Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

CLOSED 14Dec16 [BANKRUPT/IN RECEIVERSHIP] Sheraton Brussels, Belgium [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Following the bankruptcy of SBH SPRL, the operator of the Sheraton Brussels Hotel, the property has been forced to close. The hotel will close as of 12 noon on 14th December 2016.
Print Wikipost

CLOSED 14Dec16 [BANKRUPT/IN RECEIVERSHIP] Sheraton Brussels, Belgium [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've never tried that Marriott, but yes the Sheraton is a short walk from the north train station. However to me the best choice for a short tourist visit would be the former Le Meridien which is now a Hilton. Or the Novotel which is right next to the Hilton. Both are next to the central train station and next to the central tourist sites.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
We stayed at the Sheraton early this year and it was even for us no trouble walking to the tourist sites such as the Grand Place.I had a knee replacement last year and mrsdrron had broken both of her ankles so neither of us is very fast in the walking department.
Our only problem was at the lounge happy hour.A large family of 3 persons would descend every time a new batch of food was put out and devour the lot.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Enjoyed Brussels Sheraton Stay

Wife and I had a 4 day stay at this hotel last week. Our purpose was vacation, visiting museums

We like the location. Even though we are retired and in our late sixties, we found it an easy walk, down a shopping street (closed to traffic), to the tourist attractions and restaurants around the Grand Place.

A one block easy walk to Brussels Nord rail station made for easy access to transportation to visit Bruges on one occasion and Antwerp on another.

For once the SPG line a check-in worked for us and check-in was fast and efficient.

August is a very slow month for hotels in Brussels. We paid 87 euros a night and used SNAs to upgrade. We were put into an "apartment" on the same floor as the club (Floor 25). It was indeed an apartment, with: two bedrooms (one very large with a king bed, the other a reasonable size with a queen bed); two full bathrooms and a half bath (together with a sort of walk in closet); a full kitchen with stove and full size refrigerator; a large "L" shaped living area with a office area with desk, a dining area with a full sized dining table and 4 chairs, and a large living area with a large flat screen TV and two couches. The rooms had a panoramic view of the cenral area of Brussels. However the apartment was dated in terms of the furniture, the bathroom fittings etc. The carpet appeared to be relatively new and the beds seemed new. Despite this my wife loved the space and it worked well for us.

The hotel seems to be in the midst of a gradual renovation. Not clear that any more rooms are being renovated right now but renovation was going on Floor 1.

There was significant construction going on in Place Rogier in front of the hotel with some sort of large circular steel edifice being welded and sand blasted. Very noisy outside the hotel and some disruption of traffic flows... however even though our room overlooked the construction we could not hear the noise.

I thought the Platinum recognition was excellent. We were given free breakfast each day (as well as getting my 500 points). We were told we could have our breakfast in the club lounge or the main restaurant. Based on our previous visit a few years back we chose the restaurant. At one point they sent a bottle of wine to the room which we declined as we do not drink alcohol when travelling. Not clear why the bottle was sent but they put 2,500 star points onto my account (labeled goodwill or some such thing) after we turned down the bottle.

The lounge was a good source for fresh fruit, water, mineral water, a nice array of sodas and juices, and several different kinds of yogurt at all times. Often there was a bowl of excellent crusty bread and soft cheeses available and an espresso machine. The evening offering seemed much more like an American Sheraton lounge than a European, with lots of nibbles, raw veges cut up, a small selection of dips (humus for example), and the hot dishes limited to small fried pastry pockets etc.(actually the few times I stopped by the club in the evening most of the hot food was gone). The main attraction in the lounge at night seemed to be two small keg based draft beer dispensers that got a lot of action.

The restaurant was being renovated and a temporary restaurant was set up in the hotel ballroom with: two espresso machines; scrambled eggs; hardboiled eggs; sausages; bacon; potatoes; baked beans; grilled tomatoes; crepes (yummy when fresh); waffles (not so great); about 10 different cold cuts including jambon; smoked salmon; about 8 different cheeses; a huge array of breads and pastries; fresh squeezed orange juice and 4 other juices.

If the Le Meridien was still SPG we probably would have stayed there as we loved our previous stay at that hotel, but we were very happy with our stay at the Brussels Sheraton and would stay there next time was are in Brussels.

Last edited by nonesuch flyer; Sep 3, 2015 at 8:53 am Reason: correct typo
Old May 26, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life, Air Canada 75K, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Perfect stay at the Sheraton Brussels

I recently completed a four-night stay at the Sheraton Brussels. While the hotel is very dated, I found the service levels consistently high with all staff with whom I interacted.

I checked my reservation a few days before my arrival and noted that I had been proactively upgraded to a one bedroom apartment. (I had reserved a king bed room on the Club floor.)

