Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton East Hartford - Leaving Starwood 31 MAR 2011 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton East Hartford - Leaving Starwood 31 MAR 2011 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Maybe I'm not as demanding as I think I am!

I've stayed at this property 11 times in the last 6 months. Never an issue, friendly staff, food is good, rooms as advertised. I found the bed to be comfortable and overall a good experience.

It's not a 5 star Westin on the beach. But for what I need it to do, it does it. I like it better than than the Hilton Hartford (which used to be a Sheraton). I put it on the same ground as the Rocky Hill Marriott. The Marriott downtown Hartford is nicer, but you will pay a lot more for it as well.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues that some folks have had, just wanted to post my experiences since this thread was brought back to life.

Cheers!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
From what I'm reading, this is the ugly & unwanted child of the Sheraton family, but at least it is well mannered; in my experience anyway. I stayed here before and the property is not stellar, pretty or impressive, however I was treated well and the staff was so very nice. Maybe that's the reason why I believe that this place is ok and tolerable, compared to the nasty things usually used to describe it. The physical plant does need a total revamp, they need a total remodel. They have the right team in place, they just need major investment$ to make the place "updated". I think it is doable!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Feb 14, 2011 at 8:10 pm
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
From what I'm reading, this is the ugly & unwanted child of the Sheraton family, but at least it is well mannered; in my experience anyway. I stayed here before and the property is not stellar, pretty or impressive, however I was treated well and the staff was so very nice. Maybe that's the reason why I believe that this place is ok and tolerable, compared to the nasty things usually used to describe it. The physical plant does need a total revamp, they need a total remodel. They have the right team in place, they just need major investment$ to make the place "updated". I think it is doable!
Up until the point where I had been walked twice within 4 months, was promised it would never happen again (and then it did), and had a few issues with maintenance not being at all timely with responding to my requests, I had the same opinion. You can't have a dated property in a totally unexciting area (slightly scary to walk outside at night), and also fail at service. I still haven't heard anything back from the GM regarding the second walking last week Wednesday, so I guess I'm going to escalate to Customer Care first.

If you guys are okay with potentially not having a room when you get to the hotel, that's your gamble.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by madcow256
You can't have a dated property in a totally unexciting area (slightly scary to walk outside at night), and also fail at service.
It is not the first time that I hear about the area being "sketchy". What is that about??? it is near highways & ramps in a quiet wooded area near the Connecticut river. I've never seen anything remotely strange or iffy when I was there; actually I find the Hartford area in general to be quite pleasant. I must say that your experiences here were quite unpleasant and I would avoid it if I was in your shoes too...
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum; Hilton HHonors Gold; United Premier Gold
It is not the first time that I hear about the area being "sketchy". What is that about??? it is near highways & ramps in a quiet wooded area near the Connecticut river. I've never seen anything remotely strange or iffy when I was there; actually I find the Hartford area in general to be quite pleasant.
Hartford might look pleasant at first glance to the casual eye, but it's not an especially safe place for a tourist who doesn't know his/her way around the area. I used to run a special event in Hartford's Bushnell Park, and dealt with the local Chamber of Commerce types who admitted/recommended that I would need extra security to assure the safety of my physical plant overnight in the park. And in case you don't know, Bushnell Park is just off the tourist downtown section, and in the literal shadow of the CT capitol building/statehouse.

And that East Hartford Sheraton parking lot is just a tad too deserted for my taste. I share Madcow's discomfort for it, especially after dark.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:31 pm

It is not the first time that I hear about the area being "sketchy". What is that about??? it is near highways & ramps in a quiet wooded area near the Connecticut river. I've never seen anything remotely strange or iffy when I was there; actually I find the Hartford area in general to be quite pleasant. I must say that your experiences here were quite unpleasant and I would avoid it if I was in your shoes too...
It's probably the empty feeling where the entire city leaves work and commutes home at 6p every night, leaving only a select few businesses open and reducing the number of people you see on the street to a bare minimum. I've never felt threatened walking around but I'm a big guy with a shaved head (usually the suspicious looks from other random walkers are headed in my direction). I have had my clients (local people) warn me about walking around alone at night, especially near the waterfront.

