Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

What can the Front Desk people see when you check in? (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What can the Front Desk people see when you check in? (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2009, 4:58 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
I have a related question, for which this thread seems as good as starting a new one.

When booking a suite as an award, what are the rules?
1) Can they put you into the lowest category if they wish? Can they get away with putting you in a junior suite?
2) Are they obliged to put your in the premium-type suites if available?

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Sana'a, and booked suites for 3 of my 4 nights (I did so when it was a cat 1, and thus a trivial extra number of points). When I checked in, I was told something to the effect that I was given a junior suite. On my last night, I point-blank asked for the best possible suite they had, and what they gave me was the exact same type of suite, only on a newly refurbished floor.

As I was only Gold, I suppose the extra points made a difference. But a Plat would have presumably little motivation to book a suite at a hotel that doesn't sell them out, if they would wind up with the exact same type of suite that they could get by being upgraded from a normal room.
The T&Cs for Plat upgrades is the best available room at check in including select suites. I would say this applies regardless of the type of room you book. Of course some hotels might be generous and go above and beyond if you initially book a suite but there is no obligation to do so. Maybe the suite you booked was classed as a junior suite.

Recently I used points to book a suite for an upcoming stay. As a Plat, I may have been upgraded to the suite without the extra points, but on this stay I don't want to take the gamble. I don't expect they will upgrade me any further, in fact I will be surprised if they do. I do know I will get a suite and it seems good value for the amount of points paid.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 9:25 pm

Last week in NYC...

ME : Good afternoon, I would like to check in please. The surname is XXXXXX
FD (smiling and reading off the screen): Welcome back Delightful Lady , we missed you

They keep notes,so watch out
They read FlyerTalk.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:26 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
I have a related question, for which this thread seems as good as starting a new one.

When booking a suite as an award, what are the rules?
1) Can they put you into the lowest category if they wish? Can they get away with putting you in a junior suite?
2) Are they obliged to put your in the premium-type suites if available?

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Sana'a, and booked suites for 3 of my 4 nights (I did so when it was a cat 1, and thus a trivial extra number of points). When I checked in, I was told something to the effect that I was given a junior suite. On my last night, I point-blank asked for the best possible suite they had, and what they gave me was the exact same type of suite, only on a newly refurbished floor.

As I was only Gold, I suppose the extra points made a difference. But a Plat would have presumably little motivation to book a suite at a hotel that doesn't sell them out, if they would wind up with the exact same type of suite that they could get by being upgraded from a normal room.

Every property has a specific suite category that they will book you into for points (if they are willing to do that at all, which most are.)

This is an area where you can realize outstanding value for SPG points spent in certain properties, or receive appallingly bad value in others.

For example: At the Westin Palace in Madrid, for an extra 2500 pts per night, they will book you into a "junior" suite which is double the size of a standard room and in most respects a "real" suite. Fantastic value, and I can't imagine not doing that now that I know the possibility exists. At the Westin Copley Place in Boston, on the other hand, for 12000 EXTRA points, they will book you into a junior suite which is only about 100 sq feet larger than the standard rooms. Furthermore, they have over 100 of these "suites," they are nothing special, and you are likely to get one as a Plat upgrade anyway.

Luckily, if you call the Plat concierge they will be able to tell you which room type you will get booked into if you are willing to pay extra points for a suite. Call them, ask, and decide accordingly.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:17 am

front desk knows your point balance

I just returned from a 2 week stay in China. At 3 of the properties I stayed at my point balance was either mentioned at check in or on my "greetings" letter within my room, along with a list of "instant awards" I could use my points for.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:42 pm

When I checked in for a stay using Free Weekend Night awards, the "Welcome Desk" clerk (it was a W) actually wrote my Starpoint balance on my keyholder.

I'm not sure if this is a new thing, something to do with W's StarGuest tracking system, or just a slight misinterpretation of a policy like “on an award stay, write the number of Starpoints instead of the rate”. In any case, the hotel definitely had access to my Starpoints balance. Which makes sense if they offer Instant Awards.

(I also had this happen at a Holiday Inn once, with IHG's version of points, on a paid stay. Maybe it's a new hospitality industry fad?)

The back of the keyholder had this information about StarGuest:

We want you to feel at home at W Hotels, and for each stay to be more wonderful than the last. To help do this, W has created the StarGuest Recognition system. How it works is simple. Whenever we learn what you want and when you want it, with your consent we may make note of it. Our goal is to personalize your future visits.

Of course, if you would prefer us not to collect your preferences, simply inform us when we tell you about the program, or inform the Welcome Desk at any time. We do encourage you to share your preferences however. With your help, we can better anticipate your needs and make your W Hotel experiences special.

If you would like information on W Hotel's privacy practices, you may view our privacy statement at www.starwoodhotels.com, or call our privacy information line at 1-877-782-0071.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:15 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Delightful Lady
ME : Good afternoon, I would like to check in please. The surname is XXXXXX
FD (smiling and reading off the screen): Welcome back Delightful Lady , we missed you

They keep notes,so watch out
They read FlyerTalk.
Yes, and *W keeps a database of FT handles, real names and SPG numbers.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 4:19 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Yes, and *W keeps a database of FT handles, real names and SPG numbers.
And how would they know that info if you do not disclose your real name and SPG # on FT?
Old Sep 27, 2009, 6:13 am

Programs: SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kitsura
And how would they know that info if you do not disclose your real name and SPG # on FT?
over your head
Old Sep 27, 2009, 6:45 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Of course you need to disclose it. By joining the SPG advisory community, by asking on of the lurkers for help or by whatever else you do to disclose your identity.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by gym99
over your head
Nice death note reference.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

usually everything from the shoulders and up.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 5:05 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
The W MPLS knew it was my birthday for a stay this weekend (before presenting a driver's license at the Welcome Desk). I do not recall making a note of it on the reservation, either. Blew me away.

Oh, and got a nice suite upgrade too
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:19 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Nice death note reference.
That is so cool... so who is "L" over here...

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by shazbot
Actually, how does using points factor into the upgrade 'attractiveness' for a hotel? As in if I use 12000 pts/night at a property vs. another plat paying $150 or $200 for the same standard room, are we treated as equals and on a first come first serve basis?
The best upgrades I have ever received were on points or free nights.

Cheers,
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:54 pm

Programs: SPG*P, AA*1MM, UA*1P, Hilton*D, Hyatt*D, Sixt*P, Hertz*P, Avis*F, Delta*G
spg vip?

i just came back from LM cancun.
when i had a conversation with the concierge, i accidently look through her papers when she had to receive a phone call.
to my shock, i found out they (property) have massive amounts of personal information.

1. occupation.
2. spg status
spg (p), spg (g), spg (p), no status, spg (vip)
3. points
4. upgrade order.
5. prior visit
6. a couple of options what she can offer.......

ok, what is spg (vip) ?????
spg property owner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.