Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Agree that Plats are treated well at this hotel. I stayed last month for a business meeting. I was with a group of 6 people...3 people in the group were Plats, and all of us were automatically upgraded to suites 1000+ sq feet or bigger.

The rooms are very modern, with extremely high ceilings (the highest I've ever seen at a hotel...and I spend 100+ nights a year at a hotel). All rooms have a complimentary minibar with 2 juices, 2 sodas and 2 beers. And the showers...are just heavenly...

Transport to/from the airport was very easy. I cabbed it, but others in the group took the train and said it was a short walk off the nearest stop.

The LM and Bristol are within a couple of blocks of each other - both are in a great area for shopping and dining, so I don't think you can go wrong with either hotel in terms of location.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:42 pm

Stayed for 2 night at LM Vienna. Unfortunately, my experience as a Platinum wasn't too impressive.

1 hour prior to arrival, I called and ask if there was a suite available for us as an upgrade. The front desk man said yes. I looked online and saw suites were available for sale.

Upon check-in, the reception lady gave me a key. When I asked to confirm that it was for a suite, she said "No. We have upgraded you to a Deluxe Room" When asked about a suite, she proceeded to say "We have no suite available".

I hate confronting front desk staff about this game, but since I just spoke with a front desk staff an hour before, I felt like I had to say something.

Luckily, the gentleman with whom I spoke earlier was there. He corrected the situation and upgraded us to a 'Junior Suite' on the 8th Floor.

When we got to the 8th Floor, our key didn't work! Luckily the bell boy was with us, so he opened the door with his key and went downstairs to get a new key made.

There was no mention of amenity and frankly, the original "no suite" comment in the beginning and some attitude from the front desk made me uninterested in dealing with them further.

And get this... the junior suite we got on the 8th floor, wasn't something I'd call a junior suite. It was a larger room with 2 chairs. Since it is on the highest floor, the ceiling slants about half way of the room, makes the room feels even smaller.

That evening we ordered room service. Food arrived within 20 minutes as promised. After we finished our meal, we called to have the table removed. 30 minutes passed, no one came. We called again. 40 minutes passed, no one came. Close to midnight, we pushed the table out and left it in front of our door.

Next evening we ordered a bottle of wine for room service. 20 minutes passed, no wine. We called again and the operator was surprised it wasn't delivered and promised it'd be up soon. Another 25 minutes went by, so we called and canceled the order.

Frankly, the game and lies about unavailability of suites turn me completely off from frequenting Starwood. At least in Hyatt, if they can't grant you Lounge access, they will give you certificates for breakfast IN ADDITION to amenity.

This LM Vienna experience convinced me not to remain loyal to SPG. In my experience, the Platinum treatment varies greatly from hotel to hotel, it is not worth choosing a hotel just because it's a Starwood property.

Last edited by broadwayboy; Jan 1, 2008 at 1:56 pm
Old Jan 10, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; SPG GLD; Hilton GLD
Stayed at the LM Vienna during the Christmas fairs last month and received excellent treatment (I'm surprised at some of the negative comments in this thread). As a Gold on pts, was upgraded to a "Superior" room that I would consider a suite with a seating area w/dining table separated from the bed by a large TV on a swivel post. Room also featured a 2nd 1/2 bath.
Really liked the style of the hotel and the only complaint we had was that the drain seemed to be partially clogged and the water from the shower was at risk of running into the bathroom.
We listed this on the provided comment card and just received a signed personalized note from the GM and Quality Manager - something that I never experienced before, even as a Plat.
I'd say its one of the best *Wood properties we've stayed in and we would certainly stay again.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:55 pm

Interesting to note that you got a room with what sounds like a Junior Suite (from SPG website) but called 'SUPERIOR'

We got what's called a Junior Suite but felt more like a 'superior room" -- no dining table, seating area consists of 2 lounge chairs and we have only 1 bath.

The hotel needs to get their room types in order.

