Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Getting walked: what should happen for a platinum or gold member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG Turnaway Policy

As per #304:

The turnaway policy for elites do apply at Design hotels but there are a couple of crucial points to note:

Elite members who are walked from Design Hotels properties will receive Starpoints for the portion of the stay that they were walked, but they will not receive additional Starpoints equivalent to the cost of a Free Night Award. No goodwill gesture points will be offered as well.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Getting walked: what should happen for a platinum or gold member

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 1:06 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by gozetta
...Wonder if I'll get the Platinum amenity 500 points and stay credit?
Technically, you should be credited for the stay from The Westin Westminister for one night at the RACK rate and you should get 500 Starpoints as your welcome amenity from The Westin Tabor Center since that is where you really stayed.

Something tells me there's no way they get this right, however, so if seven days pass and it doesn't happen that way, send me your SPG account number in an email with a link to this thread and I'll see if I can sort it out.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Thanks for the offer William, but I think I'm OK now as the points and amenity posted. Interesting factoid for me though:

* NO SPG credit for massage (I assumed that)
* NO SPG credit for tips at the Palm Restaurant (I knew that)
* NO SPG credit for valet parking (didn't know that)
* DID receive credit for ALCOHOL at the Palm, even though it was itemized on my hotel folio (thought that was out for some reason)
* DID receive credit for Food TAX amount
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by gozetta
* NO SPG credit for valet parking (didn't know that)
Yep, parking is an ineligible charge.

* DID receive credit for ALCOHOL at the Palm, even though it was itemized on my hotel folio (thought that was out for some reason)
Alcohol is okay as long as there isn't a state law against you receiving points for its purchase. Obviously, not a problem in Colorado.

* DID receive credit for Food TAX amount
That's certainly unusual, but not unheard of. Sometimes they just don't break it down correctly so the system understands what is and what isn't.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Sorry to change the subject but William, why don't we get points for parking/valet? This is such a high margin item that I can't understand it.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by BigBopper
Sorry to change the subject but William, why don't we get points for parking/valet? This is such a high margin item that I can't understand it.
Because in about 90% of instances, Starwood does not own the parking facilities, so the margin may not be as great as you think it is.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Because in about 90% of instances, Starwood does not own the parking facilities, so the margin may not be as great as you think it is.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
I still think they should give points. If the cost of points for parking is so high to the hotel then they should build that into the rate. Anyway, we'll agree to disagree and I thank you for taking the time to answer.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador HHonors Diamond, Hertz 5*
What happens when a Platinum or Gold member gets "walked"?

Hi everyone,
Due to overbooking I was walked to a Hilton about 10 days ago after trying to check in with about a dozen other people. It was especially annoying because it was 1:30 am and as usual the spg line was not open and half a dozen rooms were assigned to non-elites while I along with one other plat were left without a room.
Anyway my question is this: I have not been charged for the room at the Sheraton (It shows online as canceled) and they paid for my stay at the Hilton. Is this normal? According to a search of these forums I should also get room credit and points, but it is not clear whether or not any hotel charges are to be paid either at the Sheraton or Hilton by me.
Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: A Few
You do not have to pay any hotel charges. Although getting walked is annoying when you arrive late at night...the compensation is the free room.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:00 pm

Actually, the compensation is the free room, cab fare to get to the other hotel and points.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:28 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by jsmilton
they paid for my stay at the Hilton.

Just curious. Did they reimburse you for the stay or did the Hilton invoice them directly?
Old Jul 7, 2007, 1:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
This has been a common occurence recently, it seems. In another thread, Starwood Lurker noted that:

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
The correct level of compensation for walked Gold and Platinum members is enough Starpoints to be able to stay at the offending property for one night. You can ask for something else, but that is all SPG is going to insist upon.
I'll merge several of these threads together so that we have a definitive "What happens when a Platinum member gets walked?" thread.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 3:51 pm

Walk letter

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Just curious. Did they reimburse you for the stay or did the Hilton invoice them directly?
They just gave me a walk letter which was filled out by the manager asking the Hilton to give me a room and to directly bill it to the Sheraton Suites Market Center (in Dallas). I gave Hilton a credit card for incidentals but that was all.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 4:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsmilton
They just gave me a walk letter which was filled out by the manager asking the Hilton to give me a room and to directly bill it to the Sheraton Suites Market Center (in Dallas). I gave Hilton a credit card for incidentals but that was all.
As a Category 3 hotel, they should post an additional 7,000 points to your account for the inconvenience (in addition to your Plat Welcome Amenity and credit for the stay). If that doesn't happen after a couple of weeks, I'd contact Starwood. It sounds like Starwood Lurker is also willing to help if you aren't able to get anywhere.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 4:06 pm

Thanks for all your help.

I really appreciate all your help and answers.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 7:03 pm

..I'll merge several of these threads together so that we have a definitive "What happens when a Platinum member gets walked?" thread.
AZ Travels the World...
Maybe this thread would make a good addition to the forum primary resource thread.

Cheers...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.