Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Discount Codes (SET #)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 10:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by JK
I tell a lie! Having now logged into SPG.com again - it *is* pulling in rates for my SET code automatically. New problem now - it's showing me the Cash & Points Rate. I'd prefer to see the Hot Escapes rate there instead.

Anyone know how to achieve that?
FWIW, I have set up the 4 columns on the 'Compare Rates' tab to be
Lowest Standard Rate
SPG Cash & Points
SPG Member-Only Hot Escapes
My SET Code

and it is remembered the next time I come to the website and do a search. IE 11.

Have you tried clearing your cache and deleting your spg cookies ?
Old May 1, 2014, 10:15 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Lowest Standard Rate
SPG Cash & Points
My SET Code

and it is remembered the next time I come to the website and do a search. IE 11.

That's almost exactly what I want too, except the Points rate instead of the C&P! I will try the cache and cookies clearing technique though and see how that works! Although I use Chrome, but let's see what happens...

While I have you though, another question: for BA.com, I have a link that includes my login and password, so when I click it, it takes me directly to ba.com and logs me in. In the past, I used to have a similar one for spg.com but can no longer find it... Do you happen to know if there is a link shortcut that would log me straight into spg.com?
Old May 1, 2014, 10:51 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I'm only stating what I was told. But to think of this, that mean someone is using our code illegally, getting benefits they are not entitled to. Why should someone benefit from our negotiated rate?

Also, I work for a very large multi-national, multi layered company. Our Travel Department is HUGE and not outsourced. You would think we're an accounting firm based on how they audit everything!
At my previous employer, the employees are allowed to use the rate code for personal use in addition to business travel. Ironically, it is an accounting firm.

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Many years ago (>10) I set up my companies (now a former company) SET code with Starwood and I ensured all our travelers used it. We not only received better pricing, but we earned rewards that the company could use for sales promotions.

Over time, I noticed others were using it (as the manager I was given a website where we could see each reservation by employee, property and revenue). Although I was perplexed re how they got our code, it didn't bother me. I figured we may ultimately get better benefits/pricing due to the increased volume. We never did (we were pretty small) but I could've cared less and had other things to focus on rather than worrying about a few people outside the company who were using it.

My guess is the same holds true for the majors and even more importantly with thousands of travelers over multiple locations at these very large entities, they would have a tough time sifting through the reservations and identify non-employees/consultants/interns, etc. Plus why would they bother? Unless Starwood brought down a hammer I can't see why they'd do it. And if Starwood took that stance some of these travel managers may move business to alternate chains (in our case I pushed Starwood as the primary chain to stay at whenever possible). Employees were discouraged to use Hilton/Marriott. And as such, Starwood had 85%+ of our total corp hotel travel.

Please do not misunderstand the intent of the above. I do not feel that people should use a SET code they aren't entitled to. Just providing an interesting look from the other side (imo).
The only time it's an issue is sometimes there's a quota of number of rooms allowed under a specific SET contracted rate. Once that quota is met, the regular rate/BAR prevails.
Old May 1, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by jibi
P.S. - I have never been asked for my ID at any property in the United States, whether it was Starwood, Hyatt, Hilton, Ritz, Marriott, etc. My travel outside of the United States is not typically for work-related functions, so I cannot comment on that side (although I was not asked for ID at the old Ritz in Hong Kong when I visited a few years back ... of course, it was their final month prior to closing, though).
Thanks all for sharing your thoughts and experience. My friend only wants to use my SET code for Sydney and Melburne. Does anyone have been asked for ID in those two places?
Old May 1, 2014, 5:20 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Cana2013
Thanks all for sharing your thoughts and experience. My friend only wants to use my SET code for Sydney and Melburne. Does anyone have been asked for ID in those two places?
Golly, I hate to see you worry about this. Tell ya what. PM the SET code to me. I'll go to Australia and give it a whirl.

