Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

A fascinating paper on how Starwood is using FT (and FTers)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A fascinating paper on how Starwood is using FT (and FTers)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:39 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
WE HAVE BEEN ABSORBED INTO THE COLLECTIVE. s- THE BORG

Just kidding. More power to starwood if they are astute enough to have this resource data-mined to come up w/ lessons learned and commercially-applicable conclusions.

Sure wish AMEX would spend a few bucks and subsrcribe to this [type of] study. Oh, how they could improve their Membership Rewards (and AMEX CENTURION benefits package) products with just a few tweaks and create true blockbuster affinity programs. Instead, AMEX seems to always evolve into marginality, whether intentionally or via neglect or simply via apathy. Repeatedly, AMEX announces their programs w/ a bang...and then lets them dilute and meander to marginality. What a way to run a business.

Starwood listens, apparently, and proactively researches and peeks and pokes...and they win the Freddy year after year. This is another confirmation for we spg members that shows starwood is tuned in.

William earns more "cool points" among his peers in this industry.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 4:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by shar161
But I have to say it did make us all look like lab mice in an experiment didn't it??

I wonder how much Starwood had to pay to "find out" that it really is a good thing having Starwood Lurker on board?!! It's only obvious how positive that is for Starwood just reading the threads.
Indeed, although I guess William is the main mouse here. I'd be kind of nervous if my employer commissioned a fancy study on the effectiveness of my position. But in this case the results were pretty obvious: "...we believe that the starwood lurker is providing a return on investment for starwood" (pg 19). Well, duh...
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:05 am

I agree, very interesting. I am curious to see how promotions and new hotel initiatives impact profits and occupancy percentages.

Can anyone shed light on this?

For example, when *wood offers a promotion to earn 2,000 bonus points after two stays, do hotel occupancy rates go up?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:31 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
While Starwood should be commended for having the wisdom to use this board to foster even greater loyalty, it wouldn't have made a bit of a difference if William wasn't William. His responsiveness, concern and humor make a difference and put a sort of "face" on the faceless internet. It is a feeling that it's hard to see in the many charts the article contained.

My guess is that he'll end up as Starwood's VP of Customer Service at some point.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta: Platinum, Turkish: Gold (Star Alliance Gold); HHonors: Gold; Hyatt: Plat; SPG: Plat;
Thanks William for all your efforts. I am sure Starwood is benefiting from the forum as we are benefiting from Starwood's (i.e William's) contributions to the forum!
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Looks like I'll have to post a little more often - only 140 last year.

SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happySPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy

Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Members who join FT but never post? There are quite a lot of such FT accounts. Members who have had their post count manually set/reset or posts disappeared with/without a manual post count reset?
I asked cause when I opened this thread, the OP has 0 posts... now they have 1.

Might have been a glitch.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
I wonder, are the writers of the report are reading this thread?

Although I thought I posted frequently on the SPG and HHONORS boards, I am glad to see that I do not make it to the super-user level!
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CPRich
Looks like I'll have to post a little more often - only 140 last year.

SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happySPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy SPG room good stay good room upgrade like appreciate service good vacation promotions bonus points locations happy

Trying to mess up the data mining software?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Fascinating read! I was surprised to see myself as the only MR-HH-SPG connector. Figured since those are the "big three" here, there'd be more of us that played 'em all with posting patterns that didn't make us a loyalist of any single one.

Also glad that the conclusion was that an active, uncensored lurker is a good investment. ^
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the report:
Company posters who do not identify themselves and try to promote their brands are commonly referred to as “Trolls” on boards like FlyerTalk. Trolls are not well liked and usually easily spotted by the super users.
Are they trying to suggest that our Starwood Lurker is simply a Troll that's come out of the closet?

Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:30 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by PremEx
From the report:

Are they trying to suggest that our Starwood Lurker is simply a Troll that's come out of the closet?

LOL. Now that was funny...

Two things, really. One, thanks for the kudos...deserved or, no doubt in some instances, undeserved.

Two, I would not assume that Starwood or SPG sponsored this study.

But, it is pretty fascinating what people can do with software and other analytical devices these days.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Two, I would not assume that Starwood or SPG sponsored this study.
Just from looking at the paper, I assumed that Anderson Analytics bought some presentation time at this international conference and chose Starwood as their case study to present. I'm guessing that Starwood is a client - either directly as a partner/vendor through their main agency of record.

The purpose of the paper is to promote the AA and their toolset; all SPG had to do was grant permission to use the data and findings from the FT research as their case study.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:04 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by pinniped
...all SPG had to do was grant permission to use the data and findings from the FT research as their case study.
Frankly, I'm not even sure they would have to get that from SPG. From Randy, maybe, but SPG does not own the content I provide at Flyertalk, much less anything anyone else would provide.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Interesting table on pg 11 too - confirming FTers are highly over-represented in the higher statuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.