Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Krabi, Thailand [Master Thread] (left July 1, 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Leaving Starwood on July 1, 2015

The Sheraton Krabi Beach Resort will be leaving the Starwood system on July 1, 2015. Reservations for dates on or after July 1, 2015, will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual.
Print Wikipost

[GONE] Sheraton Krabi, Thailand [Master Thread] (left July 1, 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2003, 6:05 am

Programs: BA, LH, BD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sydfly:

Thanks for your report, tfong007. Has anyone else stayed there recently and can comment on the beach? On the website it says "500m of pristine white sand beach frontage" which certainly sounds better than "muddy beach with dead coral". What's the beach like? Is it fine sand or stony? We've been to Phuket and had such a muddy beach and it was horrible. Not only is there no way to swim as you could walk on the muddy, slippery ground into the water for several hundred meteres without getting water on much more than your feet, it also stinks like hell and was no pleasure at all.

Also regarding the Club room: How is the breakfast selection in the morning (cold/hot dishes)? What about dinner drinks at night? Any insight would help.

</font>
i haven't stayed at this place - but yes Krabi has fine white sand beach - but when you get in the water it's muddy- and rocky ,
you can only really swim when the tide is in, further along the beach it's not as bad.

but there are places close by that are amazing - just get a boat to take you there. these are the pics you will see of Krabi - never of the beach infront, but on the close islands. there is one with a long stretch of sand about 5m wide that has cristal clear water on both sides.
Krabi - is not nearly as pretty as Kho Phi Phi, but if you like rock climbing Krabi is the place.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 9:22 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sydfly:

Also regarding the Club room: How is the breakfast selection in the morning (cold/hot dishes)? What about dinner drinks at night?

</font>
As the Rayavadee seems out of reach now, can anyone else comment on the Club Floor facilities at the Sheraton Krabi, please? I'm trying to work out whether it would be worth the extra charge as I don't get an upgrade as a GOLD. Also, does anyone remember how much they charge for breakfast buffet/dinner buffet (if they have any?).

For those who've been there I'm also trying to work out whether it would be worth renting a car for the few days. Can you get to any nice(r) beaches by car or do you have to go there by boat? What other places can you recommend to experience the crystal clear water and good snorkeling as I think the beach at the Sheraton does not offer those options.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 11:49 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
I have to agree that the Sheraton Krabi is lacking. Given that Rayavadee is an excellent location, I'd go to stay at one of the non-chain hotels in that area rather than pay too much for Sheraton Krabi. Or just go to Phi Phi.

I thought the Sheraton Krabi suits well as a conference resort, but nothing more than that. I am off to a meeting at JW Marriott next week, so will add more on that.

But really in remote Thailand the best beaches are on smaller islands which don't have the big resort hotels, and do need to be approached by boat - check out Lonely Planet for recommendations.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 6:49 am

I am very interested to hear your thoughts on Sheraton Krabi vs. JW Phuket. I am planning a 6 night stay in February.

Also wondering what are some nice hotels on smaller islands that might be worth considering.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:26 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Please see the Marriott forum for my comments on the J.W. Phuket Resort. It is a great property.

That said, while we were at the Marriot last month, we drove over to Krabi. While driving around, we saw a sign for the Sheraton and drove over. We requested to see a room for a possible future stay. The staff asked us to take a seat in the lobby. Note: check-in desk is very small with 5 people working. They delivered cold towels and a welcome drink. Mind you, we were not guests. I had left the car in front of the hotel, a bellman came and got my keys and parked it in the adjacent lot. A few minutes later, a hotel employee (trainee-2 days tenure) showed up and loaded us into one of the golf carts for a tour. We saw a suite, a standard room and an upgraded room (Starwood gold upgrade). The rooms were all very nice, standard & upgraded room are the same size and somewhat smaller than our Marriott room. The are very attractive if one likes modern (contemporary)-we do. The hotel, did not seem to impart a feeling of being culturally correct.

Our tour continued around the resort, there are two restaurants currently open. The pool is nice. The beach IMO is better than that at the Marriot (based on its flatness).

The hotel is built on what appears to be reclaimed mangrove swamp-strong possibility of biting and stinging insects. The nearest town is Ao Nang which is about 6 miles away. Ao Nang is fairly modern and even includes, for those interested, a brand-new McDonalds.

My first choice remains the Marriott. We would consider the Sheraton if the price was comparable, but probably for no longer than 3-4 days. We would stay at the Marriott for at least a week should we or when we return, especially if the Priceline deal is still around. Whether the Sheraton would, in the future, be negotiable is an unanswered question. A telephone call or e-mail will provide that answer.

