Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Vietnam General Discussion Thread (Where to go? Which hotel? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam General Discussion Thread (Where to go? Which hotel? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2005, 9:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by esfox
masonuc,

Could you please detail the "challenges" you faced at the Hanoi property?

Thanks.
Well I had one huge problem that I am still discussing with management, but so far their response has not impressed me. I'll hold on detailing the incident for now -- no reason to write a tell all before the hotel has an opportunity to explain and make amends.

Checkin was a disaster. It took about an hour. I arrived late and tired, and just wanted to take a nap. Instead I was told to go to the executive lounge for a "special platinum" checkin. What a stupid idea, because I just ended up waiting on the couch while they processed everything (slowly). Normally, the benefit of platinum checkin is that it's quick -- they have the hotel key waiting. This was the slowest checkin ever. I realize in Asia it's all about "status" and being recognized, but US business travelers would prefer convenience and speed, I think.

(And, despite the "special" checkin, my amenity points failed to post both times).

I found many other things about the hotel irritating. For instance, I had some valuables I wanted to put in the room safe. The room safe comes with about 100 warnings not to put valuables in it! It was obviously devised by a lawyer with no concept of customer service. (Yes, I'm a lawyer). The room safe indicates that you should use the safety deposit box at the front desk. Scared off by the warnings/disclaimers, I decided to try the deposit boxes.

Sure enough, the safety deposit boxes came with their own absurd warnings and disclaimers ("hotel not liable even if loss due entirely to the hotel's negligence or hotel employee theft"). Great customer service, huh?

Generally the rooms were not as nice as Saigon, either, but my comparison is weak because I always had a suite at the Saigon Sheraton. The shower changed temperatures every 10 seconds -- became very hot or cold for no reason.

The spa was not especially clean or nice and was very, very poorly run. Many of the facilities are located inconveniently, especially with all the construction.

They do not allow Platinum members to cash checks, even though that is supposed to be a Gold/Platinum worldwide benefit (I think).

And the hotel is very far from the city in a neighborhood with a few good restaurants, but it is not a great place to explore Hanoi from. As a business hotel if you've been to Hanoi before, that shouldn't be a problem. But for a tourist the location is dreadful (plus the less time you spend in a Hanoi cab the better, they're quite dangerous).

I stayed in about a dozen luxury hotels in SE Asia and -- even excluding the bizarre incidents and service problems -- the Sheraton Hanoi was the worst value.

Sheraton Saigon was the best value, probably, at 3000 Starwood Points/night.

Last edited by masonuc; Sep 6, 2005 at 10:41 am
Old Sep 6, 2005, 3:53 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by jocelynt
My suggestion to you in Saigon all depends if you are into the bar and club scene at night and tourist activities during the day.
One slight warning re the famed Saigon nightlife, the authorities are doing their best to ruin it at the moment. Not content with the general midnight curfew allowing a few bars to stay open until 1am, some of the Hanoi authorities are down there at the moment and they are being extremely strict in enforcing the midnight curfew in District 1. There was van loads of police patrolling a couple of weeks ago making sure everything was closed.

Even places like Vasco and Apocalypse are being forced to close at midnight which is very unusual as they were previously allowed a certain amount of slack.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 12:21 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
FYI and a Question

As I noted in an earlier post, finally got a reply to email sent to [email protected] (Ms. Thuy is very helpful).

I also emailed her to request restaurant reservations; request was forwarded to [email protected] (with name "Starservice, SSHT" in the address), who promptly made the reservations. So that's another email that might be of value to FTs, but I was wondering if anyone knew what "Starservice" is? That the hotel concierge? Just curious. Thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 9:17 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold, United 1K, Continental Gold
Points of interest

Originally Posted by masonuc
Anyone have advice here? The Sheraton Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) seems way overpriced ($150+ a night). You can buy a house for that much in Vietnam. Hanoi Sheraton is about 1/2 the price. Are either of these hotels worth it compared to other options in the city? How are platinum upgrades? Platinum amenities?
Good news is that it's a category 2 hotel so you can stay comfortably for points. Lovely property.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 9:50 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
Originally Posted by masonuc
I found many other things about the hotel irritating. For instance, I had some valuables I wanted to put in the room safe. The room safe comes with about 100 warnings not to put valuables in it! It was obviously devised by a lawyer with no concept of customer service. (Yes, I'm a lawyer). The room safe indicates that you should use the safety deposit box at the front desk. Scared off by the warnings/disclaimers, I decided to try the deposit boxes.