One time I needed two AA batteries while staying at the Sheraton and the hotel didn't have any, but the girl at the desk advised that I didn't walk the 15 minutes to the local Staples because it was dangerous. I made it there and back just fine but didn't particularly enjoy the time spent around the highway underpasses.

Also, being ranked the #19th most dangerous city in America might also have something to do with it: http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

Last edited by madcow256; Feb 16, 2011 at 1:33 pm Reason: Left out info
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum; Hilton HHonors Gold; United Premier Gold
It's probably the empty feeling where the entire city leaves work and commutes home at 6p every night, leaving only a select few businesses open and reducing the number of people you see on the street to a bare minimum. I've never felt threatened walking around but I'm a big guy with a shaved head (usually the suspicious looks from other random walkers are headed in my direction). I have had my clients (local people) warn me about walking around alone at night, especially near the waterfront.

One time I needed two AA batteries while staying at the Sheraton and the hotel didn't have any, but the girl at the desk advised that I didn't walk the 15 minutes to the local Staples because it was dangerous. I made it there and back just fine but didn't particularly enjoy the time spent around the highway underpasses.

Also, being ranked the #19th most dangerous city in America might also have something to do with it: http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf
You captured/crystallized the area perfectly...unfortunately.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 2:48 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Stayed there 2 summers ago when Springsteen was playing the Civic Center.

Desk clerk gave us walking directions through the parking lot and over the bridge to get to the show, but recommended we cab it back. Walk over was fine, in daylight, as we approached the Civic Center we saw a cop and asked him whether it was safe to walk back after the show the way we came, and he assured us that we shouldn't consider walking that way.

Other than that our stay was fine, desk clerk was very funny with a "oh didn't you hear, they canceled the concert" shtick.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum

Hartford has a crime problem. So does East Hartford, where this hotel is located. In some ways, East Hartford is worse than the area directly across the CT river (downtown Hartford). Downtown is _relatively_ safe, but the neighborhoods to its north and south are rough. Bronx rough, but maybe not Detroit rough.

The decent neighborhoods in Hartford are the West End (2 miles west of downtown) and Downtown.

I've never understood why one of the chains does not build a big hotel in West Hartford center, where the Hartford community shops and eats.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:09 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by signothetimes53
Everything Madcow256 says about this place smacks of the hard core truth. I've stayed here twice in the last 2 years, and each stay was simply dreadful, among the worst *wood experiences I've had in the last 20 years.

It's amazing to me that *wood corporate doesn't take some sort of action wrt this place, it's not as if they don't know it doesn't even come close to meeting normal standards.
Good news for some of you, I suppose:

Special Conditions
Leaving Starwood on March 31, 2011

The Sheraton Hartford Hotel will be leaving the Starwood system on March 31, 2011. Reservations for dates on or after March 31, 2011, will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
EXCELLENT news, actually, William.

Thanks for the info. This gives me some renewed faith in *wood. This crummy hotel has been crummy since day one. It's amazing that it's been in the system for as long as it has been.

How they've passed their last few inspections, frankly, is completely beyond me. It's rare to encounter a hotel as poorly managed as this one with a global brand name on it. Glad to see it go -- good riddance.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Bummer. This place was my go to location for stays needed to top up my PLT status. I've probably had 15-20 stays there over the past 5 years, but have never seen a room.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I've probably had 15-20 stays there over the past 5 years, but have never seen a room.
And for that, you should be eternally grateful.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sbtinme
And for that, you should be eternally grateful.
I am.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:34 pm

I guess another one bites the dust, not surprisingly...
New England is losing properties, one by one, not that they were great or anything.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Feb 28, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.