As an aside, we also stopped at the Hilton (new branding) Arcadia Resort at Karon Beach. I am very glad that I cancelled our reservation and tried and got the Marriot. It is an old property, slightly shabby in the public spaces, did not see a room, the public restrooms are OK. It is not on the beach and the pool area looked just OK. This obviously is a "bus person" destination IMHO an undesirable portion of Phuket Island.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 10:18 pm

Sheraton in Krabi

I will be staying in Sheraton Krabi in Feb (am Gold member). Any advise? Recommendations? Loud? Anything will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 10:22 pm

Sheraton in Krabi

I will be staying in Sheraton Krabi in Feb (am Gold member). Any advise? Recommendations? Loud? Anything will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by maciek504:
I will be staying in Sheraton Krabi in Feb (am Gold member). Any advise? Recommendations? Loud? Anything will be appreciated. Thanks.</font>
Depending on what you're looking for in a hotel, I don't think this place's location is that great. I was in Krabi a few weeks ago. My impression of the town itself was that it was kind of a crappy town. Aenong (sp?) Beach is where the "action" is - the Sheraton itself is kind of out of town and there isn't anything readily nearby (didn't stay there, just drove past it on the way to Nosey Parker's Elephant Trek (800 baht for a 1/2 day) and near the Krabi Thai Cookery School (search for it on Google - 1000 baht for the day - worth it if you like Thai food at all! - got some picts of it at http://community.webshots.com/user/bhatnasx - see the Cooking with Girls & the Krabi & Elephants folders). Krabi itself is, according to locals, the kind of place that you go to a hotel and you do day activities and spend the night at the hotel. I personally didn't enjoy the area that much - if your flights & reservations aren't set in stone, you may want to get a bungalow in Koh Phi Phi (Pee Pee island) or Koh Lanta (which is accessible from Krabi) or if they are set in stone, you may want to plan a few day trips like snorkelling, elephant trekking, etc...

Old Feb 25, 2004, 8:59 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
maciek504, I hope you enjoyed your trip to Krabi in February. If you're already back would you mind leaving some comments here about the hotel such as the beach, the snorkeling/swimming near the hotel, the food at the hotel, any activities you can recommend, any advise on transport from the airport, any upgrade chances for a Gold member. And of course, anything else you consider worth knowing...

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
The beach at this hotel is a rocky beach. You can't really swim there. The pool is also quite small. If you want to do something fun I went for day trip with Tex Rock Climbing. They arrange pickup at hotel, boat to Ralai beach and you climb. Its great fun.

If you want to go snorkelling or to a nice beach. You can hire a long tail boat to take you on a day trip. Make sure you negotiate a fixed price. There is also a small fee to stop on some islands as they are national parks. Back some food and water and bring lots of sunscreen. They will take you little islands with nice beaches as well as areas for snorkelling. You can borrow the equipment from the hotel for a fee. Also bring some bread so you can feed the fish.

I also did the kayaking in the mangroves. That is great fun and good for the family. Its very well organised. If they take you to a lagoon beware of mosquito's. There are millions of them.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:45 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Sheraton Krabi

just to let everybody know that we didn't cancel they stay at wonderfull sheraton Krabi Hotel and here right now ) amaizin! property's awesome, great beach - no trace of Tsunami and NO (40 people today in the hotel) PEOPLE at all ))) HEAVEN! ;-) come on over! ;-)
Old Sep 23, 2005, 5:33 am

Platinum treatment @ Sheraton Krabi?

Hi

We'll be heading to Sheraton Krabi later next month, and were wondering how they treat PLAs there. Is there Club/Lounge access? Or more importantly, has anyone been upgraded to an Executive Suite there? We'll be checking in pretty late at night, so hope the suites don't run out. Cheers!
Old Sep 23, 2005, 8:46 am

Programs: DL 1MM Plat; UAL 1K, Starwood Plat
My wife and I stayed there about a year ago and were upgraded to a better room (only two or three suites in the entire place), got free breakfast, and use of the business center which included internet. I'd compare the hotel to hotels in Destin, FL or VA Beach nothing special (tourist class hotel). They do have a nice pool and there are a ton of day trips you can take (sea kayaking, hiking, scuba/snorkel) and make sure to say high to the baby elephant they bring to the resort every morning and afternoon--she likes to untie shoes and take off sandals--have a great trip!
Old Sep 23, 2005, 8:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

It's funny when people ask about "Platinum treatment" here.. it sounds like some kind of beauty or hair procedure at the spa.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 9:45 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I dont feel its fair to compare this property to ones in FLA...

..when its so unbelievably cheap to stay there. I mean what did you expect for less than $100/night. The buffet breakfast is good, the staff is lovely, there is only a few suites so U/G is difficult but you will get endless bottled water and the biggest fruit bowl in existance..(sorry only to be surpassed by the Westin BKK)...and there is a nice infinity pool. Restaurant is so-so, but there is a # of other places to eat. Dont be put off by aboves comments..this is a nice place to spend some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.