Originally Posted by jkirsch
Stayed at the LM Vienna during the Christmas fairs last month and received excellent treatment (I'm surprised at some of the negative comments in this thread). As a Gold on pts, was upgraded to a "Superior" room that I would consider a suite with a seating area w/dining table separated from the bed by a large TV on a swivel post. Room also featured a 2nd 1/2 bath.
Really liked the style of the hotel and the only complaint we had was that the drain seemed to be partially clogged and the water from the shower was at risk of running into the bathroom.
We listed this on the provided comment card and just received a signed personalized note from the GM and Quality Manager - something that I never experienced before, even as a Plat.
I'd say its one of the best *Wood properties we've stayed in and we would certainly stay again.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 3:46 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I recently had my first stay at Le Méridien Vienna.

Service was overall pleasant, except for the fact that even though I had to remind the check-in staff twice about my choice of Plat amenity, I still have not received the 500 pts. In addition, the breakfast was IMHO too expensive for the quality and variety of the food. I don't mind paying about the same price as at the GB in Athens, but I expect better quality. Finally, the service at breakfast was quite lackadaisical, interested only in asking me for my room number, far less in providing me with a double expresso.

The upgrade to a Junior Suite was nice and I found the decoration elegant and pleasant, but there was plumbing noise until early morning, so not very restful. Free Internet was a nice touch as well as the (basic) free mini-bar. Unfortunately, I lacked the time to go down to the swimming pool.

I'll be willing to give Le Méridien Vienna another chance, but my recent experiences at the IC, the StadtPark Hilton, and even the Hilton Vienna Danube (!) were more in line with my expectations in terms of price/performance ratio.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JOUY31
The upgrade to a Junior Suite was nice and I found the decoration elegant and pleasant, but there was plumbing noise until early morning, so not very restful. Free Internet was a nice touch as well as the (basic) free mini-bar. Unfortunately, I lacked the time to go down to the swimming pool..
The noise- I found was with the HVAC- did not notice it with the plumbing? In any event it does make for a bit of a distraction.
As for the basic free mini-bar, my understanding is that Bristol also offers this? It seems to be an unpublished benefit- and as such I don't know that it is always in place? Free internet is great!

Originally Posted by JOUY31
I'll be willing to give Le Méridien Vienna another chance, but my recent experiences at the IC, the StadtPark Hilton, and even the Hilton Vienna Danube (!) were more in line with my expectations in terms of price/performance ratio.
IC agree with you, the Hiltons?? I find the StadtPark Hilton to normally price as high or higher than the Bristol in my experience. The Hilton Vienna Danube I am interested in- over on the Hilton board it seems to get pretty "beat up" by their members?? Also, it terms of external esthetics, the IC is nothing pretty if that matters at all
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:12 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
The noise- I found was with the HVAC- did not notice it with the plumbing? In any event it does make for a bit of a distraction.
As for the basic free mini-bar, my understanding is that Bristol also offers this? It seems to be an unpublished benefit- and as such I don't know that it is always in place? Free internet is great!

IC agree with you, the Hiltons?? I find the StadtPark Hilton to normally price as high or higher than the Bristol in my experience. The Hilton Vienna Danube I am interested in- over on the Hilton board it seems to get pretty "beat up" by their members?? Also, it terms of external esthetics, the IC is nothing pretty if that matters at all
Regarding the noise, it could have been the HVAC ..., I just tried to filter it out .

Given the low price I can sometimes find at the Hilton Vienna Danube, my expectations there are very, very, low, so it usually is difficult for that property to disappoint me (On the other hand, on some dates, I have found the Hilton Vienna Plaza to be cheaper than the Vienna Danube ...). As to the Stadtpark Hilton, I only have access to public fares and it is usually cheaper (in my personal experience) than the Bristol. I would definitely choose the Bristol over the Stadtpark Hilton, given the opportunity.
Old May 7, 2008, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Advice required: Meridien Vienna

I am currently booked for a 2 nights award stay (using AC aeroplan miles, not *wood) at this hotel. My other options in Vienna are the Best Western Premiers or the Hilton Vienna (that one on Hilton points).

