front of the Brussels Sheraton. And they start drilling at 7am. So if you want to sleep longer than that, avoid this hotel or make sure to get a room at the back of the hotel (away from the square). (Stayed there 2 nights this week...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.