Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Vietnam General Discussion Thread (Where to go? Which hotel? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam General Discussion Thread (Where to go? Which hotel? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:19 am

You got to pay for a Tower room to get the Tower suite.The main building suite is already very big for 2 persons.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:40 am

Any tips from recent experience re airport transfers? Seems like $5 if you just grab a taxi and around $40-50 for pre-arranged pickup from airport. Having never been there, I'll take any advice you have!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 12:47 am
Community Director Emerita

I've always taken a taxi. It's simple, and I'm happy to keep the money to spend elsewhere.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by quank
Any tips from recent experience re airport transfers? Seems like $5 if you just grab a taxi and around $40-50 for pre-arranged pickup from airport. Having never been there, I'll take any advice you have!
USD5 seems to be on the low side, more like USD6-7 . However, you have to be prepared for the odd taxi with spinning meter etc Trouble with SGN is that they dont really regulate the taxis there, any vehicle with the taxi sign seems to be able to pick-up passengers at the taxi rank. There is a desk at the taxi stand which seems to offer an inflated flat rate of USD10 (or is it USD15), may be an option if you are not confident in dealing with the Vietnamese taxi drivers.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:02 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Krisflyer Silver, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mario33
USD5 seems to be on the low side, more like USD6-7 . However, you have to be prepared for the odd taxi with spinning meter etc Trouble with SGN is that they dont really regulate the taxis there, any vehicle with the taxi sign seems to be able to pick-up passengers at the taxi rank. There is a desk at the taxi stand which seems to offer an inflated flat rate of USD10 (or is it USD15), may be an option if you are not confident in dealing with the Vietnamese taxi drivers.
There are a lot of disreputable taxis in Vietnam. The best way to avoid them is to go with either Vinasun or Mai Linh taxis-- both are reputable brands and will not have "swindle-o-meters". But check the spelling-- my girlfriend once got in a "Mai Lanh" taxi, instead of "Mai Linh"-- with a similar logo and color scheme-- and had to fight the driver for her purse after he turned on the swindly-meter! Ahh, Vietnam.

Actually, though, Vietnam has really come a long way since this thread was started in '05; someone said on the first page that the Sheraton and the Caravelle are the only decent hotels in Saigon. But now there are several hotels at or above the quality of the Sheraton Saigon-- the Caravelle, Rex, and Park Hyatt all come to mind. I stayed at the Rex about three years ago and the Sheraton this year, and the Sheraton was definitely nicer, but the Rex was upgraded this year and is supposedly now six star! Starwood will have to keep upgrading to keep up with the booming economy there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.