Check-in was smooth. I used the SPG Gold/Platinum lane and was offered 500 bonus points. As the Club lounge would not be serving breakfast on Sunday or Monday, I was advised to have breakfast in the first floor restaurant on those days, and have breakfast in the Club lounge on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The room was large, clean, comfortable, but definitely in need of an update as the decor looked what I can only summarize as "Sheraton Classic Circa 1982". There were 1.5 bathrooms, a very large living room with a desk and dining table, and a small kitchenette. There was ample closet space in the living room and in the hallway leading to the bedroom. Water pressure was excellent and there was plenty of hot water.

On Sunday and Monday mornings I went to the first floor restaurant for breakfast. The restaurant had a good selection of eggs, pancakes, meats, cold cuts, cheeses, baked breads, cereals, and yogurts. I found the smoked salmon to be particularly good. While there was little need for waitstaff, I found the staff to be proactive in offering coffee and tea, as well as extra napkins.

The in-room refrigerator was empty but there were directions on how to use my room key to purchase drinks and snacks from the vending machine by the elevators. Over the course of four nights, I managed to eat a chocolate dipped waffle each day ("When in Belgium...") and purchase some soft drinks. I don't recall the prices other than I found them reasonable -- I think that a full sized can of Coke Zero was 2 Euro. My chocolate dipped waffles were quite large and only 1.50 Euro.

The lounge was pleasant enough with complimentary water and soft drinks all day, newspapers, and a library of paperbacks. On Tuesday and Wednesday I had breakfast in the lounge. The was a smaller selection of juices, cereals, cold cuts, and baked products than in the restaurant, but it was all refreshed from time to time during the morning. Eggs any style were available for the asking.

Check out was quick on Wednesday morning. Without my asking, the front desk clerk informed me that he would be removing the charges for breakfast on Sunday and Monday, and all internet charges. (Rather than use the free internet, I upgraded to the premium so I could watch episodes of The Night Manager on iTunes.)

The bellman walked me to a nearby taxi instead of pointing me in the right direction, which I found very helpful and attentive.

Once this Sheraton is renovated, if the service levels remain as consistent and warm, I expect that it will be my favorite hotel in Brussels. I can overlook a lot of dated furniture as long as the room and public areas are clean and tended-to, and the staff is warm and welcoming.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AmericanMontrealer
Once this Sheraton is renovated,
15 years old discussion....
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Just read the sad news that Sheraton Brussels is almost bankrupt and went to court today for that reason.. sad news!

http://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/2087...n-schuldeisers (in Dutch)
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by arjen05
Just read the sad news that Sheraton Brussels is almost bankrupt and went to court today for that reason.. sad news!

http://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/2087...n-schuldeisers (in Dutch)
To be exact: the company went to court to be protected under the so called "WCO" which is nothing more than the Belgian version of the Chapter 11. This is a measure in order to prevent a bankruptcy.

The Sheraton Brussels is obviously not in a healthy financial condition but let's hope they can realise a turn around.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:54 am

Thanks for clarifying!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Epicura
The Sheraton Brussels is obviously not in a healthy financial condition but let's hope they can realise a turn around.
First Meridien than Sheraton...

SPG is not lucky in Brussels
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Brussels is a tough town. There aren't many decent hotel properties and building new is nearly impossible. It is a European capital that has more business travel than tourism and what tourism they had dried up after the terrorist attacks.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: EY Gold - CX Silver
Originally Posted by Epicura
To be exact: the company went to court to be protected under the so called "WCO" which is nothing more than the Belgian version of the Chapter 11. This is a measure in order to prevent a bankruptcy.
There are however may differences between the Belgian and US protection laws. The Belgian rules position the company a lot closer to bankruptcy.

I recently stayed in this hotel. The whole 90's atmosphere is impossible to ignore. The rooms and most general areas basically scream 'please refurbish me'.

It does seem that the occupancy is still very good so no idea what is going to happen.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by janbrubel
There are however may differences between the Belgian and US protection laws. The Belgian rules position the company a lot closer to bankruptcy.

I recently stayed in this hotel. The whole 90's atmosphere is impossible to ignore. The rooms and most general areas basically scream 'please refurbish me'.

It does seem that the occupancy is still very good so no idea what is going to happen.
I would think your occupancy statement is correct: they appear to be busy but it seems to be on the basis of tour groups and consequent wafer-thin margins.
I had an overnight here last week and it does have that70s/80s feel ( but I knew that from previous stays).
The location is good: right next to Metro Rogier and an easy 5 minute stroll to Gare Du Nord.
The lounge has reopened after a period of closure: why it was closed is not clear as it has not been renovated. It's small: 10 tables but quite reasonable continental breakfast and evening snacks/bar.
I hope it survives.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:45 pm

Leaving Starwood on December 31, 2016
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:38 pm

Seriously? So it is going to be rebranded? It cannot stay a Sheraton outside of Starwood, can it? And Starwood's corporate offices based on the higher floors (20st and higher I believe), what is going to happen? Just curious
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by arjen05
And Starwood's corporate offices based on the higher floors (20st and higher I believe), what is going to happen? Just curious
See :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post27496535

With the finances of this property being in a parlous state, the loss of the corporate offices was probably the final nail.

Sad news, I guess there's quite a few other FTers too with fond memories of this place.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Dec 10, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.