No, no. Don't thank me. That's just the kind of guy I am.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Cana2013
My friend only wants to use my SET code for Sydney and Melburne.
Help me understand why you're telling the Lurkers that you're considering this....
Old May 5, 2014, 10:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tangfish
I have had my SET code turn up a rate lower than the lowest standard rate a total of zero times. Totally worthless.
Wow! My experience is the opposite. A third of the time, my association's SET code turns up rates that are lower than even the prepaid rates yet my SET rate in refundable.
Old May 6, 2014, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I know and understand that. I'm only telling you what my company does. Morally I don't feel as though someone should benefit from using an SET code their are not entitled to use.
I would also state the argument as follows: The company has invested its time and expertise in negotiating the special rates. Why then should some stranger with no connection to the company (versus perhaps a connection to an individual employee) benefit from the resources that the company has spent to procure the special rate>
Old May 6, 2014, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Lowest Standard Rate
SPG Cash & Points
My SET Code

When I do this (and I do it for my preferred rate plans whenever I search on spg.com), it holds these preferences only as long as I am logged in, so even if I pause to do something else or spend too much time reading a page, I must check the rates I want to compare all over again. Very frustrating.

Also, I could save a column or two (points and C&P, avoiding temporarily or checking elsewhere whether standard rooms are available) if the left column giving hotel names also showed their categories.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by controller1
Wow! My experience is the opposite. A third of the time, my association's SET code turns up rates that are lower than even the prepaid rates yet my SET rate in refundable.
Wow you must have a great negotiated rate. About 20% of the time my SET gives me the lowest refundable rate. Very occasionally it gives the same as a pre-paid rate ... however I do not think it has ever been lower than the pre-paid rate.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would also state the argument as follows: The company has invested its time and expertise in negotiating the special rates. Why then should some stranger with no connection to the company (versus perhaps a connection to an individual employee) benefit from the resources that the company has spent to procure the special rate>
I know someone who negotiated a good rate (not SPG) for the company he worked for and he gave it out to everyone he could, since the more it was used, the better the rate got. Not sure it the same applies to a SET rate.
Old May 6, 2014, 4:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
Wow you must have a great negotiated rate. About 20% of the time my SET gives me the lowest refundable rate. Very occasionally it gives the same as a pre-paid rate ... however I do not think it has ever been lower than the pre-paid rate.
Over 390,000 people in over 120 countries are able to use the rate, so there is a good amount of leverage!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:04 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Quick refresher. As the original is quite eloquent, though the 6 years mentioned is now 9, I'll quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
As gleff posted some 6 years ago now, the convention in the Starwood forum is that members don't post corporate discount codes.

We have read through this thread again and discussed in considerable detail how this it has gone off track in recent days. It is clear to us that, by far, the largest percentage of forum members prefer things just as they have been for many years. So we see no compelling reason to change this approach.

The posts inviting others to share their corporate SET codes (as well as the discussion surrounding those posts) have been deleted. They will continue to not be allowed, nor will the posts soliciting a private, 'black market' of these codes.

People sharing them amongst themselves, in private, is obviously not of concern to us, but the use of the Starwood forum for mining them is. Members of this board have been are clear that it's not what they want this place to become.

If you have any comments or concerns about this policy, please contact the moderators privately, via the private message system. Do not post them here in this thread, or elsewhere in the forum, as all discussions regarding the actions of moderators must be conducted in private, per the rules of FlyerTalk.

Thank you everyone, for your understanding, even if you disagree with the approach.

AZ Travels the World
& San Diego 1K (now yosithezet and Oxon Flyer)
Starwood Forum Moderators
yosithezet
Co-Moderator, SPG

Last edited by yosithezet; Feb 18, 2015 at 8:12 am
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Quick refresher. As the original is quite eloquent, though the 6 years mentioned is now 9, I'll quote:

yosithezet
Co-Moderator, SPG
Looks like another opportunity for a Wiki page.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta, SPG
So, what is the appropriate way to use SET codes?
In the past, I have been able to call a hotel and ask if they have a specific rate for customers I am visiting, and they have given me the rate without much issue.

Are these rates supposed to be just for employees of the company or is what I am doing above considered okay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.