After having read a few threads on FT, I felt that the Meridien looked like a reasonable option (location, decor, modern hotel,...) even though I would not benefit from any extra perks (no status with *wood, Diamond at Hilton). This is also the hotel that offered the best value in terms of point redemptions.

After having reviewed a few recent posting on a "trip review website", I am somehwat concerned. There seems to be more and more people complaining about service levels at the Meridien.

I'd love to hear from FTers who have had a recent stay at this hotel. Has the service been going downhill recently or mostly just a perception issue. Any other tips to make this a great experience while there would be appreciated. Keep in mind - although I am an SPG member, no status.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 8, 2008 at 11:44 am Reason: Merged unedited into newly created master thread
Old May 7, 2008, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
FAB ! Its just pure FAB ! If this is what le Meridien hotels are heading towards, I'd give it all the extra points!

Hotel is centrally located. Lobby is nice , chic cool. Somewhere in between a W and a Westin.

Rooms are comfy and artsy. Beds are comfortable. There's a restaurant that looked cool but I didn't try. Staff is really good and friendly. And efficient. No idea why people were complaining. This is Europe after all, and it is very good by European standards.

There is a bar at night that people hang out at... and a cafe in the day time where one may have coffee, hot choc, cakes etc.

It really is a nice hotel. I wouldn't even go for the Hilton.

My last stays there were Jan and March 2008, and will be staying there again in Sep and any other time I can get to VIE!
Old May 7, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plt, Marriott Gold
great hotel

I've stayed there 4-6 times in the last year and always really happy with it. Have always gotten a big suite, free minibar, free internet. It's right across the street from the Opera.

No complaints!
Old May 7, 2008, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
I think when traveling to classic European cities, such as Vienna it is best to avoid generic chain hotels and try something local and historic.

Although, the Maridien does apprear to be a chic hotel with good service, it has nothing characteristic of Vienna. It could easily be in London or Berlin!

So, I choose The Imperial for my July trip!
Old May 7, 2008, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
If this is what le Meridien hotels are heading towards, I'd give it all the extra points!

It'd seem so, if the recent refurb of the LM Barcelona is anything to go by. Pity the refurb wasn't complete when I was there and I ended up with one of those unrefurbed rooms with dark wood and weird looking antiques all over. But at least it was a big and spacious suite. I did manage to glance into one of the new rooms as the maid was cleaning it - it looked SO cool!

I've also booked the LM Wien for my visit to VIE.

I find Starwoods in most European cities to be rather lacking in choice - it's either the Old Europe stuff or nothing else. Hence I think that the chic and trendy look is really the way forward for LMs, along with the worldwide expansion of Ws - they provide a great alternative for those of us who're averse to historic properties.
Old May 8, 2008, 4:27 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks to all!

Thanks to all so far for your posts, as it does provide me with a bit more perspective.

I should have been more specific in my OP stating that I had already consulted the "Bristol vs Meridien" thread on the site (which is what lead me to originally book LM) but the last entry dated back to Feb and was not Meridien specific, hence the new thread!

I did also consider the Imperial for my stay as a more "characteristic" Vienna Hotel but it just became available on Aeroplan and at a significant premium over LM (60% more points/night). I am all for "going for the real thing" - if the price is right!
Old May 8, 2008, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by QF009

I find Starwoods in most European cities to be rather lacking in choice - it's either the Old Europe stuff or nothing else. Hence I think that the chic and trendy look is really the way forward for LMs, along with the worldwide expansion of Ws - they provide a great alternative for those of us who're averse to historic properties.
I agree, Starwood does not offer much choice in Europe!

It's either the deluxe Imperial type hotels at very high prices or cheaper hotels that lack flavor and service!

Take Paris for example. You can stay the Prince De Gaulle or the Westin for around 300-500 EUR per night or you can check into one of the cheaper LM's that have terrible tripadvisor reviews!
Old May 28, 2008, 8:23 am

I am currently logged-in using the free internet, drinking from the free minibar, having been given a junior suite for my two night stay. I am very pleased with this hotel. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.