Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: SPG and Priceline

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 7:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
I've never booked via Priceline so I can't answer
But I am curious what price to you get the room for?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 7:46 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I don't know what recent prices have been for this hotel via priceline, but can confirm that for YEARS this place went for $34/nt.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:43 pm

Programs: ua mileage+, hertz gold, hhonors diamond *wood gold
I live in Orange County and used to live in Manhattan Beach not far from the airport so I don't harbor any illusions of grandeur as it applies to the Westin. Just wandering if I might still get (the very limited) spg gold benefits on a priceline stay. By the way I got the Westin for $63 per night.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:55 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
You might, but then again you might not. The reservation will not show up on the SPG website but show your card at checkin...if you get a rookie agent you will likely get your benefits, such as they are.

Considering what you paid, you have a great deal anyway.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 2:34 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Most hotels reserve their 'special' rooms for Priceline customers (and no i'm not talking suites).

Would say unlikely to get any benefits although always worth a go.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I would disagree that 'most' hotels reserve their unfortunate rooms for PL bookings. I've seen many a suite upgrade on PL rates, having nothing to do with loyalty program status and everything to do with hotel occupancy -- have a run of the house booking, check in when the hotel is full and has already allocated most of the standard rooms, and someone needs to get a bump up.

As for the Westin LAX, assuming you got the hotel in the US$65 range you'll get your money's worth. This is not the preferred Starwood LAX property, and a real piece of bad luck as the Sheraton also comes up on Priceline as LAX 4* and is a better hotel.

You won't have your status recognized for upgrades, but then Golds aren't entitled to much even on regular bookings. Sweet talk the desk if your room type matters to you, also helps to search the archives and know exactly what it is you'd like. But of course an airport hotel is usually just a place to crash so don't sweat the room type too much -- this probably isn't a 'special stay' and there's no ocean view to be had!
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I nearly always get 4 points LAX via PL, and it runs way less than $63 most times IIRC.

As gleff says you can get "lucky". I generally do, and it has everything to do with check-in, and watching Rudi work. Observe that, learn from it, and you are set for life.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:25 am

Thanks for the info. and I know this isn't the greatest hotel. I have actually been upgraded and/or given other *wood benefits on many occasions on priceline stays (Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, Sheraton Sacramento, Sheraton Seattle). I don't expect it but it's nice. I have only rarely been given the truly awful Priceline room, usually they're just fine run of house type rooms. I was really just wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with Priceline and the LAX Westin.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Hey beachfamily,

I did the same thing as you about a month ago as an SPG Gold. See p4 of the following thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569799

I can't recall if it was becuz of my SPG Amex or becuz I informed them I was an SPG Gold, but I got a room on a SPG floor. Unfortunately, it was a room that faced the runway. Defitinitely request a room facing Century Blvd instead.

As to lounge access (like club floor lounge), I've never requested it or gotten it complimentary as SPG Gold and believe it's only entitled to SPG Plat. So definitely no luck for me at the Westin LAX. I'm not even sure if SPG Plats can gain access if on a PL stay either. YMMV.

I'm also pretty sure that food, parking and other charges at the Westin LAX will not earn SPG points on a PL stay (according to the T&C) as mine never posted.

Hope this info helps. Look on the bright side, you got a terrific rate!
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I stayed at the Westin LAX a few weeks ago as a Starwood Gold on a Priceline reservation. I received no special treatment other than receiving a room on the SPG floor (which does mean a whole lot anyway!). Apparently there is a special check-in area for Golds and Platinums (lounge), but I did not know about this when I checked in. You might have luck trying to check in there and seeing what happens?

I took some pictures of the hotel and our room, which are posted here.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:47 pm

Thanks. I'll try checking in at the lounge and see how it goes.... No big deal either way.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
I'm also pretty sure that food, parking and other charges at the Westin LAX will not earn SPG points on a PL stay (according to the T&C) as mine never posted.
Parking fees are ALWAYS excluded, even for guests paying eligible rates (see 5.3.d of the Ts & Cs below).

However, most food and beverage charges should earn points, even when staying at an non-eligible rate (see 5.4).

If you still have your receipts, you should be able to get your points by faxing in the supporting documentation.

From the Ts and Cs:

5.3. “Eligible Charges” are charges incurred by you on your room account for Eligible Rates, food and beverage (excluding alcoholic beverage purchases where prohibited by law), direct dialed telephone and direct-dialed in-room fax, laundry/valet, and in-room movies and video games only. Eligible Charges do not include:

(a) room charges that are not included in the definition of Eligible Rates;

(b) charges for banquets, meetings or other functions, with the exception of points earned from qualifying meetings or events through the Preferred Planner Program;

(c) complimentary services (including, but not limited to, any Awards earned through the Program);

(d) other fees paid such as parking, business center, retail stores, and greens fees;

(e) taxes, gratuities, service charges and other applicable charges, such as energy charges, and resort fees.

(f) any charges not specifically listed as an Eligible Charge.

5.4. You may earn Starpoints for Eligible Charges paid by you during your stay even if the room charge was not an Eligible Charge. However, if the room charges are not Eligible Charges, the stay will not count as an Eligible Stay or Eligible Night towards elite levels of Membership or for threshold bonuses and promotions.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by gleff
I would disagree that 'most' hotels reserve their unfortunate rooms for PL bookings.
I generally agree with this - one of the exceptions is the MCI Hilton, which has, on multiple stays when the hotel wass nearly empty, always managed to put me into a double-bed handicap-accessible room located in a noisy first-floor corridor adjacent to meeting rooms (and the room was always pre-assigned, not chosen by the desk clerk at check-in time). But I stress that this is the exception, not the rule.

I've seen many a suite upgrade on PL rates, having nothing to do with loyalty program status and everything to do with hotel occupancy -- have a run of the house booking, check in when the hotel is full and has already allocated most of the standard rooms, and someone needs to get a bump up.
This happened to me recently at the Omni San Diego. Arriving at 11:00 pm to a sold-out hotel, I was place in a beautiful harbor-view suite which I found out later had a rack rate of $600.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), DL GLD, AL GLD, SPG GLD, HY DMD, MRTT PLAT
Priceline-Earn SPG Points?

Staying at the Sheraton Towers in NYC and got a $115 rate for Nov 12. Cab I earn starwood points?
Old Nov 11, 2006, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
No for the room charge, yes for meals etc., as per your T & C's with SPG. Ymmv if the hotel makes a mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.