Sure enough, the safety deposit boxes came with their own absurd warnings and disclaimers ("hotel not liable even if loss due entirely to the hotel's negligence or hotel employee theft"). Great customer service, huh?
That kind of warning is common in other parts of the world, including US.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:04 pm

Couple questions:

Does the hotel have high-speed Internet connections or only dial-up in the rooms and exec lounge?

From reading other posts, there seem to be some rooms with both river and city views. I've read that city views from upper floors are nice. Anyone know how many rooms/suites there are with views of both?

Thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 9:33 pm

Programs: United 1k SPG Platinum Marriott lifetime Titanium
[QUOTE=Chapel Hill Guy]Couple questions:

Does the hotel have high-speed Internet connections or only dial-up in the rooms and exec lounge?

From reading other posts, there seem to be some rooms with both river and city views. I've read that city views from upper floors are nice. Anyone know how many rooms/suites there are with views of both?

Thanks.

The hotel does have high speed internet conenction in your room for a fee. You could buythe internet in your room with the following pricing options. By the day or you could buy by 2 or 3 days , 1 week and I believe 1 month. They also offer free internet connection in the club lounge on the 21st floor.

The suite that offers the complete view of the the city and the river would be the rooms that end in 08. In the bedroom you will be able to see the river and in the living room you will be able to see the city and part of the river. Thats also the room that has the 1 and a half bathroom in that room.
Also the suite that ends in 06 also has a view of the river and city. That room is about half the size and is equipped with a kitchen.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:56 am

One more question

I'm leaving on an early flight (6:15 AM). The Conrads in Asia will prepare a box breakfast for early departures. Does the Sheraton Saigon offer anything similar?
Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:41 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I will be at the Sheraton SGN next Tuesday and Wednesday and will try to file a report. I did request an airport pickup and they promptly confirmed it ($22 US for a Toyota).
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Vulcan
I will be at the Sheraton SGN next Tuesday and Wednesday and will try to file a report. I did request an airport pickup and they promptly confirmed it ($22 US for a Toyota).
You have PM.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
A meter taxi from the airport is $4.00.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:48 pm

Programs: United 1k SPG Platinum Marriott lifetime Titanium
[QUOTE=Chapel Hill Guy]I'm leaving on an early flight (6:15 AM). The Conrads in Asia will prepare a box breakfast for early departures. Does the Sheraton Saigon offer anything similar?

Yes the Sheraton Saigon prepares a box breakfast consist of orange juice, Aquafina bottle water, assorted pasties. You would have to let the staff on the Executive floor know that you would like to request the breakfast box and you will be able to pick it up in the morning at the front lobby as you depart. Hope that helps.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
pasties.
Pasties, huh? Are those left over from the unregistered "guests" at the hotel?

Old Sep 21, 2005, 1:47 pm

[QUOTE=jocelynt]
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
I'm leaving on an early flight (6:15 AM). The Conrads in Asia will prepare a box breakfast for early departures. Does the Sheraton Saigon offer anything similar?

Yes the Sheraton Saigon prepares a box breakfast consist of orange juice, Aquafina bottle water, assorted pasties. You would have to let the staff on the Executive floor know that you would like to request the breakfast box and you will be able to pick it up in the morning at the front lobby as you depart. Hope that helps.
jocelynt: Thanks again for the great info. ^
Old Sep 30, 2005, 5:56 am

Upgrade for the first night only and get all other nights upgraded for free?

I just spoke to the people on the Executive Floor regarding what Gold members will usually receive as a Gold Member. If the hotel is not busy on the dates that you have or will book then they will give you an upgrade from your 35m room to a 43m or if they could to the 55m room. No Executive Lounge benefits at all without booking and paying for it. Also I was told that Gold Members will be able to receive late 4PM check out. Hope that helps in making your decision.
I'm curious what is likely to happen if I upgrade for only the first night of my multi-night stay. As a gold, are they likely to let me & Ms. Rasputin stay in the same room with the same benefits, or will they force us to change rooms and downgrade us. It's really the executive lounge benefits we want, not the upgraded room, so curious if it's possible to achieve this by paying for one night only. (I looked for this topic on the board but couldn't find it despite a number of searches.) Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.